• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLine

Any information about the talent pool at Northern?

I attended interview and assesment, in an email I was told that I had met the required standard at assesment but due to the high volume of success at the assesment centre I was chosen to be placed in the talent pool rather than start the course in Febuary.

I have a six month period for conductor roles at the depot to become available.

So is this a polite sorry you didn't get the job or should I be expecting further contact in the coming months?

Really is baffling :roll: just hope something comes out of this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

No the talent pool is very good. Rather than advertise vacancies in the future they will pick the first candidates directly from the pool.

Sometimes they may ring you also with offers of other depots. Say you applied for Piccadilly they may offer Victoria as an alternative.
There are plenty working for us who have been in 'the talent pool' my suggestion would be to keep looking for vacancies and if you see any come up that you fancy drop them an email and give a gentle reminder your still there!!

W230

Established Member
So is this a polite sorry you didn't get the job or should I be expecting further contact in the coming months?

Really is baffling :roll: just hope something comes out of this.
Something good will come out of it!

I applied and went through all the interviews/assessments and was then put in the talent pool. The way it read was that if I didn't hear back in 6 months I may have to start again. They got back to me within five weeks to then give me a start date. Think they were a bit surprised when I declined, (i'd been successful with another TOC who had sent me a contract out by this point), but from reading other posts on here it is quite usual.

So put your feet up and wait for that letter (or email proabably!) :lol:

daveyf1975

Don't be fooled. The talent pool DOES NOT guarantee you a post in the future. You may well have passed all the assesments and interview criteria required by the TOC and shown you have the skills needed. An internal applicant(s) may well have been given the post(s) and you (in the talent pool) will be there as a failsafe for the company - in this case Northern.
If no vacancies arise after a period of time you may well get a letter asking if you are ok to have your details held on file. You think ok, and get on with your day to day life, knowing that 1 day the job you want will come along. Then BANG!, ane day a letter lands on your doorstep saying " due to the time you have been waiting for a position, we regret to inform you that we have taken you off the vacancy waiting list and you will have to re apply for any future roles" etc etc etc Northern Rail. In the meantime, other jobs have come and gone.
Lets hope its different for you and you do get the position in the near future. Im not bitter, just being truthful. Northern's loss was someone elses gain.

W230

Established Member
Don't be fooled. The talent pool DOES NOT guarantee you a post in the future. You may well have passed all the assesments and interview criteria required by the TOC and shown you have the skills needed. An internal applicant(s) may well have been given the post(s) and you (in the talent pool) will be there as a failsafe for the company - in this case Northern.
If no vacancies arise after a period of time you may well get a letter asking if you are ok to have your details held on file. You think ok, and get on with your day to day life, knowing that 1 day the job you want will come along. Then BANG!, ane day a letter lands on your doorstep saying " due to the time you have been waiting for a position, we regret to inform you that we have taken you off the vacancy waiting list and you will have to re apply for any future roles" etc etc etc Northern Rail. In the meantime, other jobs have come and gone.
Lets hope its different for you and you do get the position in the near future. Im not bitter, just being truthful. Northern's loss was someone elses gain.
While you are correct that you are not guranteed a job, do you know of any case where someone wasn't subsequently offered one further down the line? There seem to be several people on here (myself included) who were offered a job from the talent pool but I don't know of any where they never had that offer. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that i've not heard of it happening.

daveyf1975

yes, me. CTM said at my interview, " dont worry about the time length, things move slowly in the rail industry. We've just taken on someone who has been waiting 3 years "

kebo

While you are correct that you are not guranteed a job, do you know of any case where someone wasn't subsequently offered one further down the line? There seem to be several people on here (myself included) who were offered a job from the talent pool but I don't know of any where they never had that offer. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that i've not heard of it happening.

Yes at present me, I have been sitting in a holding pool with FCC for close to a year now,despite me pestering them constantly alway's seems to be the same answer "we are waiting for training managers to give us dates of next intakes for training courses",which I believe there have been 2 in the last year!.
I have recently applied for another trainee train driver role within the group which I am prepared to relocate for,so fingers crossed.
Ideally though FCC is perfect for me if I can just get that phone call from them with the go ahead. :-?

daveyf1975

I was talking to a rail recruiter a while ago who stated catagorically that people being ejected from talent or holding pool is quite common and he did not seem at all supprised. Whether you get an offer may depend on the location you have applied for. If it is a large metroploitan depot/station with lots of routes then staff momement and opportunities will be a lot greater than a if you have applied for a vacancy in a city that only has a few staff / routes and not much train crew turnover.
I do hope all the people in whatever talent pool their in will receive good news soon, then the world then their oyster !!!

