• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Do we know if there are any Kinch E200s still outstanding for Skylink?
The latest update on the Derby Bus Depot reports that all the E200's are in use and possibly 1 citaro (916) still in use on the skylink.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The latest update on the Derby Bus Depot reports that all the E200's are in use and possibly 1 citaro (916) still in use on the skylink.
Cheers, I'm still seeing a number of older buses and wondered if that was due to missing E200s rather than unavailability for whatever reason.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
NCT has finally launched contactless. It appears NET and Linkbus will be joining the same system - unclear if there is a discount on using more than one as with Robin Hood. But no mention of TrentBarton and for some reason the Park and Rides are excluded despite now being commercial...
You can make a contactless payment for journeys on all Nottingham City Transport (NCT) buses including routes to Loughborough, Southwell, Lambley and Woodborough. The only exceptions are the two NCT Park and Ride services from Queens Drive and Nottingham Racecourse.

Later in the year, contactless payments will also be made available on Linkbus and NET trams.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
NCT has finally launched contactless. It appears NET and Linkbus will be joining the same system - unclear if there is a discount on using more than one as with Robin Hood. But no mention of TrentBarton and for some reason the Park and Rides are excluded despite now being commercial...
Yes that's a little strange about the P&R services, I hadn't picked up on that when I first read it.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As they say, prices are nice and simple.

Nottingham to Loughborough, £2.30 single, £6.50 return/day.

East Leake to Loughborough £4.00 single, £6.50 return/day.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

Would be odd if NET joined in but not TrentBarton - don't they manage the trams?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Would be odd if NET joined in but not TrentBarton - don't they manage the trams?

trentbarton already do contactless, but you have to touch in and out - and they cover a far wider area.

Our ticket machines allow you to travel using your contactless card or device.

Travel contactless is a quick and easy way to pay for your travel, and you'll always pay the right fare. Just tap on at the start of your journey, and tap off before you leave. Simple.

You'll only be charged an adult single journey for each trip, and with our day caps in place, your spending will automatically be limited no matter how often you travel. All fares for journeys made will be combined into one overall payment for the day, which will appear on your bank statement in a couple of days' time.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
trentbarton already do contactless, but you have to touch in and out - and they cover a far wider area.

Probably something to do with that - the system couldn't know when someone touched in whether they want a within-Nottingham flat fare like with Robin Hood card, or they are starting a longer journey when they would touch out at the other end. In theory it could assume that all journeys with no touch-out are within Nottingham but that probably doesn't help with revenue protection and they probably don't want the hassle of having two systems that are confusingly similar but incompatible. But it does mean people who use NCT/NET and TrentBarton within the city on the same day are probably still better off with the Robin Hood PAYG card.

They also seem to have got themselves tied in knots trying to make it work for the NCT out-of-city routes (Zones B, C and D, Zone A being the Robin Hood card boundary) without making them touch in and out. The following footnotes are shown against these zone fares in https://nottinghamcontactless.co.uk/prices
* Customers who make a single journey to a stop within the same Zone or to Zone B, C or D should buy a single ticket in the NCTX Buses app or a cash single to pay the best available price.

** Customers who make two journeys should buy a 2 Trip ticket in the NCTX Buses app or a cash day return on the bus to pay the best available price.

In order to make life simple you don’t need to ask the driver for a ticket, the clever system knows which zone you are boarding in and will automatically calculate the best price for your journey.
I think this means that a journey wholly outside the Robin Hood area will be more expensive using contactless. The statement about the system working out the cheapest fare doesn't seem to be entirely true!

Steveoh

They also seem to have got themselves tied in knots trying to make it work for the NCT out-of-city routes (Zones B, C and D, Zone A being the Robin Hood card boundary) without making them touch in and out. The following footnotes are shown against these zone fares in https://nottinghamcontactless.co.uk/prices
I think this means that a journey wholly outside the Robin Hood area will be more expensive using contactless. The statement about the system working out the cheapest fare doesn't seem to be entirely true!

Indeed. Living in a Zone B area I was having trouble working it all out. I'm not using buses at the moment with the office closed so I've postponed working it all out to a later date. I shall probably just use the app though.

cnjb8

Established Member
Somehow, Skills have the NEC contract from DeCourcey and are getting the Citaros.
Notts and Derby have four ex-Metroline E400s.

