• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Conductor Online Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class-jnr

Afternoon,

Okay I have just sat my online assessment for the conductor role at Northern! Can I just say I felt like I was doing an assessment to run for the position of CEO. I am very concerned that it was extremely harder than I was expecting even after the practice section.

Did anyone else think that? Or was it just me!
I just feel that they are going to be loosing out on people with really good safety and customer service standards due to that assessment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Afternoon,

Okay I have just sat my online assessment for the conductor role at Northern! Can I just say I felt like I was doing an assessment to run for the position of CEO. I am very concerned that it was extremely harder than I was expecting even after the practice section.

Did anyone else think that? Or was it just me!
I just feel that they are going to be loosing out on people with really good safety and customer service standards due to that assessment.
What did it consist of? I’ve done my fair share of aptitude tests over the years and nothing is more painful than a numerical reasoning or logical reasoning test as far as I’m concerned. Any of those I have taken I’ve ended up guessing my way through :(

RSTurbo50

I agree, the verbal reasoning and numerical tests are very tough indeed. They will be missing out on some pretty good candidates. I’m 39 now and haven’t done any maths since leaving school. Iv pretty much given up on going for the roles now to be honest

AMD

This is deliberate, the tests are less about looking for high scores, as much as seeing what answers are given under pressure.

Stigy

Established Member
I agree, the verbal reasoning and numerical tests are very tough indeed. They will be missing out on some pretty good candidates. I’m 39 now and haven’t done any maths since leaving school. Iv pretty much given up on going for the roles now to be honest
Not all assessments are like this. It very much depends on the job and what the hiring manager wants. The only numerical reasoning I’ve had to take were for management roles or certain roles for NWR. As far as train driver roles, I’ve only ever had to take either very basic maths test and situational judgement tests. This makes sense as the aptitude is really tested for drivers beyond the sifting stage during the psychometric assessments.

feaky4

I have applied for another conductor job for northern even though I completely failed the last online assessment I did may not even get to that stage again but if I do guess I'll try this time

Megatracker

Yeah I just sat mine like 10 minutes ago. I really don't understand why they've made these tests so difficult. Those numerical assessments were well above GCSE level and I honestly don't know why they've made them so difficult. I've sat and completed all the driver psychometric assessments and passed them all but this was just on another level.

Stigy

Established Member
Yeah I just sat mine like 10 minutes ago. I really don't understand why they've made these tests so difficult. Those numerical assessments were well above GCSE level and I honestly don't know why they've made them so difficult. I've sat and completed all the driver psychometric assessments and passed them all but this was just on another level.
Don’t get me started on the numerical assessments. Luckily GWR dont do these for trainee drivers. If they did, I’d certainly not be about to start my training haha. The ones I have done I literally guessed my way through. I can do verbal reasoning, and to an extent logical reasoning....but not these!

Class-jnr

I have also passed my GCSE grades in maths, I just really feel they are going to miss out on staff that have great customer service skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.