W230

Established Member
yes, me. CTM said at my interview, " dont worry about the time length, things move slowly in the rail industry. We've just taken on someone who has been waiting 3 years "
Sorry, i wasn't clear - I meant with reference to Northern not other TOC's. Heard plenty of stories about FCC & SWT making people wait, amongst others.

But I was meaning more specifically when Northern rail have put people in their talent pool?

Paulfenton

Hey PLine, when was your assessment? How fast did they contact you? Am in the same boat waiting to hear how I got on.

daveyf1975

Sorry, i wasn't clear - I meant with reference to Northern not other TOC's. Heard plenty of stories about FCC & SWT making people wait, amongst others.

But I was meaning more specifically when Northern rail have put people in their talent pool?

I was refering to Northern

PLine

Hey PLine, when was your assessment? How fast did they contact you? Am in the same boat waiting to hear how I got on.

My assessment was on a Friday and I had the response by the following Tuesday.

Right so from what I understand it is a case of luck in your particular area? If vacancies become available you have a good chance but if they don't then your unlikely to be contacted.

Come to think of it at my interview it was mentioned that a job offer may not be immediate so qualifying for the talent pool is in line with that I would imagine. Other candidates at the assessment centre seemed to think there was a course beginning in feb and another a few months after, so that may also be a good sign?

I think its best to keep checking emails etc but not to expect anything, whilst also checking the vacancies etc with the TOC.

pipsqueak

I was like you was told I'd passed everything and had a successful interview but wuld be placed in the talent Pool. Luckily I was successful in the end, two weeks before the end of the 6months I was offered a position and will start with them next month. So keep your fingers crossed you never know what can happen.

PLine

I was like you was told I'd passed everything and had a successful interview but wuld be placed in the talent Pool. Luckily I was successful in the end, two weeks before the end of the 6months I was offered a position and will start with them next month. So keep your fingers crossed you never know what can happen.

Did you keep in contact? did they send updates? or was it just out of the blue?

Congratulations!

Asian Demon

Mine is a similar situation with the talent pool. I was kept in it until 5 weeks before the so called '6 months' and was offered the guards job (I applied specifically to a depot) at the depot I wanted. Couldn't ask for more. Patience is truly a virtue when waiting around for HR departments for any TOC.

Last edited:

Bezz82

No the talent pool is very good. Rather than advertise vacancies in the future they will pick the first candidates directly from the pool.

Sometimes they may ring you also with offers of other depots. Say you applied for Piccadilly they may offer Victoria as an alternative.
There are plenty working for us who have been in 'the talent pool' my suggestion would be to keep looking for vacancies and if you see any come up that you fancy drop them an email and give a gentle reminder your still there!!

I'm in that position now. It's killing me just sitting and waiting!!! I've been in the holding pool for two weeks.... I applied for Buxton but told them I am interested in picc and Vic Depots as well.

If I got a call then what would be the next step? Would I need another interview with Northern or is it just a medical?

Andrew32

THIS POST IS IN ADDITION TO THE ONE BELOW AS I HADN'T COME ACCROSS THIS ONE BEFORE POSTING IT.

I am currently in a talent pool and have been there since September 2013 and an due to come out of it right at the end of Feb 2014.

What I want to ask is:

Do they work

Does the toc offer you vacancies that become available just after you have left the pool, for instance, a course is due to come up at the end of March and I have to serve one months notice which I would have to serve at the end February which is right at the end of my talent pool period.

I'm currently in one but am concerned nothing will good will come from it, I'm the only person currently in the talent pool for my depot and they have just advertised for more applicants there on thier website.

What are my chances of getting a job offer before the end of February 2014?

