• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam0984

They could possibly return together providing the work 496 needs only takes a week and 447 is ready

Fisherman80

Out of interest, dose anyone have any photos parcels cupboard and why it has been retained on the 158 units?
It also seems a bit strange that the blue sliverlink wall carpet has been retained on some 150/1 units it must be fairly noticeable and unpleasant sight for commuters.
This picture was taken on the 30th of September 2020. The wall carpet is from around 1991! I'm not sure which 158 unit it was,but it must be any unit between 901 to 910 as they were the 10 158s ordered by West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive in the early 1990s.

Attachments

• 20200930_215834.jpg
    20200930_215834.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 129

jonnyfan

170477 has the new style seat covers installed now.
That's good, flat cloth is almost all eliminated from the existing seats (except 319s which will not be changed) - I'd expect the first Fainsa seats will be changed to moquette soon then. As they are getting very grubby on some units now

py_megapixel

Established Member
That's good, flat cloth is almost all eliminated from the existing seats (except 319s which will not be changed) - I'd expect the first Fainsa seats will be changed to moquette soon then. As they are getting very grubby on some units now
Will this be the first time moquette covers have been used on a Fainsa seat? Will be interesting to see what difference, if any, it makes to the comfort of the seat.

That said, I don't think there has been any official confirmation that this will happen yet.

On Moderation
Will this be the first time moquette covers have been used on a Fainsa seat? Will be interesting to see what difference, if any, it makes to the comfort of the seat.
The Class 707s have moquette. It doesn’t make any massive difference to the comfort.

jonnyfan

That said, I don't think there has been any official confirmation that this will happen yet.
I think it would make them a little more comfortable, though I find them comfortable already with the flat cloth, they just look dirty now.
I don't believe anything official has been put out, but my understanding is they are to be done next

py_megapixel

Established Member
I think it would make them a little more comfortable, though I find them comfortable already with the flat cloth, they just look dirty now.
I don't believe anything official has been put out, but my understanding is they are to be done next
I agree with you to be honest. The seats are a bit hard but there's tons of legroom and the shape of the cushions is OK. Also they have seat-back tables which is a plus.

Neptune

Established Member
No plans to replace the seat covers on the 158/195/331 fleets at the moment.

That’s not to say it won’t happen in the future.

jonnyfan

Did they start doing the moquette on the 319s before the announcement they were leaving northern?
None of the 319s got the new Northern moquette, they were still fitting the flat cloth to the fleet when it became apparent the 319s were leaving, so several of the 319s still have non-new Northern moquette.

py_megapixel

Established Member
None of the 319s got the new Northern moquette, they were still fitting the flat cloth to the fleet when it became apparent the 319s were leaving, so several of the 319s still have non-new Northern moquette.
Definitely been on a 319 with moquette, let me see if I can find the photo

Edit: No, it was the old "Northern Electrics" moquette with the different shades of squares, not the new one with the blue circle pattern

skyhigh

Established Member
170473 now also has the new covers, so they're getting on with them now.

Attachments

• 20210202_074703.jpg
    20210202_074703.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 148

Peter A

All DMUs in service apart from the 153s are in new Northern livery. I don't think all the 319s are though :?:

The 319's are all in the new Northern livery bar 1 (319372) which is in the old Thameslink base-livery (plain white with blue doors), though I believe some northern logos may have been added recently.

_toommm_

Established Member
The 319's are all in the new Northern livery bar 1 (319372) which is in the old Thameslink base-livery (plain white with blue doors), though I believe some northern logos may have been added recently.

I believe 372 now has the new Northern logos. I rarely see it out though.

Killingworth

Established Member
Extract from Northern East Stakeholder briefing today;

"As far as our legacy fleet goes, we released the following today: “Northern’s path to transforming its network and improving its trains has reached a significant milestone.The final train (158861) to enter the company’s refurbishment programme has arrived at Arriva Train Care in Crewe. And, in just a few weeks, all Northern trains will have been upgraded. The £100 million pound train transformation programme includes more than 260 electric and diesel units and has been carried out at eight depots across the country. The current stage of refurbishment focuses on customer comfort and includes upgrades to seating, lighting, interior and exterior painting and toilets with baby changing facilities”. There is more to come of course, and the digital trains project still has some time to run, but as said this is a significant milestone all the same."

AMD

Extract from Northern East Stakeholder briefing today;

"As far as our legacy fleet goes, we released the following today: “Northern’s path to transforming its network and improving its trains has reached a significant milestone.The final train (158861) to enter the company’s refurbishment programme has arrived at Arriva Train Care in Crewe. And, in just a few weeks, all Northern trains will have been upgraded. The £100 million pound train transformation programme includes more than 260 electric and diesel units and has been carried out at eight depots across the country. The current stage of refurbishment focuses on customer comfort and includes upgrades to seating, lighting, interior and exterior painting and toilets with baby changing facilities”. There is more to come of course, and the digital trains project still has some time to run, but as said this is a significant milestone all the same."
And the tweet with pictures - https://twitter.com/northernassist/status/1357622510506942465?s=20

OTRail

Definitely been on a 319 with moquette, let me see if I can find the photo

Edit: No, it was the old "Northern Electrics" moquette with the different shades of squares, not the new one with the blue circle pattern
367 has the new moquette

py_megapixel

Established Member
Well after 16 years, Serco Abellio lilac & blue is soon to be no more.
Indeed.

I'm not sure how I feel about that really.
As for the interiors - good riddance; never really liked purple with white stripes

But the exterior livery was rather good in my opinion, and trains in the north just won't feel the same without it.