• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No trains to call at Altnabreac for the foreseeable future

kkong

ScotRail's 22 January 2024 response to a Freedom of Information request states that the most recent (at least, as of November 2023) trouble relates to the residents of Station House attempting to prevent access to a 20m long path between the private road and the station platform.

Network Rail have stated that they are the owners of the path.

The most recent focus centres around a 20 metre path between the private road and the station platform. They have tried to prevent Network Rail, ScotRail, Transport Scotland, and contractor staff accessing the station to undertake works. While many of the interactions have been civil, some have been threatening and intimidating.
Network Rail has confirmed the footway between the private road and the station platform is in its ownership. Efforts to resolve the situation to date include obtaining an interdict and seeking support from the police. However, the neighbours are not prepared to listen to reason and continue to threaten anyone looking to take access to the railway to carry out work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

honoraryjanner

There you have it.

Personally, although others have mentioned the owner of Lochdhu lodge as potentially being involved, I'm not sure why he'd be bothered either way. He's a fair distance from the station and hidden away in forestry

Gloster

Established Member
I have a feeling from items that I have read elsewhere that the other, longer running dispute may be over the damage that it is claimed that Network Rail’s vehicles are doing to the access track from the nearest public road. The track is a private one, but Network Rail has a wayleave, or the Scottish equivalent of one, to allow it to reach Altnabreac. It is possible that the size of the vehicles and the frequency that they use it has increased in recent years. The details are not really clear, but this is my interpretation of the situation.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have a feeling from items that I have read elsewhere that the other, longer running dispute may be over the damage that it is claimed that Network Rail’s vehicles are doing to the access track from the nearest public road. The track is a private one, but Network Rail has a wayleave, or the Scottish equivalent of one, to allow it to reach Altnabreac. It is possible that the size of the vehicles and the frequency that they use it has increased in recent years. The details are not really clear, but this is my interpretation of the situation.

Perhaps that needs to be compulsorily purchased.

mike57

Established Member
Personally, although others have mentioned the owner of Lochdhu lodge as potentially being involved, I'm not sure why he'd be bothered either way. He's a fair distance from the station and hidden away in forestry
Maybe not directly related, but there is some general strangeness, have a look at some images from Google maps of the area around Lochdu Lodge, very obviously not the Scottish Highlands, if you zoom in and click on the blue dots after enabling the yellow 'stick man'. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but it feels like there are people who wish to cut themselves off from the world in the area.

I do think that Network Rail either need to exercise their rights, get the station open again, and if that results in a showdown with the residents then the law needs to be applied, all the way to imprisonment if appropriate, the alternative is to get the station closed. The current to and fro just seems like a waste of taxpayers money, as I assume the Far North Line has to be subsidised.

1710319035234.png

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Given the money that this dispute must be costing various people, were I network Rail I would be suggesting that the station be reopened and as a courtesy that we would upgrade the track to a non-classified road status with a proper tarmac surface and keep it reasonably maintained within reason, if this is the bugbear of residence and also try and ensure that vehicles are kept the minimum

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given the money that this dispute must be costing various people, were I network Rail I would be suggesting that the station be reopened and as a courtesy that we would upgrade the track to a non-classified road status with a proper tarmac surface and keep it reasonably maintained within reason, if this is the bugbear of residence and also try and ensure that vehicles are kept the minimum

The station is a lovely quirk and it'd be sad to lose it, but it's hardly justifiable to spend serious money on it given its low usage.

On the other hand, even if it is decided to close it, the people involved must not be allowed to get away with this behaviour either.

paul1609

Established Member
Perhaps that needs to be compulsorily purchased.
I'm not familiar with the legal situation in Scotland but in England if challenged it's unlikely that Network Rail would succeed in attempt to compulsory purchase 8 miles of track. There's absolutely no reason why they can't maintain the station and level crossing by rail

Gloster

Established Member
I don’t think that any dispute over the state and use of the track is with the residents of the station house, but with another party. The dispute with the residents of the house appears to be over access to the platform and its immediate vicinity.

kkong

The station is a lovely quirk and it'd be sad to lose it, but it's hardly justifiable to spend serious money on it given its low usage.

Another part of the ScotRail FoI response which I linked to in post #211 makes clear the Scottish Government's position on station closures.

From Transport Scotland's Director of Rail:

It is the policy of the Scottish Government that there will be no closure of stations on the Scottish rail network, and our clear expectation, therefore, is that ScotRail and Network Rail will work to deliver that policy and avoid the need for closure – even on a temporary basis.
You will appreciate that the closure of a railway station is properly subject to statutory process in order to protect the interest of users and in Scotland requires the consent of Scottish Ministers. I note your proposal is for a temporary suspension having regards to safety considerations, but this must not be allowed to take on the character of a de facto closure for an extended period, nor should any communications suggest that.
...I must encourage you, and more particularly Network Rail as the Landlord, to take all necessary steps to resume services as soon as safely practicable, and to keep my team apprised of progress so we may keep Ministers informed.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Maybe not directly related, but there is some general strangeness, have a look at some images from Google maps of the area around Lochdu Lodge, very obviously not the Scottish Highlands, if you zoom in and click on the blue dots after enabling the yellow 'stick man'. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but it feels like there are people who wish to cut themselves off from the world in the area.

