• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No trains to call at Altnabreac for the foreseeable future

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Llangunllo seems the same. It’s quite conspicuous that the residents there don’t want people using the station.
how do you access that station?
There's I think something quite idyllic about the idea of owning a remote station building, but I think a disused station is preferable as that doesn't have the annoyance of passengers in the way.
It would be lovely. I wouldn't mind about passengers. They aren't sat in my front room and if they were on the platform outside my front window would it be any different from someone in the street outside my terrace?

I would give my left wotsit to own the station house at Fenny Stratford! I would have to give my right one to do it up mind!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
how do you access that station?

You may well ask!

It is on a remote country lane some distance outside the village. You essentially have to walk through what appears to be someone’s front drive, and then walk through a tiny alley round the side of the house to reach the platform. The aforementioned alley when I went there was strewn with children’s toys and washing. Someone arriving from the road side for the first time would have no idea how to reach the platform as there is zero signage to indicate the access route, presumably this has all “conveniently” disappeared. The owners of the house aren’t hostile as such, however they do seem to engage in passive-aggressive methods to make people feel uncomfortable when on the platform.

would it be any different from someone in the street outside my terrace?

Some people don’t like that either.

There's I think something quite idyllic about the idea of owning a remote station building, but I think a disused station is preferable as that doesn't have the annoyance of passengers in the way.

What does happen at disused stations is people do occasionally turn up to have a look or take photos. Can’t see this being an issue as long as people don’t trespass, however there have been a few issues where property owners have kicked off. I read something on social media about a right slanging match at one of the stations on the Brill branch.

The root of the all this is perhaps that there’s a lot of people in this country who seem to have little fruitful to occupy their time apart from sitting staring out of their front window! Wish I had time for that…

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
A multi-agency task force! Send a Network Rail lawyer and an authorised member of the local Procurator Fiscal’s staff (or of whichever authority has the responsibility), supported/protected by a couple of BTP or McPlod, formally tell them what they can and can’t do, and make it clear that any transgression will mean a holiday in Barlinnie. They have been indulged too long, and it is probably making them more and more certain that they are ‘right’.
They should send in Hamish MacBeth and TV John McIver. (Hope someone will understand this).

InOban

Established Member
The couple were in court in Wick this week accused of stealing NR property

Starmill

Veteran Member
The couple were in court in Wick this week accused of stealing NR property
Indeed. Wick Sherriff Court rolls show that on Wednesday 20 March 2024, Ian Appleby and Elizabeth Howe appeared before Sherriff Mark Lindsay. They were bailed.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

mike57

Established Member
doesn't have the annoyance of passengers in the way.
The highest annual usage I could see is 658 in 2017-8 so thats about 2 per day. We live in a quiet village on a cul-de-sac, and we see more people than that. Obviously the remoteness is an attraction, but to be honest the current owners just seem to be hell bent on causing trouble. Not sure of their motivation, and it will eventually end badly for them I would guess, but not before its cost the taxpayer a load of money.

Personally having a functioning small station outside the door would be a plus point.

bramling

Veteran Member
thanks! only been past on the train and could not work out how you got to the platform!

I suspect some unfamiliar users may well use the UWC crossing which is 20-30 metres from the platform ramp, and walk the short distance along the ballast.

No doubt the daft situation will probably at some point result in some kind of near-miss with someone doing that, at which point things will get dealt with.

I suspect the station isn’t particularly well used, and this may well be partly why.

The highest annual usage I could see is 658 in 2017-8 so thats about 2 per day. We live in a quiet village on a cul-de-sac, and we see more people than that. Obviously the remoteness is an attraction, but to be honest the current owners just seem to be hell bent on causing trouble. Not sure of their motivation, and it will eventually end badly for them I would guess, but not before its cost the taxpayer a load of money.

Personally having a functioning small station outside the door would be a plus point.

Where these particular owners seem to be making a rod for their own back is interfering with railway staff. What is unfortunate is if they were merely being obstructive to people using the station then they’d probably get away with it.

Is the Acton Bridge situation still going on? That seems to have gone quiet now.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I suspect some unfamiliar users may well use the UWC crossing which is 20-30 metres from the platform ramp, and walk the short distance along the ballast.

No doubt the daft situation will probably at some point result in some kind of near-miss with someone doing that, at which point things will get dealt with.
Maybe this possibility played a part in the the decision for the current temporary suspension of all services from the station.

bramling

Veteran Member
Maybe this possibility played a part in the the decision for the current temporary suspension of all services from the station.

Apologies I wasn’t clear in what I wrote, I was referring to Llangunllo. However by the looks of it same could apply at Altnabraec as the layout is essentially similar, the difference being that at Llangunllo there is no access path as such, you just go through the front yard of the station house.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Apologies I wasn’t clear in what I wrote, I was referring to Llangunllo. However by the looks of it same could apply at Altnabraec as the layout is essentially similar, the difference being that at Llangunllo there is no access path as such, you just go through the front yard of the station house.

Altnabreac is much clearer - the station access is obviously separate from the house.

I am staying near Llangunllo over Easter and planning on using the station multiple times a day. If all goes to plan tomorrow, my son and I will arrive on the 12.29, catch the 14.39 to go shopping in Knighton, arrive back on the 16.22 and then meet my wife off the 19.14.

So by the end of the day we should have a good idea how friendly the station's neighbours are!

Will report back.

Update: I've just looked on Streetview and in 2009 and 2011 there was a small road sign pointing to the station, with another sign pointing towards Llangunllo village, attached to the same pole. This pole was opposite the UWC crossing, rather than the driveway of the house and the station sign was pointing towards the crossing. By 2021, the pole had moved to the correct location opposite the driveway gates, but there is no longer a sign to the railway station attached to it, only the one to the village remains!

