• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern talent pool 2023

LokiB

I can see there have been threads in the past but with Northerns talent pools only lasting 9 months they will obsolete now so thought I'd start another one.

Who on here is in a pool for any role and how long have you been in?
I'm in for driver and in my 1st month of waiting.
I know a course is starting in September ( I imagine that is already full), after that I'm not sure of courses.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shampoo

Hull - it says application under consideration. So unsure whether to have hope or if they just leave you hanging for months… thanks.

InkyScrolls

Hull - it says application under consideration. So unsure whether to have hope or if they just leave you hanging for months… thanks.
Ah, righto. I'm afraid you'll probably be kept hanging for a long, long time - six months or more is not uncommon in my experience. I would get on with life and try to forget about it - assume you've not got it and you might be pleasantly reminded, and surprised, when you receive a 'congratulations' email in October!

Shampoo

Ah, righto. I'm afraid you'll probably be kept hanging for a long, long time - six months or more is not uncommon in my experience. I would get on with life and try to forget about it - assume you've not got it and you might be pleasantly reminded, and surprised, when you receive a 'congratulations' email in October!
Thought that might be the case… thanks for replying.

GPR

Did you find out how many lines of work they need to replace?
There are apparently courses towards the end of the year but if they’re filled by 2 trainees from different depots, and your depot needs more than 2, being in the talent pool might mean you are only waiting till the next course.

DJG193

Add me to the list for Manchester, the expected 9 month email received today following psychometrics. Had a holiday booked for December and balance needs settling tomorrow, not sure what to do.

Shampoo

Add me to the list for Manchester, the expected 9 month email received today following psychometrics. Had a holiday booked for December and balance needs settling tomorrow, not sure what to do.
what did you decide to do re: holiday?

SteveL9

Are you on the Manchester course starting 11 September mate?

Shampoo

Decided to cancel coundnt take the risk. I did email them but they said they couldn't give a definite if I'd be on the November course or not.

No I only passed psychometrics last Monday. Have you got on a course??
That makes sense but is a bit of a bummer for you. Hope you get on a course asap and can plan another holiday!

SteveL9

Decided to cancel coundnt take the risk. I did email them but they said they couldn't give a definite if I'd be on the November course or not.

No I only passed psychometrics last Monday. Have you got on a course??
Yes I’m on a course in September in Manchester (despite my depot being Leeds!) Just happy to have got a foot in the door despite the painful commute for a few months.

LokiB

Yes I’m on a course in September in Manchester (despite my depot being Leeds!) Just happy to have got a foot in the door despite the painful commute for a few months.
There's a few internals from Leeds doing the same mate.
On the positive side, it will give a good hours revision time on the way back to save you having to do it at home.

Shampoo

Ho
Hope it’s ok but sent you a message!

SteveL9

There's a few internals from Leeds doing the same mate.
On the positive side, it will give a good hours revision time on the way back to save you having to do it at home.
Yes that’s my thoughts, I’m fine with it, as long as the trains do actually run and I can get between Leeds and Manchester everyday!

LokiB

Anyone else receive the "application still on hold" email today?
Won't lie, got excited when I saw an email from them only to be disappointed

richfoz84

Yes that’s my thoughts, I’m fine with it, as long as the trains do actually run and I can get between Leeds and Manchester everyday!
They “used to” put you in a hotel if the training location was over an hour away from your home depot. Not sure if this still happens though. Maybe worth checking.

Owen2323

I think you have to be 90mins away from your depot before they put you up in a hotel now.......?

DJG193

Well I'm in - starting on the 27th of November.
Congratulations, glad there is some movement on this thread finally . Im waiting to see if there are any others in the Manchester pool cause at least I could see some movement. I feel like I'm the only one of this forum , surely not though