Established Member
I wondered if it was that but it's a long way from Notts and Derbyshire! Which I guess was your point.
The derby bus depot reports that they will be out stationed at the NEC and maintained in Nottingham.

RELL6L

I see Hulleys have posted that they are going ahead with the Snake even though Greater Manchester has been put into tier 3 restrictions. Now South Yorkshire is going to be as well it must be very hard, I really wish them well and hope they continue even if custom is discouraging to start with. Come lifting of restrictions and the spring this could be a popular venture, but in the meantime Ladybower to Glossop looks like the only leisure travel permitted!

Also, on Traveline South West - the only one still out there that's much help - there is a new Hulley route 171 shown from 26 October, being two round trips Mon-Sat from Bakewell to Leek and back, at sensible times between school commitments at Bakewell. This route is only in tier 1 throughout and - having taken the 16 myself from Leek to Buxton on a fine day in September - I think could attract customers too (albeit probably mainly pass holders). No mention of this on Derbyshire website or Hulleys website. So I take it this isn't happening?

The Derbyshire website refers to changes from the 26 October to the 110, 172 and 178, withdrawal of the 179 and introduction of a different 171, to Middleton-by-Youlgreave, meaning yet another revision of the routes south and west of Bakewell. The 172 link takes you to the 171 timetable (as does the 171 link) and Hulley's own website (or Facebook) only refers to the 110, 171 and 178. Confusing!

daodao

Established Member
I see Hulleys have posted that they are going ahead with the Snake even though Greater Manchester has been put into tier 3 restrictions. Now South Yorkshire is going to be as well it must be very hard, I really wish them well and hope they continue even if custom is discouraging to start with. Come lifting of restrictions and the spring this could be a popular venture, but in the meantime Ladybower to Glossop looks like the only leisure travel permitted!

Also, on Traveline South West - the only one still out there that's much help - there is a new Hulley route 171 shown from 26 October, being two round trips Mon-Sat from Bakewell to Leek and back, at sensible times between school commitments at Bakewell. This route is only in tier 1 throughout and - having taken the 16 myself from Leek to Buxton on a fine day in September - I think could attract customers too (albeit probably mainly pass holders). No mention of this on Derbyshire website or Hulleys website. So I take it this isn't happening?

The Derbyshire website refers to changes from the 26 October to the 110, 172 and 178, withdrawal of the 179 and introduction of a different 171, to Middleton-by-Youlgreave, meaning yet another revision of the routes south and west of Bakewell. The 172 link takes you to the 171 timetable (as does the 171 link) and Hulley's own website (or Facebook) only refers to the 110, 171 and 178. Confusing!

Given that discretionary travel to/from both Manchester and Sheffield will be strongly discouraged for the near future, it is a most inauspicious time to be introducing a new bus route between these 2 cities. If the Derbyshire police behave like they did during the Spring lockdown, I can envisage them stopping these buses and interrogating the passengers (if any) as to the reason(s) for their journey.

Hulley's also appear to be expanding in other directions. The bus changes section of the Staffordshire County Council website lists a new service from 26/10/20 (route 171) from Bakewell to Leek, which the Traveline West Midlands website shows as running twice daily (except Sundays).

Given that neither Hulley's own website nor the Derbyshire CC website (public transport section) mention this new service between Leek and Bakewell, and refers to route 171 as a reinstatement of a service between Bakewell and Middleton-by-Youlgreave, I presume that the Leek-Bakewell service will not be starting on 26/10/20.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Given that neither Hulley's own website nor the Derbyshire CC website (public transport section) mention this new service between Leek and Bakewell, and refers to route 171 as a reinstatement of a service between Bakewell and Middleton-by-Youlgreave, I presume that the Leek-Bakewell service not be starting on 26/10/20.

The timetable has escaped - of course that doesn't mean it's actually going to run.

