• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino or Voyager ? (or other...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T163R

Hi everyone,

I would like to know (for my UK summer holidays 2011) if the Virgin Trains service from London to Birmingham (any Birmingham station) is operated by Class 390 Pendolinos or Voyagers ? (or other...)

Thanks !)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I would like to know (for my UK summer holidays 2011) if the Virgin Trains service from London to Birmingham (any Birmingham station) is operated by Class 390 Pendolinos or Voyagers ? (or other...)

Thanks !)

Almost exclusively Pendolinos. :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Or you might get lucky and go to Marylebone to get to Birmingham and avoid a Pendo altogether !!!

If you want WSMR stock (old Mk2 carriages and 57s (?)), look for diagrams on this line, much better than Pendos.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Chiltern is better to go to Birmingham ?

See above, quieter and only slightly slower (and possibility of LHCS too) ;)

T163R

If you want WSMR stock (old Mk2 carriages and 57s (?)), look for diagrams on this line, much better than Pendos.

See above, quieter and only slightly slower (and possibility of LHCS too) ;)

Well i've never been on a pendular train before, so I would really like to try the Pendos...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Well i've never been on a pendular train before, so I would really like to try the Pendos...

Have you ever been on a Class 168 Clubman before though?

Chiltern gives you a quieter service, and a better run out from London and into Birmingham, Virgin can be quite busy and are stop starty - you never really get going for more than 40 or so miles, Chiltern can go for or 70 miles non-stop.

T163R

Have you ever been on a Class 168 Clubman before though?

Chiltern gives you a quieter service, and a better run out from London and into Birmingham, Virgin can be quite busy and are stop starty - you never really get going for more than 40 or so miles, Chiltern can go for or 70 miles non-stop.

But a Clubman is a...well a train...a "normal" (may i say this :D) train.
A pendular train can be a great experience I think.... no ? :D

asylumxl

Established Member
Clubmans are interregional trains in my opinion. Pendos are intercity trains. Stick with Virgin.

Also they may run non-stop for less time but they most certainly run faster.

Minilad

Established Member
Depends what you mean by a great experience
I don't like them much to be honest but enough people on here seem to think they are great

MCR247

Established Member
Go for the 390. Not just saying that because I like them, but like I said for the experience. Its a lot more exciting than trundling away on a 168 with my nan on a zimmerframe overtaking you acceleration wise....

Yew

Established Member
Pendolinos will be in service for many years to come. But how longa 57 with MkII's will be around, well its nowhere near as long

sprinterguy

Established Member
67s and mark 3s. :)
Eh?

Chiltern are very much a regional operator with a "regional" stopping pattern. Most Marylebone to Birmingham services, even the faster ones, have one or more stops south of Banbury, just another twenty minutes until Leamington, and then two or three between there and Birmingham. Whereas with the Virgin services many trains offer an uninterrupted run as far as Coventry, and then just one further stop at International.

Having said that, the Chiltern journey is very pleasant, comfortable and relaxing and the 168s are very smooth trains that offer a decent view, and the Pendos really fall down on that last point!

Even better now that some of the ex-Wrexham and Shropshire stock is used on the Chiltern route, albeit not nearly as good as when Wrexham and Shropshire themselves were operating over the route, with their superb first class offering.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
67s and mark 3s. :)

Eh?

Chiltern are very much a regional operator with a "regional" stopping pattern. Most Marylebone to Birmingham services, even the faster ones, have one or more stops south of Banbury, just another twenty minutes until Leamington, and then two or three between there and Birmingham. Whereas with the Virgin services many trains offer an uninterrupted run as far as Coventry, and then just one further stop at International.

Having said that, the Chiltern journey is very pleasant, comfortable and relaxing and the 168s are very smooth trains that offer a decent view, and the Pendos really fall down on that last point!

Typically Bicester North, Banbury, Leamington Spa, Warwick parkway and Solihull. Virgin's is either Watford Jn/MKC/Rugby, then Coventry, International and New St. On the EBW you enver really get to feel the power of the 390s, on 168s you get a good run.

WestCoast

Established Member
Aww, if you've never been on a 390 before - try it out and make up your own mind. They are like Marmite on here - some love, some hate! You could do that one way and take Chiltern on the return.

Personally, the experience of a Pendolino depends on many variables: how busy the train is, where you sit (pillar-less vs. good seats at the back of the quiet zone), First Class vs. Standard Class e.t.c.

