• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Procurement of up to 450 multiple units

Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheEastMids

Hadn't seen this discussed elsewhere. Northern Trains Ltd have started a significant train procurement activity
More info in this link, but key points appear to be:

- "up to 450 units comprising of multiple vehicles" with a 35y design life
- multiple phases i.e. call-offs of batches of new stock over several years
- Separate procurement of a ROSCO to own them
- includes both manufacture/supply and technical support/spares agreements
- multi-modal and ability for "in life" decarbonisation to become EMUs or BEMUs
- ability to add additional centre cars during life

https://www.sell2wales.gov.wales/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG446134

My opinions:
Good - avoiding more diesel mechanical 19x that cannot easily be fully decarbonised
Bad - Don't see a mention of level boarding (although can only see the headlines, so may be in there in some form)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’ve just been discussing this with another member, who suggested that this order maybe used outside of Northern to replace all ex-BR units (91/Night Riviera MK3 excluded) in England, after all it is the DfT controlling it anyway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’ve just been discussing this with another member, who suggested that this order maybe used outside of Northern to replace all ex-BR units (91/Night Riviera MK3 excluded) in England, after all it is the DfT controlling it anyway.

I certainly think the intention of the maximum number is so they have the option to do that. As it's worded they would appear to have the option to order 1 unit and no more, though, so it's just the ultimate flexibility.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I have a feeling these might be related so I'm popping them here
The bids for the replacement of Northern’s 15x fleet is quite well advanced (commenced in January) with a surprise leading bidder at the moment. I can’t say anymore than that.
Yes the plan is new builds and the units will involve 25kv plus a self power source. These will eradicate the 15x fleet whilst future proofing for further electrification.
I can only say so much but Northern are getting together a business plan to replace the 15x fleet by 2030 and have got the expressions of interest in from manufacturers of bi-mode units. That’s all I can say at this time.

They are just for the 15x replacement so no speculating on replacing 323’s (that plan is still going ahead for 17 WMT units to replace the 319’s) or 333’s. 175’s aren’t coming nor are anyone else’s 158’s as it stands.

Yes things can change but that is the current status quo and any speculation to the contrary is totally futile.

Status
Not open for further replies.