• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Corridor Phase 2 & Platform 5 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merioneth

There’s still almost no work being done every day. Plenty of marshals in pink overalls getting in the way, however. It seems to take two people plus a hired van with an in-flight bog to manage the traffic lights into Oseney Mead, 400m west, let alone the other crossing points.
Utterly hopeless, but nice work for Kier Group.

Oxfordblues

It's been good news for us cyclists in West Oxford with Botley Road much more civilised and I've witnessed a notable increase in cycling. Ironically the proprietor of the local bike shop has expressed concern at the potential loss of Christmas trade. I'd have thought he can expect a boom with cycling now the quickest way into town.

fishwomp

Took a look at south of the station yesterday. A set of points has been installed already, and a few yards off track. I don't know when that was done.

On the north side of the station, not much to see yet but the former buildings of the signal box are demolished.20231228_121501.jpg20231228_121512.jpg

JamesT

Established Member
Took a look at south of the station yesterday. A set of points has been installed already, and a few yards off track. I don't know when that was done.

On the north side of the station, not much to see yet but the former buildings of the signal box are demolished.View attachment 149311View attachment 149312
I would expect that track work was part of this summer’s blockade https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...re/oxfordshire-signalling-and-track-upgrades/
During our nine-day upgrade in Summer 2023 (29 July – 6 August), we installed high speed crossovers, updated signals and made changes to Osney Lane footbridge. We demolished the old brick pillar to make space for installation of track that will later serve the new platform 5.

Oxfordblues

I expect to see some serious progress starting in January. The new nursery on Becket Street car park looks ready, to allow demolition of the old "Turbo Ted's Nursery" next to the Sheepwash Stream. With that out of the way preparations for the two new bridges over the stream can begin, plus the new ramp down to Cripley Road making space for work on building Platform 5.

snowball

Established Member
This thread hasn't seen a post this year, but it's been stated in the MML thread that remodelling at Oxford is currently happening.

Fermiboson

I have not noticed anything happening on the bridge since January. The other day there were tractors rumbling around on the northwestern end of the station for whatever reason, and if you walk onto the southern end of Platform 4, there appear to have been markings for extensions and some form of pillar/shaft. Botley Road may or may not have been dug up - I have not gotten a close view - but if it is, I don’t know for what.

Station posters have been put up announcing several closure dates, I believe on weekends in the summer plus a one week closure in late July.

HerodesAtticus

This thread hasn't seen a post this year, but it's been stated in the MML thread that remodelling at Oxford is currently happening.
Piles for the new platform 5 are now going in, and the long (very, very long) process of sorting out the utilities under the Botley Road bridge continues - video from the last weekly update email here https://network-rail.wistia.com/medias/92mzr6zxzm - there are also updates on a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/oxfordshireconnect