For me, it has at least one thing going for it - it isn't a Voyager! Too many bad memories of that train (sitting in smelly vestibules with bags all around e.t.c) - at least I tend to get a seat on a Pendo! The Voyager has the worst interior design I've ever seen - disabled toilets galore instead of seats and every time I board one I am greeted with a mildish musty, sewage smell in the vestibule...

sprinterguy

Established Member
Typically Bicester North, Banbury, Leamington Spa, Warwick parkway and Solihull. Virgin's is either Watford Jn/MKC/Rugby, then Coventry, International and New St. On the EBW you enver really get to feel the power of the 390s, on 168s you get a good run.
I can see a lot more Warwicks, Haddenham and Thames and Princes Risboroughs over the course of the day in the Chiltern timetable, although I hadn't realised that pretty much all the VT Birmingham services have a Rugby, Milton Keynes or Watford Junction stop in them: I could swear a lot of the Birmingham to Euston journeys I've done haven't stopped south of Coventry, except a few that had a Rugby call.

I'd beg to differ on the West Coast run: It's the phenomenal acceleration of the Pendolinos away from station stops up to 125mph that makes them so impressive!

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Out of Marylebone, the Moor Street terminators will generally go Bicester - Banbury - Leamington - Warwick Parkway - Solihull - Moor Street. Snow Hill terminators will call additionally at places like High Wycombe, Princes Risborough, Haddenham & Thame (etc).

I think both routes have their merits. Marylebone is undoubtedly a much nicer station than Euston. Moor Street is a much nicer station than New Street. You get an incredibly close look at Wembley Stadium if you go out of Marylebone, the Chiltern mainline is virtually in it's shadow. If architecture is your thing, Chiltern is the way to go.

I like Pendolinos though. It's nice being on a train with so much grunt and Virgin West Coast is a good 30 minutes faster (though this gap in speed will close significantly from September) and Pendolinos still have that "futuristic" look about them.

The good thing about London - Birmingham having two completely different routes is that you can experience both if you are making a return trip. If you are going back to London and have a ticket which is valid on both routes, an "any permitted" ticket (or a Britrail pass?) then make the trip north one way and the trip back south the other.

Crossover

Established Member

The Clubmans are nice trains but I would advise on giving the 390's a go (even if it does mean going from Euston to New Street via Milton Keynes!)
Will be interested to know what you think of them

Have to agree they probably are like marmite, but I do quite like the Pendos on the whole :)

junglejames

Established Member

A pendy is a great experience. When your stepping off of it :lol:

Basically no, Pendys are nothing special. So they tilt. Wow. You can hardly notice it. Makes no difference to most people.
Now if you want to feel as if you have had an experience, then go with Chiltern and get one of the loco hauleds. The ex WSMR Mk3s make you feel like you are travelling in style.
The pendys just make it seem as though you are travelling in a plastic uncomfortable can.
To show you how amazing pendys are. First class in a pendy is worse than standard class on an ex WSMR Mk3.
Even a 168 is more pleasurable than a pendy, even though the underfloor engines make them noisier.
Oh, and yes clubmans are normal trains. By this do you mean pendys are abnormal? Youd be right there, but not in a good way!
Go for the 390. Not just saying that because I like them, but like I said for the experience. Its a lot more exciting than trundling away on a 168 with my nan on a zimmerframe overtaking you acceleration wise....

What experience is this? The tilt is nothing special, unless perhaps speeding through the lowlands, and the acceleration? I can honestly say it never gave me any wow factor. I hardly noticed it. I only notice it on the 395s because they are noisy and rough riding.

However yes, ive now changed my mind, i think the pendy should be used. All these people slate New Street. Here is one person who is about to say how brilliant it is. The relief on getting there will make the station seem amazing.

Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member

Go on, take the Pendolino. It's actually not that bad, I don't see why so many people dislike them. I've been on them many times, and whilst the styling may be slightly oppresive, it's not a bad train at all!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Just be careful if you are travelling in summer, some quite diagrams are replaced with voyagers to free up pendos for Birmingham - Scotland. Not many however.

sprinterguy

Established Member
and the acceleration? I can honestly say it never gave me any wow factor. I hardly noticed it.
Seriuously? The Pendolinos go like sh*t off a shovel from a standing start compared to just about anything in this country that isn't a suburban EMU, which is quite amazing for such a heavy train. It really goes to show the benefits of distributed traction, and its' nice to know that finally the West Coast route to Scotland has been brought up to the same speed as the East, after lagging behind for years.

First class on a Pendolino has a great ambience to it: I'd say it's "cosy". Standard class is comfortable enough on a quiet train where there's a few seats to choose from, but nothing spectacular on a busy service.

The reverse curves around Tring (IIRC) are great fun for tilting: It might be worth giving the Pendolinos a go simply for that bit: If you can't notice it then you must have your eyes shut (And hence it is doing its' job by compensating for the G forces round curves)!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The reverse curves around Tring (IIRC) are great fun for tilting: It might be worth giving the Pendolinos a go simply for that bit: If you can't notice it then you must have your eyes shut (And hence it is doing its' job by compensating for the G forces round curves)!

Best parts are Berkhamsted station, (Tring is actually on straight track), Leighton Buzzard tunnel (northbound only), Wolverton station, and the area around Weedon.

You'll get close to the full 8 degrees of tilt at these sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.