• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Corridor Phase 2 & Platform 5 updates

zwk500

Veteran Member
I do wonder why when the big cranes are there anyway, they don't put up a few electrification gantries, even if it is ages before the wires get hung from them.
Because the final design for the electrification scheme hasn't been done, so they'd just be guessing where the gantries needed to go and it'd be a lot more work to correct it if they're wrong? Even being 1m out on a position could be problematic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
If anyone is interested, this document has lots of detail on the new station buildings on western side under new platform 5, and proposed 6m wide under tracks subway

That's really interesting to see the design process, although not sure why they felt comparison to the colleges was necessary when the building was hardly going to be a Gothic cathedral of gleaming spires!

Meerkat

Established Member
If anyone is interested, this document has lots of detail on the new station buildings on western side under new platform 5, and proposed 6m wide under tracks subway

The toilets are outside the barrier; will there be some on the new platform 4/5?
Seems a waste of space not to put 2 or 3 levels of offices/hotel on top. Could be useful for when the main building is demolished in later stages, and then let out.

JamesT

Established Member
The toilets are outside the barrier; will there be some on the new platform 4/5?
Seems a waste of space not to put 2 or 3 levels of offices/hotel on top. Could be useful for when the main building is demolished in later stages, and then let out.
The master plan has a future transfer deck over the top. So I don’t think there is anywhere on top to put anything else.

jimm

Established Member
Timeline per Network Rail is now as follows, so initial closure is for utility diversion work (I understand plan is to lower the road).

However if it turns out to be anything like the A363 bridge in Bradford-on-Avon, the utilities have taken about 4 months extra, having discovered when they started work, that they were actually a complicated muddle that wasn't mapped properly many decades ago
Which is why, in a attempt to avoid just such a problem, work was done in the area around the station last year to determine exactly where things were - with the findings being a factor in this extended road closure starting later than first proposed, once they knew what they were up against.

The only work being done this year is indeed utilities diversions. The main highways work linked to the new road bridge design will not take place until next year.

Network Rail has had detailed discussions with the government and Oxfordshire County Council and is now working to a new approved project timeline:

• 11 April 2023 to the end of October 2023: Botley Road closure for through traffic for utility diversion work.
  • March 2024 - October 2024: Botley Road closed to through traffic for highway work.
Network Rail originally planned for a 12 month closure starting in January 2023, but this had to be amended due to the complexities involved.
Source: https://news.oxfordshire.gov.uk/net...imetable-for-closures-of-oxfords-botley-road/

Meerkat

Established Member
The master plan has a future transfer deck over the top. So I don’t think there is anywhere on top to put anything else.
The plan above mentions the subway to 4/5 being built such that it could be extended, and this building doesn't obviously provide space to put in escalators/steps/lifts to a transfer deck. Also would have thought such a future transfer deck would have been mentioned in this document as a restraining factor to the design process.

Merioneth

The former Youth Hostel in the way of the new platform 5 was almost completely gone this morning, with a large tracked digger taking down big chunks of wall as I went past.

mr_moo

Interesting that the subway does not connect under the railway lines, so people entering here in the new entrance but going to the other side will go in, be directed along the platform, then up and over the existing footbridge. This feels very short sighted to me. I can just see someone thinking they have time as they enter the station building then they go into the subway and find all that faff, especially if the new platforms are crowded, then missing their train to London.

I'd be fascinated to see their pedflow calculations and their fire and evacuation strategy.

Thank you for sharing.

fgwrich

Established Member
Interesting that the subway does not connect under the railway lines, so people entering here in the new entrance but going to the other side will go in, be directed along the platform, then up and over the existing footbridge. This feels very short sighted to me. I can just see someone thinking they have time as they enter the station building then they go into the subway and find all that faff, especially if the new platforms are crowded, then missing their train to London.

I'd be fascinated to see their pedflow calculations and their fire and evacuation strategy.

Thank you for sharing.
I almost wonder if it is worth NR digging out the rest of the Subway up to base of the current building(while the station is closed for the bridge works), with an eventual aim of rebuilding the current ticket office and ultimately removing the bridge in the future. That said, they seem pretty content on building a Reading style “Transfer Deck” there, but unlike Reading and unless I’m mistaken, this one wouldn’t go all the way across to the western exit.

JamesT

Established Member
I almost wonder if it is worth NR digging out the rest of the Subway up to base of the current building(while the station is closed for the bridge works), with an eventual aim of rebuilding the current ticket office and ultimately removing the bridge in the future. That said, they seem pretty content on building a Reading style “Transfer Deck” there, but unlike Reading and unless I’m mistaken, this one wouldn’t go all the way across to the western exit.
For some reason it won’t let me copy from the doc, but it does say on page 26 the design safeguards a future expansion under the tracks.

