• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People not knowing the dangers of the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompey00

Mainly Kids but also adults constantly running up and down the platforms , standing over yellow line as a fast non stopper train approaches do kids understand the danger. Should there be more frequent announcements about this and also not riding stunt scooters, bikes, e-scooter, skateboards, roller skates etc on the platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PGAT

Established Member
The people who don’t understand the dangers of the tracks are also likely to be the same people who don’t listen or defy announcements.

Pompey00

The people who don’t understand the dangers of the tracks are also likely to be the same people who don’t listen or defy announcements.
True so I guess they’ll never listen then.

God no <(

There are more than enough announcements already, including about this, adding even more won’t make people alter their behaviour.
True but it’s so dangerous like the amount of warnings they get and then the train horn when they are over the line should scare them enough.

Edsmith

Mainly Kids but also adults constantly running up and down the platforms , standing over yellow line as a fast non stopper train approaches do kids understand the danger. Should there be more frequent announcements about this and also not riding stunt scooters, bikes, e-scooter, skateboards, roller skates etc on the platforms.
Definitely no to more announcements, which they probably won't take any notice of anyway, but kids should be warned about the dangers of railway lines by their parents or school.

syorksdeano

Don't the BTP or whoever it was still go around the schools warning of the dangers of playing on train tracks?

I remember that from school all those years ago

QueensCurve

Established Member
Don't the BTP or whoever it was still go around the schools warning of the dangers of playing on train tracks?

I remember that from school all those years

There was a 1960s British rail poster that likened rail hazards to those of the natural world - trainst to cheetahs, switch rails to alligator jaws, juice rails to electric eels etc. I do wish I still had a copy.

How much it helped I don't know.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

I remember that from school all those years ago
Yes, we had an officer come into the school I work at least year for this reason.

PaulJ

Unfortunately too many announcements just become white noise.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
"Arlo's Adventures There and Back" by Bessie Matthews is an attractive story booklet aimed at primary school aged children focusing on rail safety related matters.

Published 2022 by the Community Rail Education Network.

Extract from back cover of booklet..
Travelling on trains can be really fun, but the railway can be a dangerous place of you're not careful.

Can you help Arlo and his friends make safe choices while enjoying their day around the railway?

Arlo s Adventures.jpeg

Pic of "Arlo's Adventures There and Back" booklet.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Platforms at Huddersfield became very overcrowded yesterday with the disruption, and I wonder if two years of lockdowns has affected people's spatial awareness when it comes to crowds. Seemed to be a lot of clashing and bags being entangled. There weren't many trains running, but if you fall face first onto a steel rail there doesn't need to be.

The exile

Established Member
It doesn’t help when so many warnings that are given are so patently wrong. The number of times I’ve seen “Stand clear, fast train approaching” (or equivalent) as a freight grinds to a halt at the platform, after the fast train has passed through, or even - alarmingly - on a bay platform.

d70g

"Arlo's Adventures There and Back" by Bessie Matthews is an attractive story booklet aimed at primary school aged children focusing on rail safety related matters.

View attachment 123199

Pic of "Arlo's Adventures There and Back" booklet.

Forcing a badger into human clothes, then making it traverse the rail network, is an accident waiting to happen.

Edsmith

It doesn’t help when so many warnings that are given are so patently wrong. The number of times I’ve seen “Stand clear, fast train approaching” (or equivalent) as a freight grinds to a halt at the platform, after the fast train has passed through, or even - alarmingly - on a bay platform.
At some stations the fast train approaching announcements are made long before the fast train actually gets there and that must be a factor in people ignoring them.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Forcing a badger into human clothes, then making it traverse the rail network, is an accident waiting to happen.
Not just badgers at risk. Arlo the badger's friends include Duskie the rabbit (or similar?) and Moss the fox cub. ;)

crosscity

Have you not heard of kids playing chicken? No announcement is going to stop that kind of behaviour. About twenty years ago there were two teenagers sat with their legs dangling over the platform at Kings Norton. I approached them and they said: "what business is it of yours?". I said I didn't want to be one of the people helping to scrape them off a train. Fortunately they moved soon afterwards with no train in sight.

TheEdge

Established Member
The problem I find is that people just don't recognise railways as a potentially dangerous environment, and they fall into an odd area.

Everyone knows to look when you cross a road because you do it all the time and the dangers are obvious and drilled into you from a young age. So although it's a super regular situation people treat it properly.

On the other extreme if you are walking across an airport apron to a set of airstairs its an alien environment, you are chaperoned and are very aware of the dangers, because of the strangeness of the situation.

But railways are normal enough that the public wander free on them without chaperones like an apron but dangerous enough to kill. But that normalisation of the environment means people just don't recognise the danger

Established Member

Definitely not more announcements!

To be fair, when was the last time someone doing this kind of thing* was accidentally killed? Obviously it’s a very silly thing to do but I’m not sure it actually translates into many casualties.

*as opposed to deliberate suicides or trap and drag type incidents.

Yes, we had an officer come into the school I work at least year for this reason.

Very glad to hear that still happens! Hopefully with a suitably hard hitting RED type video.

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I think many people, adults even more than children, do not bother thinking about safety, their own or others, whether on a train station, or in particular when driving.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What I often see is people very close to the platform edge, so the driver of an incoming train whacks the horn on in a loud and sudden manner. I’m scared this will one day have the opposite effect to intent, and shock the person/make them jump and therefore unbalanced, making it more likely they fall off the edge. It certainly makes me jump when I hear sudden loud horns.

Pompey00

At some stations the fast train approaching announcements are made long before the fast train actually gets there and that must be a factor in people ignoring them.
Normally like minute or less before . And rarely but have had some stations not have announcement.

Fred Dinenage

What I often see is people very close to the platform edge, so the driver of an incoming train whacks the horn on in a loud and sudden manner. I’m scared this will one day have the opposite effect to intent, and shock the person/make them jump and therefore unbalanced, making it more likely they fall off the edge. It certainly makes me jump when I hear sudden loud horns.
What would you suggest?

PGAT

Established Member
It’s not like they can do what some stations do and put glass barriers on platforms until train comes to expensive and inefficient.
I believe that’s only on the Jubilee line and the Elizabeth line

bramling

Veteran Member

Why does the solution to any problem have to be in the form of announcements, which was already know a proportion of people don’t pay any attention to?

Pompey00

I believe that’s only on the Jubilee line and the Elizabeth line
Yh only underground but I mean like around U.K. just outdoor stations .

Why does the solution to any problem have to be in the form of announcements, which was already know a proportion of people don’t pay any attention to?
True but maybe btp or members of Railway like network rail going to schools warning kids.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've seen an advert on YouTube warning of the dangers of climbing on wagons. I think it's one of a campaign but not seen any others.

Status
Not open for further replies.