I think we can all guess what happened to the missing sign, but what isn't clear is how or why the sign pole ended up in the wrong place pre-2009. Did the house owner take it upon themselves to move it to encourage passengers to walk along the ballast rather than through their drive? Was there a legitimate route next to the track? (Very unlikely and no evidence whatsoever in photographs from 2013/14). Did the contractors just make a mistake? (they were sent to put up a pole and did so where they assumed the station entrance was).

Last edited:

Farigiraf

You may well ask!

It is on a remote country lane some distance outside the village. You essentially have to walk through what appears to be someone’s front drive, and then walk through a tiny alley round the side of the house to reach the platform. The aforementioned alley when I went there was strewn with children’s toys and washing. Someone arriving from the road side for the first time would have no idea how to reach the platform as there is zero signage to indicate the access route, presumably this has all “conveniently” disappeared. The owners of the house aren’t hostile as such, however they do seem to engage in passive-aggressive methods to make people feel uncomfortable when on the platform.
Geoff Marshall of Youtube hosted a 'Choo Choo Chat' (podcast/interview) at Llangynllo 9 months ago and he wasn't met with much aggression - the lady living in the station house even offered him and his guest tea!

I think we can all guess what happened to the missing sign, but what isn't clear is how or why the sign pole ended up in the wrong place pre-2009. Did the house owner take it upon themselves to move it to encourage passengers to walk along the ballast rather than through their drive? Was there a legitimate route next to the track? (Very unlikely and no evidence whatsoever in photographs from 2013/14). Did the contractors just make a mistake? (they were sent to put up a pole and did so where they assumed the station entrance was).
Builth Road also on the HOW line had a walkway built through the (occupied) station house garage onto the platform. Can't find anything on the internet as to when this was built, and whose decision/funding it was however.

Last edited:

Essan

Aye, especially in such a remote place. Ideal for getting to the shops in bad weather!

Personally, if I didn't want to live in a house next to a railway station I wouldn't buy a house next to a railway station.

nanstallon

Perhaps Network Rail/ Scotrail just need to grow a pair. It is ridiculous how aggressive individuals get away with so much in this pathetic country.

najaB

Veteran Member
Perhaps Network Rail/ Scotrail just need to grow a pair. It is ridiculous how aggressive individuals get away with so much in this pathetic country.
The problem is that if it did kick off and one of the lovely people got injured, it would be up to the Network Rail staff to prove that they were in the right: "Elderly couple hospitalised after conflict with railway engineers" won't work out well for NR in the court of public opinion.

zwk500

Veteran Member
What actions do you suggest NR or Scotrail take? They've already launched legal action and this couple have been in court over it.

flitwickbeds

What exactly did you have in mind with your big pair of balls? Maybe sending in a couple of uniformed guards to rough them up a bit?

mike57

Established Member
What actions do you suggest NR or Scotrail take? They've already launched legal action and this couple have been in court over it.
I think the issue is often the courts give offenders chance after chance, and don't support the authorities and general public by coming down hard, put the perps in jail if they wont stop their illegal actions, hit them with finanacial penalties that mean they have to sell up, give them fair warning, one more transgression and this is what will happen, and then make sure it does.

Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
I suppose one thing they could do is do as much work as possible whilst the antagonists are in court, take everything up by rail and hopefully you'd get at least some work done.
Or just send in army engineers to do the work, when they say "you and whose army?" point and say "this one!". (That's not a serious suggestion by the way).

nanstallon

I think the issue is often the courts give people offenders chance after chance, and don't support the authorities and general public by coming down hard, put the perps in jail if they wont stop their illegal actions, hit them with finanacial penalties that mean they have to sell up, give them fair warning, one more transgression and this is what will happen, and then make sure it does.
I hear the sound of hammer hitting nail on the head! I find it outrageous that a private individual can decide to shut down a station because they don't like people using it; even Dr Beeching didn't manage to close Altnabreac. It matters not a jot or tittle that Altnabreac is (or rather was) not heavily used.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I think the issue is often the courts give offenders chance after chance, and don't support the authorities and general public by coming down hard, put the perps in jail if they wont stop their illegal actions, hit them with finanacial penalties that mean they have to sell up, give them fair warning, one more transgression and this is what will happen, and then make sure it does.
This is all very well although the law must be equal to all people, and I'd be nervous of a system that let authorities throw the book at somebody simply because they got tired of them. It would be open to all sorts of misuse by people with political agendas who happen to gain office.
Although you have got me wondering if a Compulsory Purchase Order or Scottish equivalent would resolve the matter. In Scotland I have no idea if it would need additional leglislation though for these circumstances.

mike57

Established Member
because they got tired of them
I dont think its 'got tired of them' more like: You have been before the courts on the same or similar charges (or whatever) on two previous occasions, the last time you were warned that (insert what ever penalty was threatened) if you continued to offend. You chose to ignore that warning, so the penaly is applied.

I think persistent offenders of all types need much harsher treatment. I dont see why the law abiding majority should have to put up with a (probably very) small number of offenders who have no respect for the law. If all else fails get them off the streets.

It just feels like a pair of 'people' (insert stronger word) are holding everyone to ransom, because if Network Rail go in mob handed with police support and the cottage owners end up getting hurt they will then play the victim, even although they are the cause of the problem.

Trainbike46

Established Member
This is all very well although the law must be equal to all people, and I'd be nervous of a system that let authorities throw the book at somebody simply because they got tired of them. It would be open to all sorts of misuse by people with political agendas who happen to gain office.
Although you have got me wondering if a Compulsory Purchase Order or Scottish equivalent would resolve the matter. In Scotland I have no idea if it would need additional leglislation though for these circumstances.
Fully agreed; this is already a problem in England in particular, so care needs to be taken to not expand it to Scotland or worsen it!