• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ongoing ASLEF overtime bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHolmes

Then why are we still striking?
You should already know the answer to that

We have won a postponement and improvements, but we haven’t settled for what is on the table. The dealer doesn’t always win, even if the odds are in their favour.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whoosh

Established Member
A few posts have used the acronym ASOS. May I ask what it stands for, please? (Apologies if I've missed irs definition)

Many thanks

PS: one of the oddities of today's combined ASLEF overtime ban and RMT strike action is that Faygate (which is normally peak hours only) is getting two trains an hour in each direction. I might take the opportunity to visit the local pub
ASOS = Action Short Of a Strike, which can be a "work to conditions of employment" (also known as 'working to rule' I.e. No helpful favours), or an overtime ban.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I mostly agree, but the unions didn't help in the slightest when the 'stay at home' message was finally lifted, by endlessly going on about keeping social distancing and masks, implying that it wasn't 'safe' to travel by train and special precautions were necessary.

The Unions were merely repeating the message mandated by Government. They could hardly put out anything contradictory bearing in mind the Government were bankrolling the entire industry at that point.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Crazy after the last 13 years.
We don't know how the alternative would have performed in the various national crises since 2010, nor how any future alternative will.
Labour gave us the DfT-micromanagement of the railway, and continued with its privatised structure from 1997 onwards.
I haven't heard any considered plan from Labour for the railways, beyond "take the railway into public ownership".
I'm no fan of the current lot, but I can understand why they won the last 3 elections.
The railway is a minority interest at election time.

mandub

We don't know how the alternative would have performed in the various national crises since 2010, nor how any future alternative will.
Labour gave us the DfT-micromanagement of the railway, and continued with its privatised structure from 1997 onwards.
I haven't heard any considered plan from Labour for the railways, beyond "take the railway into public ownership".
I'm no fan of the current lot, but I can understand why they won the last 3 elections.
The railway is a minority interest at election time.
Well we could compare the economic performance of the UK compared to our international peer countries since 2010......

MikeWM

Established Member
The Unions were merely repeating the message mandated by Government. They could hardly put out anything contradictory bearing in mind the Government were bankrolling the entire industry at that point.

Probably not the thread to go into this in depth, but even after the government messaging changed, the unions were pushing back. Eg. this from July 2021:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/train-passenger-mask-union-operator-b1878199.html
In response, the general secretary of the RMT union, Mick Lynch, said:
“All the indications are that the government are going for a free-for-all, whereas common sense and medical advice seems to indicate that some level of control should remain in place in the public realm.

“RMT’s priority will be the safety of our members and the travelling public.”

Or this from January 2022:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/21/railway-union-not-board-government-face-mask-plans/
A railway union is demanding face masks remain mandatory on board trains, despite the Government’s plans to return to normal.

Manuel Cortes, the general secretary of TSSA said:...

“Sadiq Khan is spot on when he says face coverings should remain beyond the end of Plan B, especially given the rates of infection we are still seeing. Clearly the Government should back this, not only for London but across the rest of our public transport network.”

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we will draw this one to a close at this point as I suspect everyone has now had a chance to have their say.

If anyone has any issues travelling about during this (or any other) railway industrial action and they need advice then they can start a thread in our Trip Planning and Reports Section

thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.