Given the station’s location in relation to the city centre, the Eastern entrance is always going to be the primary one.

jimm

Established Member

Thank you for sharing.
The new entrance is largely intended for use by people living/working west of the station - not day trippers/tourists heading to/from the city centre - so they will likely be well aware of the station layout and access arrangements..

As one of the benefits of the replacement of the Botley Road bridge will be a radically improved walking/cycle route to Frideswide Square and the main station entrance, I suspect many people travelling to Didcot/Reading/London and approaching from the west will probably opt to walk under the tracks that way, rather than transit up and over through the station, unless it is tipping down with rain.

Equally, revised operating arrangements may well apply at Oxford in future, with the potential for some southbound departures using a platform on the new western island.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Equally, revised operating arrangements may well apply at Oxford in future, with the potential for some southbound departures using a platform on the new western island.
I’m fairly sure you’re right with this because, (as was discussed earlier in this thread), the track layout is designed so that the new platform 5 will be the preferred route for through trains, as it has the fastest route through the new junctions. Then, as you say, some terminating trains from the south will be able to remain in the existing P4 and depart south rather than running through to the sidings.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I’m fairly sure you’re right with this because, (as was discussed earlier in this thread), the track layout is designed so that the new platform 5 will be the preferred route for through trains, as it has the fastest route through the new junctions. Then, as you say, some terminating trains from the south will be able to remain in the existing P4 and depart south rather than running through to the sidings.
Already being factored in for when EW arrives apparently. You will likely see some trains terminating and starting south from 4.

Oxfordblues

An update on the new bus-reversal facility: demolition of the Youth Hostel is still not complete this evening Sunday 2nd April with another 3-4 days' work to go. The deadline must be Thursday 6th to clear the area so as to give enough space for the buses to turn. I anticipate some last-minute Easter weekend overtime work before the blockade starts on Tuesday 11th.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Pretty sure I recall that in the 1980s transfer between platforms was via a subway near the south end of the station, prior to the current footbridge being constructed. I wonder if the whole thing was filled in, or still exists in part, beneath the trackbed.

fishwomp

Pretty sure I recall that in the 1980s transfer between platforms was via a subway near the south end of the station, prior to the current footbridge being constructed. I wonder if the whole thing was filled in, or still exists in part, beneath the trackbed.
I believe it still exists - you can see (or could) wooden sleepers where the track passes over where the subway is. Whether it is or could be safe for any purpose, or blocked off, I don't know.

coppercapped

Established Member
The old subway was a tiny, smelly, grotty little affair, more a large pipe or culvert, which is why the bridge was built. Don't even think about getting it re-opened.

Falcon1200

Established Member
The old subway was a tiny, smelly, grotty little affair, more a large pipe or culvert, which is why the bridge was built. Don't even think about getting it re-opened.

I don't remember it being quite that bad! And it could serve a useful purpose if re-opened for a unidirectional flow; Trying to get over the footbridge to Platform 4 just after a train has arrived there can be challenging, to say the least.

Snow1964

Established Member
There is lot of logic doing it during a blockade, even if it is left as empty bare shell until it is needed. Much easier and cheaper than coming back later.

Could easily cost at least ten times as much if done as a standalone job later due to disruption. Not easy to dig out a trench, cast a base and walls, and put on the set of precast roof panels, and replace track when don't have a 10 day blockade

But downside is extra cost that might never get used. However the cost is relatively small in a £100m+ scheme.

zwk500

Veteran Member
There is lot of logic doing it during a blockade, even if it is left as empty bare shell until it is needed. Much easier and cheaper than coming back later.

Could easily cost at least ten times as much if done as a standalone job later due to disruption. Not easy to dig out a trench, cast a base and walls, and put on the set of precast roof panels, and replace track when don't have a 10 day blockade

But downside is extra cost that might never get used. However the cost is relatively small in a £100m+ scheme.
Agree with everything, but the big proviso there is IF you can do it all in the blockade you have - it's why retrofitting footbridges is much more popular than retrofitting subways.

jimm

Established Member

The various future station concepts for Oxford that were entered in a contest a few years ago* made it clear that the preference is for a transfer bridge arrangement across the station, including the entrances either side of the line, similar to Reading, so there would be little point digging a big hole all the way under the tracks if it never got used.

There's already one void there in the shape of the old subway, so I doubt the track engineers would be thrilled to have another added unless it is deemed absolutely necessary.