Thanks in advance

gorilladan

Hi Andrew32,
I'm also in the talent pool with Northern after meeting the required criteria standard.
I was informed that a start date for my training would be given when further recruitment had taken place for the depot I'd applied for and more positions were available.
Training places would be allocated based upon scores achieved by candidates during the assessment process, thus if candidate "a" achieves score of "12", candidate b "14", candidate c "15" et al. The training places would be allocated 1st to candidate c then candidate b then candidate a.
Obviously, busier depots with more staff turnover, new routes, hours of operation etc would have more frequent recruitment drives than those for the quieter depots less staff turnover et al.
I'm in talent pool for Man Vic which is busy busy.
I asked hr when recruitment would begin again for vic & was told in the New Year" so fingers crossed.
I don't know if this is possible but could hr swap your depot to a busier one ?
Hope this helps a little & that you get sorted quickly
best regards

jadam35

THIS POST IS IN ADDITION TO THE ONE BELOW AS I HADN'T COME ACCROSS THIS ONE BEFORE POSTING IT.

I am currently in a talent pool and have been there since September 2013 and an due to come out of it right at the end of Feb 2014.

What I want to ask is:

Do they work

Does the toc offer you vacancies that become available just after you have left the pool, for instance, a course is due to come up at the end of March and I have to serve one months notice which I would have to serve at the end February which is right at the end of my talent pool period.

I'm currently in one but am concerned nothing will good will come from it, I'm the only person currently in the talent pool for my depot and they have just advertised for more applicants there on thier website.

What are my chances of getting a job offer before the end of February 2014?

Thanks in advance

I was in the talent pool from feb 2012 and got a call 8 months later to start in November 2012, so maybe the 6 month rule is extended from time to time....

Andrew32

Thankyou both for your replies

GORILLADAN:

I didn't go into the talent pool straight after my conductor assessment, I was placed on hold for one of two positions that were available at the depot I'd applied at so id assume that I must have scored well in the assessment.

Two months later the positions were pulled due to a change in the traincrew plans and was put in the talent pool as a result and told that they would be in touch once any further vacancies arose at the depot.

The jobs were advertised at the start of October and I rang to ask why they were advertising for jobs when I was in the talent pool.

I was told that I was the only person in the talent pool and there was more than one position that need filling, I know 5 people have retireed this year at the depot I applied for and two others are moving from conducting to train driving in January.

So I must surely be in with a chance?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Andrew32,
I'm also in the talent pool with Northern after meeting the required criteria standard.
I was informed that a start date for my training would be given when further recruitment had taken place for the depot I'd applied for and more positions were available.
Training places would be allocated based upon scores achieved by candidates during the assessment process, thus if candidate "a" achieves score of "12", candidate b "14", candidate c "15" et al. The training places would be allocated 1st to candidate c then candidate b then candidate a.

Based on the above I would be right in assuming that if a new applicant scored better than me in the tests I would be left in the talent pool and overlooked?

Rather unfair I feel if this is right, its not my fault the jobs were pulled.

W230

Established Member
Based on the above I would be right in assuming that if a new applicant scored better than me in the tests I would be left in the talent pool and overlooked?

Rather unfair I feel if this is right, its not my fault the jobs were pulled.
With respect, it's up to the company to employ who they want, as they need to. They will ultimately choose who they feel is the best candidate.

It's the same in the driving grade at the moment. Lots of people are passing the psychometric tests/interviews and are ending up on hold/in talent pools. The TOC will then recruit the ones who scored highest/interviewed best.

Andrew32

Fair comment

Just hoping that because I scored enough to be considered for a job in the last recruitment event that my score for this event is good enough also.

BravoGolfMike

Pity PLine hasn't been back here, it would have been interesting to see if they were offered a position eventually, what with the thread being 10 months old now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Fair comment

Just hoping that because I scored enough to be considered for a job in the last recruitment event that my score for this event is good enough also.

I for one sympathise, it must be agonising waiting an not knowing. Good luck and let us know if you get it.

Last edited:

Wolf

Im currently on hold for a trainee train driver position at leeds. Been in the talent pool around 3 weeks now. Passed assessments towards end of last year and received confirmation early in new year that I had been placed in talent pool since a high number of people had passed. Anyone else in same boat for trainee train driver at leeds?

johnsonr380

Hi everyone, just come across this thread and was just wondering as I passed my assessments a couple if weeks ago is being on hold the same as being in the pool ? Or will it be likely that my status as being on hold will be shortly changed to being in the talent pool ?

Hopefully you all have had some good news since your posts

Status
Not open for further replies.