• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern talent pool 2023

SiTheTrainGuy

I was waiting just over a week before I got my start date. Did the tests on a Monday, and got my provisional start date for mid-March the following Tuesday. That's for Skipton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1867Blue

Varies depending on demand for trainees. You could get a course date within weeks of being in the talent pool, but then you could also spend the entire 9 months in it and get nothing. I'd imagine for somewhere like Leeds you'd be in the door sooner rather than later.
How likely is it that someone would be put in the pool and not be offered a position before the times up? Does it happen often?

I would have thought that people would be put in the pool with the people in charge knowing positions will be coming up.

Not saying it doesn’t happen, but wondered if anyone could clarify how often it happens or how likely

Horseman

How likely is it that someone would be put in the pool and not be offered a position before the times up? Does it happen often?

I would have thought that people would be put in the pool with the people in charge knowing positions will be coming up.

Not saying it doesn’t happen, but wondered if anyone could clarify how often it happens or how likely
It's hard to say but Leeds is a big depot with presumably a lot more movement so I wouldn't worry too much. I applied for a smaller depot and as with the others who've commented, received the obligatory talent pool email before being given a provisional start date shortly after.

ThePeakNed

It's happened to a friend of mine.

A lot of it revolves around existing staff leaving the business. If their date for leaving, such as to a new company for example, then that skews it for trainee positions slightly.

Just never know. The internal workings of railway recruitment, irrelevant of TOC, are often a complete mystery to most.

1867Blue

It's happened to a friend of mine.

A lot of it revolves around existing staff leaving the business. If their date for leaving, such as to a new company for example, then that skews it for trainee positions slightly.

Just never know. The internal workings of railway recruitment, irrelevant of TOC, are often a complete mystery to most.
Yes I’ve noticed.

Wonder why northern only allow you in a talent pool for 9 months. Is that the lowest of all tocs?

kieranc97

I applied in December 2022, passed the interview then placed in a talent pool. Roughly 8 months later received an email inviting me for interview to renew my time in the talent pool, again passed that and placed back in the pool.

I wasn't holding much hope but had an email out of the blue in January inviting me for medical etc and just received a start date of 8th April in Leeds

Hope this helps in terms of timescales. I think it all depends on your station you applied for. I applied for conductor at Doncaster which to my knowledge isn't a very big base when compared to others in the area.

1867Blue

I applied in December 2022, passed the interview then placed in a talent pool. Roughly 8 months later received an email inviting me for interview to renew my time in the talent pool, again passed that and placed back in the pool.

I wasn't holding much hope but had an email out of the blue in January inviting me for medical etc and just received a start date of 8th April in Leeds

Hope this helps in terms of timescales. I think it all depends on your station you applied for. I applied for conductor at Doncaster which to my knowledge isn't a very big base when compared to others in the area.
Excellent news.

Congratulations buddy

arthurtoosheds

I have been condemned to the talent pool for a conductor role at Sheffield. I was only made aware of the position being a "talent pool" when I went for the interview in Oct 2023 and I'm still waiting.

I have worked on the railway before and it moves at its own pace and direction. There used to be a saying "there is the right way, a wrong way and the railway". Just keep in touch with HR for an update every couple/three months.

trackside74

Finally got a start date of 29th April for the Trainee Driver position. Got my medical next week and think it’s with a new provider (Optima) in Sheffield. Anyone got any insight on what to expect at the medical?

Thanks! ☺️

1867Blue

Finally got a start date of 29th April for the Trainee Driver position. Got my medical next week and think it’s with a new provider (Optima) in Sheffield. Anyone got any insight on what to expect at the medical?

Thanks! ☺️
Mate of mine is going to optima near Meadowhall for his medical for Sheffield depot.

Medical normally consists of drugs and alcohol test, hearing, eye sight, weight height, they also do heart tests as well. General questions about your health and lifestyle, how much you drink etc. normally takes about a week to come back.

There’s a thread at top just about medicals.

Beechadz16

Thanks! ☺️
I've got the same provisional start date, had my medical last week with Optima. They'll ask the usual medical and health questions, hearing test, ECG & urine sample. Shouldn't be no longer than an hour max

trackside74

I've got the same provisional start date, had my medical last week with Optima. They'll ask the usual medical and health questions, hearing test, ECG & urine sample. Shouldn't be no longer than an hour max
Ah perfect, hopefully not too bad then! We are most likely in the same group then? Which base will you be out of after the initial training?

CJBX

I started on Monday. For your medical it will be.

Eyesight test
Hearing test
Blood pressure
Height
Weight
ECG
Drugs and alcohol test

Then a short discussion with the doctor.

darlo

Passed my assessment yesterday and now placed in the talent pool. Applied for Darlington so hopefully not waiting too long!

Ell300

Passed my assessment yesterday and now placed in the talent pool. Applied for Darlington so hopefully not waiting too long!

Well done! I've got my assessments on Wednesday! Currently deep in practice papers! (Darlington too)

trackside74

Hi mate, yeah I'm going to be starting on that day too. Just got all these docs completed and sent
Ahh, that’s fab! ☺️ I wonder how big the training group will be! I’ve just sent back the paperwork too and have been told to expect some more info about the training in the next few days.

Ngoodman123@li, the paperwork is just the usual right to work documents, personal details, payroll details and reading & accepting workplace policies.

LokiB

Ahh, that’s fab! ☺️ I wonder how big the training group will be! I’ve just sent back the paperwork too and have been told to expect some more info about the training in the next few days.

Ngoodman123@li, the paperwork is just the usual right to work documents, personal details, payroll details and reading & accepting workplace policies.
It will be a group of 12 unless someone doesn't turn up ( has been known to happen).

Venna1

Does anybody know what date the June course starts? I’ve received a medical date today for May, yet I’ve had no info from Northern itself, just an email from Optima saying they’ve organised the date on behalf of management.

Beechadz16

Look forward to meeting you on Monday