• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operative , signal maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulm36

Hi all , just wondering if anyone could offer some advice please. I recently applied for the position of operative , signal maintenance. I made it to the point of application under consideration for assessment 2, and then received an email stating that after consideration I wasn't a match technically. However they do encourage me to search for other positions to apply for. Firstly is the encouragement legitimate or is it just a way of letting you down lightly, and secondly, I'm an NVQ Qualified plumber and have been working for a grounds maintenance company for the last 15 years , grafting out in all weather's covering everything from grass cutting to fence building to plumbing, so really I'm just wondering what sort of positions should I be applying for , if any , with my working history. Thank you for any advice in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

michael74

I have applied over the last 6 months for approx x1 track and x3 signal operative posts, while my recent work is not a relevant as yours, my past (especially in the signalling role) is a lot more relevant, but I too have only ever got to the same point as you.

Last edited:

Paulm36

I have applied over the last 6 months for approx x1 track and x3 signal operative posts, while my recent work is not a relevant as yours, my past (especially in the signalling role) is a lot more relevant, but I too have only ever got to the same point as you.
Frustrating isn't it . Really I'm just trying to work out whether my working history and qualifications will ever be a match for an operative role or if I'm just wasting my time , and if so what operative role best suits me. I read the job criteria and I seem to fit, but maybe not.

alxndr

Established Member
Off track would be closest to what you're doing now, but I see no reason why you'd be considered unsuitable, but then again I don't run the place...

You could try for any Off track posts that come up, and always try to apply internally if signalling is what you really want, but you'll probably be up against other people wanting to make the move too, so it's by no means guaranteed to be able to get a position internally either.

Paulm36

Off track would be closest to what you're doing now, but I see no reason why you'd be considered unsuitable, but then again I don't run the place...

You could try for any Off track posts that come up, and always try to apply internally if signalling is what you really want, but you'll probably be up against other people wanting to make the move too, so it's by no means guaranteed to be able to get a position internally either.
Thank you mate , I appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.