*The designs entered can be viewed on this page, using the Team A, B, etc links at the foot of the page

Meerkat

Established Member
The various future station concepts for Oxford that were entered in a contest a few years ago* made it clear that the preference is for a transfer bridge arrangement across the station, including the entrances either side of the line, similar to Reading, so there would be little point digging a big hole all the way under the tracks if it never got used.
On the other hand if that was an almost certainty then it seems odd that the western entrance doesn't seem to have allowed for that, unless all the internal walls are removable and that is why they have wastefully restricted the height and made it a flat roof.....

jimm

Established Member
On the other hand if that was an almost certainty then it seems odd that the western entrance doesn't seem to have allowed for that, unless all the internal walls are removable and that is why they have wastefully restricted the height and made it a flat roof.....
There's a bit of a difference between having a concept and where things stand - and there still is no timeline or funding for a major rebuild of the station at present, whereas there is a timeline and funding for rebuilding Botley Road bridge, and adding an extra through platform - which cuts off the existing western access to platform 4 (a gated passageway next to the buffet, open in the peaks) - and a desire to maintain a western access and improve it, in conjunction with the platform 5 project.

The chosen design is pretty plain vanilla, presumably to provide an affordable and functional solution for the time being.

Though as this is Oxford station we're talking about, there's every chance the short-term solution may become near-permanent - think old GWR timber buildings, and then the BR CLASP prefabricated structure (1971-1990)

snowball

Established Member
Press release (dated yesterday)

Residents of Oxford are reminded that as part of Network Rail’s £161million station and railway upgrade, Botley Road will be temporarily closed near Oxford station from 11 April until the end of October to enable station and track improvements and highways redevelopment.

Motorists and Oxford residents are encouraged to plan ahead as the £161m Oxford rail station and railway area upgrade programme gets underway in earnest on 11 April.

The rail station and railway upgrades, part of the Oxfordshire Connect programme, involves building a bigger and better Oxford station, expanding the railway to allow more rail services for passengers and freight and reduce journey times in the future. The road network near the station will also be improved to create safer junctions with Botley Road, encourage sustainable transport by enhancing bus travel as well as providing more space for cyclists and pedestrians through the addition of a four-metre cycle/footway on each side of the main road.

This will require the replacement of the current bridge at Botley Road by the station so that an additional railway line can be added into the station and buses, cyclists and pedestrians can more easily access the city centre. Before the bridge is physically replaced next year, 11 different utility providers must divert their infrastructure that currently runs underneath the existing bridge and Network Rail must undertake other preliminary works.

Between 11 April and the end of October:

Motorists that usually use Botley Road to get into the city are advised to use the one of the city’s Park & Ride sites (Seacourt is closest as it is located on Botley Road), to take an alternative route into the city
Buses will turn around just before the rail bridge and use the existing bus stops on Osney Island
Pedestrians and cyclists will have access into the city throughout the work
Local residents’ access to their homes will remain at all times, with some diversions in place
The railway station will be open throughout the works. Owing to the current closure of Nuneham viaduct, rail replacement services are in operation between Oxford and Didcot Parkway, extending journeys times. Further details are available at www.networkrail.co.uk/nuneham
All businesses will be open as usual
For people that need assistance getting to/from the city centre, there will be an accessible bus service operating from Osney and Botley. Please contact [email protected] for further information.

Network Rail is working with Oxfordshire County Council’s Inclusive Transport and Movement Focus Group and OxTalk to create an audio guide to help people make the journey independently between Osney Island and the train station and Frideswide Square.

In the autumn, the section of Botley Road near the station will reopen until it closes again in the spring of 2024 for the bridge to be demolished, replaced and highways improvements made.

When the works are complete by the end of 2024, Oxford station will boast a new western entrance that will be built next to Botley Road and will link up to the new and existing platforms via a subway. The new entrance will make the station more accessible to people living to the west of the station, reducing the current walking time. Dedicated cycle parking will also be available.

As part of the plans, the road network will also be improved near to the station as the railway bridge above Botley Road will be replaced and the road lowered to enable standard double-decker buses to pass underneath for the first time. A four-metre wide cycle/footpath will also be installed on each side to encourage sustainable transport and improve safety.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

A Victorian brick archway and a hand grenade are among some of the unique challenges that temporarily paused progress on the major project, with round the clock shifts now set to begin.

Work on the £161m Oxford station and railway upgrade had to be paused in June, after contractors unearthed an inverted brick arch under the road at Botley Road bridge.

Ground investigations have since revealed the historic arch is far larger than previously known - reaching a metre deep and stretching around 100 metres - the full length between Mill Street and Frideswide Square.

Archaeologists believe the arch is part of a Victorian water system, designed to keep river water away from the railway and city.

A new work schedule has had to be drawn up to safely remove the brick arch before Network Rail and contractors, Kier Group, can continue to divert the utilities below Botley Road. This will involve the installation of piles to support the bridge and a switch to 24/7 working hours. During this work, a temporary drainage system will be in place to manage groundwater, before a new permanent pumping system is installed later in the project.

From the week commencing Monday 14 August, the team on site will be working from 7am until 7pm, seven days a week. Starting on Saturday 2 September, around the clock work will be carried out on site. To reduce disturbance to those in the area, the nosiest work will be carried out during the day. This revised approach has been agreed with Oxford City Council, in consultation with Oxfordshire County Council.

The multi-million-pound project to upgrade the station, the railway and the surrounding local road network will boost passengers’ travel experience whilst better connecting rail links to the East of Oxford. Once complete, the station and railway upgrades - part of the Oxfordshire Connect programme – will provide travellers with a bigger and better Oxford station and an expanded railway which will enable more services for passengers and freight, with reduced journey times.

The road network near the station will also be improved, with safer junctions with Botley Road and more opportunities for sustainable transport, including enhanced bus travel as well as more space for cyclists and pedestrians through the addition of a four-metre cycle and footway on each side of the main road.

Merioneth

Press release

I walk over the footbridge from
Oxford ststion car park most days. Normally, there are three hopeless marshalls interfering with people trying to cross the road for every actual construction worker. Most of the latter are usually grouped in dayglo orange huddles. Almost no work seems to be done for days on end. The contrast between this huge waste of time and money and the quick work on Nuneham Viaduct is notable.

snowball

Established Member
Another press release

Network Rail has announced that the road underneath Botley Road bridge in Oxford is to remain closed until October 2024, after a number of unique challenges delayed the project this summer.

The road was due to open next month, with a further six-month closure planned from March 2024 to October 2024. While the project switched to 24-hour working in August, the programme remains incredibly challenging. Despite round-the-clock work, the delays encountered now mean that Botley Road will not be able to reopen this October. The road will remain closed at the rail bridge until October 2024, enabling the teams on site to do the necessary work.

The multi-million-pound project to upgrade the station, the railway and the surrounding road network will improve journeys and provide better connecting rail links to the east of Oxford. Once complete, the station and railway upgrades - part of the Oxfordshire Connect programme – will provide passengers with a bigger and better Oxford station and an expanded railway which will enable more services for passengers and freight, with reduced journey times.  

The road network near the station will also be improved, with safer junctions with Botley Road and more opportunities for sustainable transport, including enhanced bus travel as well as more space for cyclists and pedestrians through the addition of a four-metre cycle and footway on each side of the main road.   

Work on the £161m Oxford station and railway upgrade had to be paused in June, after contractors unearthed an inverted brick arch, thought to be part of the original Victorian drainage system. Work was also put on hold in July, when a nearby area had to be evacuated following the discovery of a WWII era hand grenade within the work site.

Ground investigations revealed the historic arch is far larger than previously known - reaching a metre deep and stretching for around 100 metres between Mill Street and Frideswide Square – and that it could form part of the structural support of the railway bridge.  

The extent of the arch meant that the programme of work had to be redesigned to make sure the bridge is stable and fully supported while the complex utilities under the road are diverted. The new programme involves installing 700 piles – support structures that are driven deep into the ground. A temporary drainage system will manage groundwater before a new permanent pumping system is installed later in the project. 

Piling work began in August and will continue until mid-October. Because this work is noisy, the three piling rigs required for the job will only be in use between 8am and 6pm on weekdays and alternate weekends. Following the announcement in August that 24-hour working would be needed owing to the delays caused by the extent of the brick arch, quieter work will take place throughout the night to reduce disruption to residents and businesses.

Dale Crutcher, Network Rail’s industry programme director for Greater Oxford, said: “This project is extremely complex and has been made even more challenging by the extent of the brick arch underneath the road. We’ve explored a number of options to deliver the works which included moving to working around the clock, but unfortunately with needing the infrastructure to be ready by the end of next year we have no choice but to keep the road closed until October 2024.

“I understand this will be disappointing for residents and businesses, and I’m sorry for the disruption this will cause.

“Engagement with stakeholders will continue with the next local community drop-in at West Oxford Community Centre on Wednesday 27 September between 2.30pm and 6.00pm, where members of the project team will be available to answer your questions.”