I do think that Network Rail either need to exercise their rights, get the station open again, and if that results in a showdown with the residents then the law needs to be applied, all the way to imprisonment if appropriate, the alternative is to get the station closed. The current to and fro just seems like a waste of taxpayers money, as I assume the Far North Line has to be subsidised.
Regarding the blue dots (user uploaded photographs by 'Ideal Insight'), they look like estate agent sales type pictures. Crossed wires on Google? The first picture I viewed shows a view out of a window with an 'oil rig'.

As to access:
Network Rail has an agreement with the private owner of the forestry plantation surrounding the station to use their tracks to access the station for maintenance purposes.
Since 2019 the proprietors of the former station house have sought to prevent access to the station. The most recent focus centres around a 20metre path between the private road and the station platform. They have tried to prevent Network Rail, ScotRail, Transport Scotland, and contractor staff accessing the station to undertake works. While many of the interactions have been civil, some have been threatening and intimidating.
Network Rail has confirmed the footway between the private road and the station platform is in its ownership. Efforts to resolve the situation to date include obtaining an interdict and seeking support from the police. However, the neighbours are not prepared to listen to reason and continue to threaten anyone looking to take access to the railway to carry out work.
ScotRail will use the attention generated by the temporary suspension of services to convene and chair a multi-agency task force. This will comprise of elected members, Network Rail, BTP, Police Scotland, Highlands and Islands Transport Partnership (Hitrans), Highland Council, Caithness Chamber, and Friends of the Far North Line. This forum will meet urgently and prepare a multi-agency plan to resolve the issue and enable the access for railway staff to maintain and service the station. ScotRail services will start calling at the station as soon as this maintenance access is provided.
Taken from the oft quoted FOI request.

Gloster

Established Member
A multi-agency task force! Send a Network Rail lawyer and an authorised member of the local Procurator Fiscal’s staff (or of whichever authority has the responsibility), supported/protected by a couple of BTP or McPlod, formally tell them what they can and can’t do, and make it clear that any transgression will mean a holiday in Barlinnie. They have been indulged too long, and it is probably making them more and more certain that they are ‘right’.

zwk500

Veteran Member
A multi-agency task force! Send a Network Rail lawyer and an authorised member of the local Procurator Fiscal’s staff (or of whichever authority has the responsibility), supported/protected by a couple of BTP or McPlod, formally tell them what they can and can’t do, and make it clear that any transgression will mean a holiday in Barlinnie. They have been indulged too long, and it is probably making them more and more certain that they are ‘right’.
It has been mentioned several times that the individuals refuse to listen, so sending lawyers around even with police assistance is likely to achieve precisely nothing, for what one assumes would be a fairly steep hourly cost.

It does feel like the most likely outcome is waiting until something altogether more serious occurs, at which point the proverbial book can be thrown at them. Unfortunately that then puts staff at risk of being the victim of such an incident.

Gloster

Established Member
It has been mentioned several times that the individuals refuse to listen, so sending lawyers around even with police assistance is likely to achieve precisely nothing, for what one assumes would be a fairly steep hourly cost.

It does feel like the most likely outcome is waiting until something altogether more serious occurs, at which point the proverbial book can be thrown at them. Unfortunately that then puts staff at risk of being the victim of such an incident.

The purpose would be put down an absolutely clear marker. Thereafter they would have no defence of believing they were in the right if any transgression occurred. If they do transgress the authorities can take action for a clear and deliberate breach of any agreement.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The purpose would be put down an absolutely clear marker. Thereafter they would have no defence of believing they were in the right if any transgression occurred. If they do transgress the authorities can take action for a clear and deliberate breach of any agreement.
Haven't they already been formally warned and even arrested several times? I really don't see how much clearer a marker would be laid down by a crack squad of attorneys that wasn't already made by the silver bracelets.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Interesting but not much point if, as soon as they are released, they go back to their (alleged) tricks.
Transportation to Australia* and make them walk back would delay that re-offending slightly.
A lifetime custodial sentence is rather unlikely.
The statement is that 'the neighbours are not prepared to listen to reason'. You cannot 'win /win' a negotiation if one side is determined they are right and aren't bothered about achieving that 'win / win' outcome but are prepared to go all out for a 'win all / lose all' instead.

*A turn of phrase.

skyhigh

Established Member
The rumour I've seen elsewhere is that they have threatened to build a wall across the line...

Gloster

Established Member
Strange as their actions so far have been, I somewhat doubt that they want to build a wall across the line (although I could be wrong). More likely, they want to build a wall on the platform to separate the house from the part of the platform used by trains. Even so, this is probably illegal according to any covenants that they agreed to when they bought the house.

Based only on knowledge of how stories get twisted.

The Puddock

Strange as their actions so far have been, I somewhat doubt that they want to build a wall across the line (although I could be wrong). More likely, they want to build a wall on the platform to separate the house from the part of the platform used by trains. Even so, this is probably illegal according to any covenants that they agreed to when they bought the house.

Based only on knowledge of how stories get twisted.
I understand they have previously told rail staff that they wish to build a fence across the line, which they regard as running over land they own. Though I’ve only heard that third or fourth hand so I can’t vouch for its accuracy!

mike57

Established Member
Crossed wires on Google?
Maybe, maybe not. It appears to be/was owned by another person with an 'interesting' past.

Bearing in mind the costs associated with all this are going to fall on the taxpayer it needs a heavyhanded approach to bring it to a swift conclusion, even if that results in those causing the obstructions to be removed from the area either to a place of safety if its determined that they are mentally ill or a custodial stay if it is judged to be just criminality.

kkong

Maybe, maybe not. It appears to be/was owned by another person with an 'interesting' past.

Bearing in mind the costs associated with all this are going to fall on the taxpayer it needs a heavyhanded approach to bring it to a swift conclusion, even if that results in those causing the obstructions to be removed from the area either to a place of safety if its determined that they are mentally ill or a custodial stay if it is judged to be just criminality.

As mentioned upthread on 5th March, they have been charged and there is an ongoing court process.

Travelmonkey

The rumour I've seen elsewhere is that they have threatened to build a wall across the line...
Prehaps they need a meeting with Trump next time hs visits his Scottish golf retreat ,

I went to another "closed" station a while ago although this one being in Staffordshire not Scotland had correct NR signage,

*white sign with black text reading "Acsess to Platform prohibited due to condition with the Network rail logo top right*

Attachments

• 20231220_090432.jpg
    20231220_090432.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 221

Elecman

Established Member
Prehaps they need a meeting with Trump next time hs visits his Scottish golf retreat ,

I went to another "closed" station a while ago although this one being in Staffordshire not Scotland had correct NR signage,

*white sign with black text reading "Acsess to Platform prohibited due to condition with the Network rail logo top right*
Wedgewood??

Travelmonkey

Wedgewood??
Indeed. Need to go back to see if my message about the broken lock was acted upon on the down platform but that's a totally different topic, I do hope the Altanabreac situation is sorted before there is an incident causing a accident. Although a RAIB investigation would lean more to getting the agitators away,

Fatboyslim

When you look at old pictures of the station, there does appear to be some sort of garden in the grassed area adjoining the platform. Clearly this grass is getting cut by someone, looking at the recent pictures. What I find odd, is when I travel on the network, closed station houses and accommodation always have some sort of fenced border between the platform area and the adjoining property. There is no such arrangement here. And looking at the plans for the station, the boundary does appear to be the wall of the property. So, is some sort of land-grabbing going on here? Although the new owners are making a name for themselves, the old owner by all accounts was just as bad. Must have been an agreement of sale, to carry on kicking off...

honoraryjanner

When you look at old pictures of the station, there does appear to be some sort of garden in the grassed area adjoining the platform. Clearly this grass is getting cut by someone, looking at the recent pictures. What I find odd, is when I travel on the network, closed station houses and accommodation always have some sort of fenced border between the platform area and the adjoining property. There is no such arrangement here. And looking at the plans for the station, the boundary does appear to be the wall of the property. So, is some sort of land-grabbing going on here? Although the new owners are making a name for themselves, the old owner by all accounts was just as bad. Must have been an agreement of sale, to carry on kicking off...
Much as I love visiting the place, I think you probably have to be a bit, shall we say, "unusual" to want to live there.

bramling

Veteran Member
Much as I love visiting the place, I think you probably have to be a bit, shall we say, "unusual" to want to live there.

What I don’t really get with these places, is why if you want to be remote and undisturbed, people choose to buy a house on a station platform. The only logical rationale is that this pulls the asking price down (does it?), hence why people then try to do everything possible to discourage people from actually using the associated station.

In the case of Altnabraec is seems they are simply trying it on, knowing that being in the middle of nowhere they are more likely to get away with it.

Llangunllo seems the same. It’s quite conspicuous that the residents there don’t want people using the station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There's I think something quite idyllic about the idea of owning a remote station building, but I think a disused station is preferable as that doesn't have the annoyance of passengers in the way.