• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paper season tickets to be phased out?

Paper or smartcard season tickets?

• Paper season tickets

Votes: 67 53.6%
  • Smartcard season tickets

Votes: 58 46.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Your photo is encoded on the chip inside a passport, but as you'll know from scanning it in at an airport e-gate, the process is not very quick. It takes around 10 seconds to transfer due to what I assume is a very low bitrate with a lot of error correction.

No, the actual read is very quick (there's an app to do it on your phone if you want to see what's on there, and it takes well under a second). I suspect it's because of it doing checks with the Border Force's database like happens when you go to a manned desk; certain things there would result in referral to a person.

But TBH the idea of printing the photo on the card if relevant seems a good one to me, or just require Government photo ID to be carried (i.e. EU passport/driving licence), most adults have a driving licence and carry it all the time, and those who don't could request a railway photocard in the traditional way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPI

Established Member
The original Southern Key cards had a photo, but its successor from GTR doesn't. There must be a reason why cards no longer have a photo.
The reason we were told was simply speed of issue, ticket offices were taking up to ten minutes to print and produce one card when photos were involved

jon0844

Veteran Member
No, the actual read is very quick (there's an app to do it on your phone if you want to see what's on there, and it takes well under a second). I suspect it's because of it doing checks with the Border Force's database like happens when you go to a manned desk; certain things there would result in referral to a person.

But TBH the idea of printing the photo on the card if relevant seems a good one to me, or just require Government photo ID to be carried (i.e. EU passport/driving licence), most adults have a driving licence and carry it all the time, and those who don't could request a railway photocard in the traditional way.
That's a big improvement then because the last time I used the app it was very slow as I stated. Admittedly this was a good number of years ago because there has been no need for me to scan my passport since!

Starmill

Veteran Member
ScotRail's cards have been issued with photos since I think 2015. West Yorkshire ones since I think 2014. Really not difficult.

The other obvious thing to do is just remove the photocard requirement for a 7 Day Season. It's really not worth the hassle for the fraud risk. Several tramway and metro operators allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.