Bakewell - Hartington - Leek
Show all stops
Leek - Hartington - Bakewell
Show all stops
Timetable data from the Traveline National Dataset

It says clearly on the traveline south west site on the 171 timetable page that the 171 will NOT now start on the 26th October. As the number 171 was not in use presumably this was a change to be made prior to the revisions being made to the 178/9 Youlgreave services. As Youlgreave will revert to the 171, if the Leek service is introduced in the future (and Monyash currently only has a Sunday bus service) then it is more likely to be numbered 179.....

Llandudno

Established Member
Given that discretionary travel to/from both Manchester and Sheffield will be strongly discouraged for the near future, it is a most inauspicious time to be introducing a new bus route between these 2 cities. If the Derbyshire police behave like they did during the Spring lockdown, I can envisage them stopping these buses and interrogating the passengers (if any) as to the reason(s) for their journey.

Given that neither Hulley's own website nor the Derbyshire CC website (public transport section) mention this new service between Leek and Bakewell, and refers to route 171 as a reinstatement of a service between Bakewell and Middleton-by-Youlgreave, I presume that the Leek-Bakewell service will not be starting on 26/10/20.
Yep, during the last lockdown, Derbyshire Police made the headlines by using helicopters to spot hikers in the isolated Peak District hills!

Last edited by a moderator:

daodao

Established Member
It says clearly on the traveline south west site on the 171 timetable page that the 171 will NOT now start on the 26th October. As the number 171 was not in use presumably this was a change to be made prior to the revisions being made to the 178/9 Youlgreave services. As Youlgreave will revert to the 171, if the Leek service is introduced in the future (and Monyash currently only has a Sunday bus service) then it is more likely to be numbered 179.....
Monyash does not currently have a Sunday bus service, as sadly High Peak route 58 no longer runs on a Sunday. Some years ago, I used service 58 (travelling from Macclesfield) to undertake a couple of very pleasant walks, one starting at Bakewell and returning to Monyash via Monsal Head and Deepdale, and the other starting at Monyash and proceeding via Lathkilldale to Bakewell.

Last edited:
Monyash does not currently have a Sunday bus service, as sadly High Peak route 58 no longer runs on a Sunday. Some years ago, I used service 58 (travelling from Macclesfield) to undertake a couple of very pleasant walks, one starting at Bakewell and returning to Monyash via Monsal Head and Deepdale, and the other starting at Monyash and proceeding via Lathkilldale to Bakewell.

Apologies, you are quite right. I think we are all loosing track of just what is and isn't running anymore. But Monyash has had a Sunday bus service until last weekend - it is a timing point on Hulleys Summer extension of the X71! So the village saw it's last service bus pass through last Sunday possibly for 5 months or longer!

M60lad

Just reading the latest update on Gov.Uk website and from what I can gather its only an advisory that people dont travel in/out of different alert areas therefor there's nothing stopping someone actually using X57 when it starts on Sunday.

There's nothing actually saying its against the law or that you will be stopped from travelling between different alert areas only as I've already said that its advisable that you dont.

daodao

Established Member
Just reading the latest update on Gov.Uk website and from what I can gather its only an advisory that people dont travel in/out of different alert areas therefor there's nothing stopping someone actually using X57 when it starts on Sunday.

There's nothing actually saying its against the law or that you will be stopped from travelling between different alert areas only as I've already said that its advisable that you dont.
And that's where Drakeford has got it right and bumbling Bojo hasn't. There is a need for clear instructions with the force of law about prohibiting non-essential travel between and into/out of Tier 3 areas. It would probably be advisable to shut down non-essential public transport services in tier 3 areas, such as this new bus route and the Heritage tram services on Blackpool promenade, "for the duration".

STINT47

As it's not against the law to travel to and from tier 3 areas thr police have no business challenging people.

If you are stopped and tell an officer that your travelling for leisure what fine can they give you? And if you are given one would it stand up in court

ag51ruk

As it's not against the law to travel to and from tier 3 areas thr police have no business challenging people.

If you are stopped and tell an officer that your travelling for leisure what fine can they give you? And if you are given one would it stand up in court

Nobody has suggested that the police will stop anyone except on this thread.

The rules were different in March, when non essential travel was banned and the police were within their rights to ask people whether they were following the rules (even if you disagree with the way that Derbyshire Police chose to do that).

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Let's not turn this into a Covid discussion - there is a thread for debating issues concerning buses in the Covid section of the forum.