• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New - Trainee drivers MTR Crossrail Plumstead Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JoDo

Thanks buddy, I got their alert service on but it always takes a day after the advert is live to come through.

Much appreciated dear sir or ma'am
??????

RHP202020

Another fantastic opportunity to join a well established TOC. Good luck to everyone applying for this post.

theironroad

Established Member
Another fantastic opportunity to join a well established TOC. Good luck to everyone applying for this post.

MTR crossrail has only existed for a couple of years, so not sure how it can be called well estsblished, but good luck to all who apply.

RHP202020

MTR crossrail has only existed for a couple of years, so not sure how it can be called well estsblished, but good luck to all who apply.

Sorry I didn't made it clear. When I said well established company I was specifically referring to MTR on its own. :D

Termy

One application submitted yesterday, and online questionnaire completed by myself today. Pretty exciting stuff!

Thank you for posting it up here!

Jonb106

One application submitted yesterday, and online questionnaire completed by myself today. Pretty exciting stuff!

Thank you for posting it up here!

Did you notice that on the OPC assessment it asked if you lived within 40min of old oak common and not plumstead?

I clicked 'yes' anyway in the hope they realise the mistake?!

JoDo

I've been sent the email with test code but when I click on the link it just says server can't be found.

stevieoz

The link on mine doesnt work and I cant find another way to access it?

anybody else having this problem or anybody know a simple solution??

Termy

I got a second email with a fixed link at about 4pm today, so the easiest way to get into the online assessment is to use the link in the second email if you got it. Else use the link from the email, but remove the %20 at the start of the link when you go there. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did you notice that on the OPC assessment it asked if you lived within 40min of old oak common and not plumstead?

I clicked 'yes' anyway in the hope they realise the mistake?!

I did indeed clock it said Old Oak Common. I intend to relocate for the role, so ticked no but really hope I get to explain than I am more than willing to relocate, and relish the challenge. :3

Jonb106

The link on mine doesnt work and I cant find another way to access it?

anybody else having this problem or anybody know a simple solution??

I had same problem. I copied and pasted the link and it worked. (Removing a space that was in the text that shouldn't have been there)

Spectroscopic

Just completed the SJT for this. I am new to the world of train driving SJT's.

Any qualified train drivers offer some advice. Do they always want you to follow regulations strictly to the letter? Do they always want you to prioritise safety over running a service on time or do they want you to be flexible and use your judgement?

Lrd

Established Member

Any qualified train drivers offer some advice. Do they always want you to follow regulations strictly to the letter? Do they always want you to prioritise safety over running a service on time or do they want you to be flexible and use your judgement?
It's your judgement, put down what you think is right.

Spectroscopic

It's your judgement, put down what you think is right.

I did put down what I think is right, I am just asking in realty if you are doing your pre-departure checks and your manager comes down and tells you to hurry up because there are some VIP passengers what happens in practice?

Rocket

I did put down what I think is right, I am just asking in realty if you are doing your pre-departure checks and your manager comes down and tells you to hurry up because there are some VIP passengers what happens in practice?

If you want to be a train driver, never compromise anything over safety.

Safety Is paramount, and a manager shouldn't put you in that position for a start.

You should really know this, if you're applying for a driver position.

Just remember, It will be you standing in the dock if anything goes wrong !!...not the manager.

You will not last 5 minutes reading some of your posts, if you can be easily influenced by others.

I don't mean to be rude....

Last edited:

theking

Seriously you might want to reevaluate whether train driving is the right career choice for you.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Always prioritise safety. Sometimes that will involve a judgement call.

In reality you will almost never see your Manager. They wouldn't come and ask you to hurry up either. I would also expect a Manager to act within the rules in any case. Therefore, they wouldn't interrupt you whilst you were setting up the cab or during the PTI process.

You will not last 5 minutes reading some of your posts, if you can be easily influenced by others.

I don't mean to be rude....

Not sure where your coming from but I checked the posting history and couldn't see anything to suggest that. Only thing I saw was multiple applications to multiple places.

Gekko5154

No need for statements like that @Rocket! Here on this forum we should only promote encouragement and aid if needs be. A fellow user posts a simple question so a simple answer is what's required and possibly an explanation not derogatory comments. People can learn and with the right attitude and commitment can become a great train driver lasting more than 5mins.

Interlude

Good luck to all who apply!

I'm starting as a trainee with MTR in a couple of weeks, having applied in October 2015, so be prepared for a long application process. It'll be well worth the wait though!

Last edited:

Spectroscopic

Seriously you might want to reevaluate whether train driving is the right career choice for you.

Based on what? Me asking a question...

I am asking what happens in reality Vs what is supposed to happen in theory.

You have no knowledge of my responses to the SJT.

bramling

Veteran Member

Being cynical, safety comes first except when someone's scorecard it at stake, then unfortunately people can find themselves being bullied into doing things against their better judgement, as well as official rules. Fortunately the driving grade is reasonably well insulated from this because of things like the Rule Book, but sometimes a strong personality is needed.

Last edited:

Rocket

What they are trying to say and like i said...Yes your have to follow the rules and regs, without a doubt. If you don't, you're out the door.

Your quote

"Do they always want you to follow regulations strictly to the letter? Do they always want you to prioritise safety over running a service on time or do they want you to be flexible and use your judgement?"

That quote above, would have lead me to think you could be swayed, hence why i said the remark. I apologise for that.

I understand that you don't know much about the railway, but safety comes first.

I'll put this in a different perspective:

Would you has a driver, prioritise right time service over safety ?, or if a manager said to you, "you're going to cost the company 4k for making that service late", would you go ?.

I understand your knowledge, but you have ask for a driver to answer the question, which i have.

I think new drivers should at least have some railway experience before joining the footplate grade and your question has answered that. It would give you some idea what the railway is about, even something like train dispatching, you would learn rules and regs..

I'm not putting you down or anyone else for that fact...Yep the training can bring you up to speed for most.

Last edited:

Zayan

Hi everyone,
I recently applied for the position of a Trainee Train Driver with Cross. I sent my cover letter and submitted their online application which is stage 1 and got me to stage 2 where I have to answer an online questionnaire about how i like the job, Crossraill history and scenarios.
COULD ANYONE ENLIGHT ME ON WHAT AM I TO EXPECT AND I SHOULD ANSWER??
Thanks guys

TRain87

Hi everyone,
I recently applied for the position of a Trainee Train Driver with Cross. I sent my cover letter and submitted their online application which is stage 1 and got me to stage 2 where I have to answer an online questionnaire about how i like the job, Crossraill history and scenarios.
Thanks guys

No one is gong to tell you what to answer! It's based on your preferences!

Zayan

No one is gong to tell you what to answer! It's based on your preferences!

Ok i get that
And after thats done what are the next tests? And how long will I have to revise?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi everyone,
Thanks guys

If anyone could tell me what are the next tests and what CDs and/or books to buy, I would really appreciate. Thanks

theking

If you had done any research or had any knowledge of what train driving involves, you wouldn't even have needed to ask such a question.

Are you allowed to make a judgement call relating to safety to run on time was basically your question.

If you even make it to the mmi you will get eaten alive for a hint of suggesting such a thing.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I think new drivers should at least have some railway experience before joining the footplate grade and your question has answered that. It would give you some idea what the railway is about, even something like train dispatching, you would learn rules and regs.

Problem now days, you have to jump in at the deep end and over the years, i have seen a lot **** ups, with inadequate training.

I'm not putting you down or anyone else for that fact...Yep the training can bring you up to speed for most.

That can go both both ways, though. The guys taking my rules course said they preferred classes of people "off the street" because in their experience former guards/platform staff often struggled to go back to square one in the classroom, and had the wrong attitude.

Good drivers can come from all backgrounds. I'm not sure that having previous experience doing a different job in the industry is beneficial.

It would be interesting to see statistics on how "off the street" drivers compare with drivers who were previously railstaff in terms of incidents.

Last edited:

Rocket

That can go both both ways, though. The guys taking my rules course said they preferred classes of people "off the street" because in their experience former guards/platform staff often struggled to go back to square one in the classroom, and had the wrong attitude.

Good drivers can come from all backgrounds. I'm not sure that having previous experience doing a different job in the industry is beneficial.

It would be interesting to see statistics on how "off the street" drivers compare with drivers who were previously railstaff in terms of incidents.

You are right and drivers do come from all different backgrounds.

There was a stage if i can remember, that the railway were looking for specific types of people for the drivers roles...... i.e from the army, transport drivers, police etc.

Your first comment, is a standard comment from what a manager states, I've been on the railway long enough to hear that a number of times.

We do have incident charts that also shows if the driver is a PQ or not.

I wish everyone the best in their applications, and hope you get what you want.

I hear MTR Crossrail are pretty good to work for.

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
Your first comment, is a standard comment from what a manager states, I've been on the railway long enough to hear that a number of times.

It's the same quote for us qualified drivers. They would take trainees over us, because they want to mould the newbies into robots, than having a ex BR driver.

It wasn't a "standard comment" and it wasn't made by a manager. It was made by someone whose been involved in driver training since the days of BR, and must have passed out hundreds of drivers. I have no reason to doubt what was said.

I'm not trying to get into an argument, but we should remember this thread is for people who are applying for trainee driver roles. I wouldn't want anyone reading it to believe that they will be at a disadvantage because of not having previous railway experience. My experience of the process was that it was a level playing field. They were more interested in peoples' potential to be drivers rather than what they had done previously.

With respect you're obviously entitled to your opinion that it's better for new drivers to have previous railway experience, but that is quite an old fashioned view nowadays and I'm not sure it's supported by any evidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.