• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

News and updates on model railway products

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
For all of you with £269.99 to spend:

R30231 HM The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee West Country No. 70 ‘Elizabeth ll’ - Era 11​

1650535395091.png1650535413915.png1650535427412.png

£269.99

The Queen's Platinum Jubilee 2022

Commemorating the longest reign in the history of a British Monarch, this Platinum Jubilee steam locomotive is based on the 2022 Severn Valley Railway temporary repainting and renaming of SR West Country Class 34027 'Taw Valley'. Boasting a striking royal purple livery, the locomotive marks Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's 70th anniversary on the throne.

1650535454391.png

Severn Valley Railway

In recognition of such a historic milestone, the Platinum Jubilee year locomotive has been renamed 'Elizabeth II' and renumbered as '70'.

This partnership with Severn Valley Railway will see a limited edition run of just 1,500 locomotives. Don't miss your chance to add a piece of royal history to your model railway layout.

Product Info​

In a move that sparked worldwide excitement in 2022, the Severn Valley Railway commissioned the temporary repainting and renaming of SR West Country Class 34027 ‘Taw Valley’. A head turning purple livery was chosen to mark the 70th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s reign and her Platinum Jubilee year.
Renamed by public vote, ‘Elizabeth II’ commemorates the longest reign in the history of a British Monarch, and as further recognition of this historic milestone, the locomotive has been renumbered as ‘70’.
In partnership with the Severn Valley Railway, Hornby is proud to produce this representation of the locomotive, in a limited edition of 1,500. The SVR and Hornby are donating a proportion of the profits from the sale of ‘Elizabeth II’ to The Patron’s Fund which supports the charitable organisations across the UK and the Commonwealth for which Her Majesty acts as a Patron.

Looks like they've used the artist's impression shade of purple (in fact there are a couple of photos on the page, and one on the box, of these artist's impressions), rather than the actual, much lighter, shade. There are some photos of the real thing at the bottom of the page.

-Peter

EDIT: Just seen this, from the SVR on Twitter:
We've of our initial allocation of Hornby limited edition 00 Gauge Platinum Jubilee West Country No 70. 'Elizabeth II' models. Sign up to our waiting list to be the first to know when they're back in stock! https://forms.office.com/r/LFZkLgkNJN

#SVRFamily #PurpleTrain

reddragon

Established Member
For all of you with £269.99 to spend:

Looks like they've used the artist's impression shade of purple (in fact there are a couple of photos on the page, and one on the box, of these artist's impressions), rather than the actual, much lighter, shade. There are some photos of the real thing at the bottom of the page.

-Peter

EDIT: Just seen this, from the SVR on Twitter:
Err nope!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a real shame. I managed to raise £269 and 11p but I just fell short (yes I did check down the back of both sofas).

Iskra

Established Member
£269.99 for a model first made in 2002 :D :D :D

I considered picking up a cheap clan last night from Kernow but even at £160 I thought better of it with the cheap 2000’s plastic finish

Peter C

Established Member
That’s a real shame. I managed to raise £269 and 11p but I just fell short (yes I did check down the back of both sofas).
Damn and blast! Do you think we could gather some money together as a forum? Then we could probably afford one to share between us - we each have it for a week then send it on? ;)

£269.99 for a model first made in 2002 :D :D :D

I considered picking up a cheap clan last night from Kernow but even at £160 I thought better of it with the cheap 2000’s plastic finish
It's ludicrous - I'd perhaps expect a slight price increase for it given it's a limited edition, but then I'd expect the price to begin with to be £100 less (at least!).

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
I'd be interested to see what these models are should there be these big sales. Could provide a quite interesting look at which models are less popular! As with so many sales, I'm sure even the models which were originally less-popular will sell quickly once they're that bit cheaper.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Thing is, the model rail boom over lockdown is over. The bargains I have got are brilliant this year.

With the cost of living crisis, people choosing to spend their money on trips, eating out & holidays, plus bumper deliveries to model shops that perfect storm has arrived!

