• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Offered a job with London Midland

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengley

Established Member
I've been invited to an assessment and interview with London Midland as Dispatcher at Euston. I'm rather nervous as I've never gotten this far before! How should I prepare and what should I expect next Tuesday?

Thanks!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any replies appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengley

Established Member
I attended the interview but apparently HR weren't available that day for the assessments, so the interviewers said I would be invited back for an assessment.

I was invited to the assessment today, scheduled for wednesday.

Presumably this means I did well at the interview, otherwise they would not have invited me to an assessment?

Galvanize

I attended the interview but apparently HR weren't available that day for the assessments, so the interviewers said I would be invited back for an assessment.

I was invited to the assessment today, scheduled for wednesday.

Presumably this means I did well at the interview, otherwise they would not have invited me to an assessment?

I thought its normally done the other way round, assessment first, then followed by the interview!

But, well done in any case mate!

hedpe

When i applied, we had assessments first, followed by an interview to those who passed the assessments.

They posted me practice materials i think which i no longer have at hand. From what i remember, one of the tests involves listening to a recording where you will hear a series of sounds (Woman yelling "Train is ready to depart", beep followed by honk or something like that) and a question being asked by a customer.

The safety aspect is noting the order in which the sounds are played, because you need to be able to dispatch the train safely. There is only one correct order. The customers question poses as a distraction. You need to be able to mark on your answer sheet whether the train is ready to depart or not, and also answer the customers question.

Of course, most importantly you should correctly answer whether the train can depart or not. Answering the customers question correctly is 2nd in priority (but still important as you want the marks!).

Additionally there is another assessment where you have to read paragraphs of text and answer questions with A, B, C or D. They're testing how well you follow instructions and take in information correctly.

Last edited:

bengley

Established Member
Yeah, I was supposed to do the assessments first, but as HR weren't there they decided to interview all three of us instead.

RJ

Established Member
When i applied, we had assessments first, followed by an interview to those who passed the assessments.

They posted me practice materials i think which i no longer have at hand. From what i remember, one of the tests involves listening to a recording where you will hear a series of sounds (Woman yelling "Train is ready to depart", beep followed by honk or something like that) and a question being asked by a customer.

The safety aspect is noting the order in which the sounds are played, because you need to be able to dispatch the train safely. There is only one correct order. The customers question poses as a distraction. You need to be able to mark on your answer sheet whether the train is ready to depart or not, and also answer the customers question.

Of course, most importantly you should correctly answer whether the train can depart or not. Answering the customers question correctly is 2nd in priority (but still important as you want the marks!).

Additionally there is another assessment where you have to read paragraphs of text and answer questions with A, B, C or D. They're testing how well you follow instructions and take in information correctly.

Sounds exactly the same as the assessment I did for the ticket office job with Southern. Very, very difficult to fail unless you don't write anything.

bengley

Established Member
I think I did OK in the assessment, I answered all but two of the passenger questions, all of the dispatch questions and 24/32 of the STTV test. I'm fairly confident that I did OK.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just got a call asking me to go to a medical on the 28th. Am I right in thinking this is a good sign?

slick

Its a very good sign, as an ex dispatcher at euston for LM after the medical I was offered the position not long after. What can you expect subject to it being successful? Week one you will shadow another dispatcher, and literally watch everything they do, give you their ways of doing things, the guys at euston are pretty good. Some have been there since BR so they know the job inside out. Week two, I was sent to LM headquarters in Birmingham for company induction, and week three was birmingham again for dispatch training. The travel is free, and the second week I was put up in a hotel to stop me having to commute from london as on LM the trip was 3 hours plus! Then assesments in london, then out on the platforms! If theres anything else youd like to know about how dispatch works at euston feel free to message me. Hope all goes well for you anyway!

branchline

A few of the dispatchers at Euston are going on to be conductors at bletchley in the next few months, I was starting to get worried that there would be no one to dispatch us!

Good luck with the medical, hopefully your be dispatching me soon!

bengley

Established Member
Got my conditional offer today with a start date of 4th January. Not enough time to give work the 4 weeks notice, but I managed to come to an agreement with my manager.

I'm so happy!

RJ

Established Member
A few of the dispatchers at Euston are going on to be conductors at bletchley in the next few months, I was starting to get worried that there would be no one to dispatch us!

Good luck with the medical, hopefully your be dispatching me soon!

I think only one is!

Congrats bengley, you'll soon find that Euston is a place of non stop action - you'll never be bored, that's for sure.

LCC106

Established Member
Got my conditional offer today with a start date of 4th January. Not enough time to give work the 4 weeks notice, but I managed to come to an agreement with my manager.

I'm so happy!

Excellent news! Well done! New year, new start!

Aictos

Established Member
Congratulations, to second Slick if you have any questions regarding Dispatching - feel free to ask me as well, been in the job although with another TOC for over 4 years in the same job (over 5 years altogether).

Status
Not open for further replies.