• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern talent pool 2023

JW7

Hi all, is there anyone in this thread who knows what the take home pay is during the first year? I’m aware the salary is around £24000, but wondering what this equates to on a monthly take home basis. I’ve got a rough idea using calculators online, but wondering if anyone knew the specific amount.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

on-the-tracks

Hi all, is there anyone in this thread who knows what the take home pay is during the first year? I’m aware the salary is around £24000, but wondering what this equates to on a monthly take home basis. I’ve got a rough idea using calculators online, but wondering if anyone knew the specific amount.
Thanks in advance.
Best bet would be to use salary calculator. Add the 4 week salary payment option as it’ll be 4 weekly payments not monthly. Minus any pension etc as they’re specific to a person or any other costs such as unions etc.

LeeMck9

Thanks in advance.
Around £1500 every 4 weeks.

SiTheTrainGuy

I’m now in the talent pool for a driver position at Skipton having passed the tests and MMI yesterday. Pleased to have got this far in the process. Just hope I’m not waiting too long for a provisional start date o_O :D
Well, I wasn't waiting long. Pending successful medical I start on the 18th March!

SiTheTrainGuy

I wonder if the classroom part of the training will be with people from various depots because I also have a provisional start date of the 18th March.
Have you got your medical date yet? Still waiting for mine, but they said it’d be in the next 3 weeks.

Have you got your medical date yet? Still waiting for mine, but they said it’d be in the next 3 weeks.
Literally 20 mins after this I got the call booking it in :D

Last edited:

trackside74

I’ve just received my successful email and am now in the talent pool… hopefully not waiting too long before getting a provisional start date! ☺️

SiTheTrainGuy

I've not, not yet anyway?

My original email said the start date was the 4th of March but was then almost immediately corrected to the 18th.

I've not, not yet anyway?

My original email said the start date was the 4th of March but was then almost immediately corrected to the 18th.
I was originally booked on 18th March. Knew this back in December but then received a phone call in January saying the date had been changed. I was lead to believe the course for March wasn’t an actual course date and someone had made a mistake somewhere. Weird one.

SiTheTrainGuy

Yeah that is strange? Is that for Manchester or Leeds? (I’ll be at Leeds)

Have you had your medical?

Last edited:
1st April would of been the company induction. You'll start 2nd April in the school (thats what the email reads anyways).

@Pip3000 It won't let me reply to your DM. I have seen it and will keep trying to reply to you until it works.

Last edited:

Jdl0121

I’ve just had my psychometric assessment and passed. Got an email straight away saying they’re unable to offer me a position at this time due to the high volume of successful candidates. Hopefully hear something back in the coming months

SiTheTrainGuy

I’ve just had my psychometric assessment and passed. Got an email straight away saying they’re unable to offer me a position at this time due to the high volume of successful candidates. Hopefully hear something back in the coming months
Superb! Well done. Which depot are you in for? I was only in the talent pool for 8 days before getting my provisional start date so hopefully you won’t be waiting too long!

Jdl0121

Superb! Well done. Which depot are you in for? I was only in the talent pool for 8 days before getting my provisional start date so hopefully you won’t be waiting too long!
Thanks mate. I’m in Manchester. Fingers crossed I hear back sooner rather than later. Congrats on hearing back though

SiTheTrainGuy

Has anyone had their medical recently? I'm booked in for Tuesday next week but apparently they're setting up a Medigold clinic in Leeds and it might not be ready by then?

Hi all, having completed the assessment centre and passed (2nd time around phew), I received the talent pool email quite quickly afterwards. . I understand that you are not guaranteed a position, but wanted to check what is a realistic time scale to hopefully be put on a course? I have applied for Leeds depot. Thanks

ThePeakNed

Hi all, having completed the assessment centre and passed (2nd time around phew), I received the talent pool email quite quickly afterwards. . I understand that you are not guaranteed a position, but wanted to check what is a realistic time scale to hopefully be put on a course? I have applied for Leeds depot. Thanks
Varies depending on demand for trainees. You could get a course date within weeks of being in the talent pool, but then you could also spend the entire 9 months in it and get nothing. I'd imagine for somewhere like Leeds you'd be in the door sooner rather than later.

CJBX

It's going to be very depot specific. I was put in a talent pool and then give a course the following day.