Peter C

Established Member
It really is an odd time at the moment in the world of model railways, isn't it? I would say something about hoping the prices of models will go down but I think we all know that's like wishing for a pig to fly... :lol:

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thing is, the model rail boom over lockdown is over. The bargains I have got are brilliant this year.

With the cost of living crisis, people choosing to spend their money on trips, eating out & holidays, plus bumper deliveries to model shops that perfect storm has arrived!

These are very good points actually. I’d also add in the case of N gauge (I don’t think this happens so much with 00), releasing niche models like this:
62712515-17C0-4CAE-B04E-2FBAD0B986BE.jpeg

Is utterly mad when you can’t buy Network Southeast versions of the same thing because they haven’t made any for years.
That’s basic bread and butter stuff that many people need and I’ve seen NSE ones going for £60 on eBay, whereas the ones pictured are already being discounted by stores that can’t shift them (and no I don’t want any)!

Iskra

Established Member
So Hornby have officially cancelled the Titfield Thunderbold & Lady with the Lamp https://uk.hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/news/press-release-trains-film

Whole debacle has made Hornby appear very shady by attempting to manufacture a product they did not have legal intelllctual property for...
Quite a curt apology too :D

They have also recently slashed pre-order stock levels that they had already committed to supplying to retailers, creating a lot of bad blood in the process.

Hornby are coming across as a really poorly run business at the moment. They need to change their ways fast as the likes of Accurascale are going to end up taking market share. Gone are the days when Hornby was the only name in town.

RichJF

They have also recently slashed pre-order stock levels that they had already committed to supplying to retailers, creating a lot of bad blood in the process.

Hornby are coming across as a really poorly run business at the moment. They need to change their ways fast as the likes of Accurascale are going to end up taking market share. Gone are the days when Hornby was the only name in town.

Simon Kohler. Buck stops with him. The TV series left me asking how someone so amateur & seemingly bitter can run a company with marginal economic margins.

reddragon

Established Member

I ordered a Hornby Loco from Hattons for £160. Hornby introduced the 'tier' system and 'cancelled' Hattons. Harsh to customers
I re-ordered from Kernow as Hornby had also 'cancelled' Rails for £180
I got an email from Kernow that the price was now £241.95 and the best they could afford to offer was £221.95.
I cancelled and ordered an Accurascale loco instead for £250 DCC sound fitted!

Iskra

Established Member
I ordered a Hornby Loco from Hattons for £160. Hornby introduced the 'tier' system and 'cancelled' Hattons. Harsh to customers
I re-ordered from Kernow as Hornby had also 'cancelled' Rails for £180
I got an email from Kernow that the price was now £241.95 and the best they could afford to offer was £221.95.
I cancelled and ordered an Accurascale loco instead for £250 DCC sound fitted!
That's a shocking example of how customers and retailers are being messed about!

What Accurascale loco did you go for?

reddragon

Established Member
That's a shocking example of how customers and retailers are being messed about!

What Accurascale loco did you go for?
GWR 7819

Class 55 delivered, Class 92 due this year, GWR Manor & Class 37 next year. Several Hornby orders cancelled.

Awaiting a class 31 in a livery / number that I want.

Iskra

Established Member
GWR 7819

Class 55 delivered, Class 92 due this year, GWR Manor & Class 37 next year. Several Hornby orders cancelled.

Awaiting a class 31 in a livery / number that I want.
Very nice! Currently, I have a 37 and some CS Mk5's on order.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm looking forward to the Accurascale Class 31

Anyone looking to sell a mint post office red Southern MLV...?

Don't use eBay as my account has been hacked many times
I'm looking forward to the Accurascale 31 too. I have two on order, a blue ETH fitted one, and the "skinhead" in Railfreight grey.

I don't have an MLV I'm afraid, closest thing in my fleet is a Heljan 128 in Royal Mail colours which I may move on at some point.

RichJF

Is a manufacturer ever going to produce a Southern EMU post 1980? Like a 319, 455 or Electrostar? Huge gap in the modelling world that many like portraying. Market is saturated with constant reproductions of 37s, 47s, 56s & 90s :frown: