• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
We all know motorway service stations are an absolute profiteering ripoff and today I drove up the M61 M6 M74 and several service stations were displaying £1.66.9. Half a mile off the motorway in Greta you could fill up for £1.44.9, and likewise one mile off the motorway in Lockerbie for the same. I waited until I got close to home and put in 55 litres at Sainsburys at Cheadle Royal at 1.42.9 a saving of over £13 compared to the motorway prices. I can never understand why anybody ever fills up at a service station ( at least at their own expense) when for a small detour there is so much better value to be found in towns and villages so close to the motorway.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
We all know motorway service stations are an absolute profiteering ripoff and today I drove up the M61 M6 M74 and several service stations were displaying £1.66.9. Half a mile off the motorway in Greta you could fill up for £1.44.9, and likewise one mile off the motorway in Lockerbie for the same. I waited until I got close to home and put in 55 litres at Sainsburys at Cheadle Royal at 1.42.9 a saving of over £24 compared to the motorway prices. I can never understand why anybody ever fills up at a service station ( at least at their own expense) when for a small detour there is so much better value to be found in towns and villages so close to the motorway.

Either you have a fuel card, travel for business and claim fuel off expenses or you're completely out of fuel

Starmill

Veteran Member
We all know motorway service stations are an absolute profiteering ripoff and today I drove up the M61 M6 M74 and several service stations were displaying £1.66.9. Half a mile off the motorway in Greta you could fill up for £1.44.9, and likewise one mile off the motorway in Lockerbie for the same. I waited until I got close to home and put in 55 litres at Sainsburys at Cheadle Royal at 1.42.9 a saving of over £13 compared to the motorway prices. I can never understand why anybody ever fills up at a service station ( at least at their own expense) when for a small detour there is so much better value to be found in towns and villages so close to the motorway.
Some people are of course travelling on a work account, where the difference in costs is a lot less important, but other people are quite happy to pay £13 for convenience. It's the same reason people pay £3.50 for a cup of coffee onboard a train when Greggs outside the station would have sold them one for £1.10. Others will pay to alleviate the anxiety of driving with their low fuel warning on, or because they're aware of the Highway Code's instruction that you mustn't drive without enough fuel to reach your destination and don't even consider that there might be anywhere else to fuel up.

TheEdge

Established Member
About 145 at Sainsbury's Newhaven where I often fill up. BP premium unleaded E5 near A23 I think was about 170.
To be honest I just use the E10 now , I did go through a phase of using premium when I heard some people saying E10 got less miles in a tank, but frankly I'm not seeing any difference.

My Volvo V40 absolutely hates E10, it was taking a full tank from ~430 miles down to ~360/70.

So paying the 160 something rather than 145 for E5 makes sense.

cactustwirly

Established Member
My Volvo V40 absolutely hates E10, it was taking a full tank from ~430 miles down to ~360/70.

So paying the 160 something rather than 145 for E5 makes sense.

Interesting what engine do you have? My parent's T2 is fine with E10.
There will be a drop in economy anyway as you're replacing some petrol with ethanol so you're reducing the calorific content of the fuel.
My V40 is Diesel so I'm fine (550 miles to a tank) :lol:

I was just relieved of £80 to fill it just now, 145.9 for Diesel at Tesco, most other garages are 149.9-151.9 around Reading

TheEdge

Established Member
Interesting what engine do you have? My parent's T2 is fine with E10.
There will be a drop in economy anyway as you're replacing some petrol with ethanol so you're reducing the calorific content of the fuel.
My V40 is Diesel so I'm fine (550 miles to a tank) :lol:

Mine is the T3 so that may make a bit of a difference but I just noticed a real drop with E10 and a bit of a cough when cold which E5 doesn't seem to present.

DelW

Established Member
My local Jet station (normally cheapest in the area) has now gone to 146.9p for petrol (E10), so is now above the previous-highest 145.9 that I paid on 24th November last year.

It's now level with the highest I have ever paid, on the 13th March 2013 (though that was for diesel, so petrol would probably have been a couple of pence per litre less).

(Edit: I've found I have once paid a higher price for diesel, 147.9p on 4th April 2012, so it was around the same price as now almost ten years ago).

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Edit: I've found I have once paid a higher price for diesel, 147.9p on 4th April 2012, so it was around the same price as now almost ten years ago).

if fuel prices had risen in line with CPI inflation since then, they would be now 176.9p. So in real terms, it’s cheap!

asw22

if fuel prices had risen in line with CPI inflation since then, they would be now 176.9p. So in real terms, it’s cheap!

I judge the price of petrol by how busy the roads are and it can often take ten minutes to cross my local B road sometimes (even on a Sunday), and it seems to be getting busier.

nlogax

Established Member
Driving between SW London and NE Surrey this morning I was seeing regular unleaded for anything from 1.44 (Asda where there is always a queue at any time of day or night) to 1.49 (Shell). Ticking up week by week..

johncrossley

Established Member
Why is it news when petrol reaches a record high price? The rate of inflation is usually positive, so you would expect most things to continually go up in price and therefore reach a record level each time the price goes up.

If prices are going up above the rate of inflation, then that might be news.

Some historical prices are shown here:

Prices per litre:

1983: 36.7p
1990: 40.2p
2000: 76.2p
2010: 111.2p

Using the inflation calculator here:

converting to 2021 prices we get:

1983: 131.8p
1990: 87.59p
2000: 136.5p
2010: 151.7p

birchesgreen

Established Member
Paid over 150p a litre for the first time earlier, unfortunately it'll probably be the new normal (if we're lucky!)

PeterC

Established Member
Are we going to see another ridiculous run on the pumps situation?
This evening I passed 4 petrol stations. One had queues along the carriageway, one closed and 2 no queues.

EssexGonzo

Just to show that the UK is not alone in rising fuel prices, I’ve been in the same area of France since 16th January.

The local larger supermarket down in the valley was selling diesel at €1.67 when I arrived. £1.40 at my credit card’s conversion rate of 1.19.

Today, same venue: €1.76, £1.47 at the same rate.

A 5% rise in 5 and a half weeks.

E5 Unleaded is about 10% more expensive.

nlogax

Established Member
With the recent outbreak of extra unpleasantness I'm expecting it'll be not too long before the £2.00/l mark is passed. Naturally you'll first see it as you drive past motorway services stations.

scosutsut

Edinburgh Dreghorn - £1.539
Edinburgh Sainsbury's Straiton £1.439
Edinburgh Costco - £1.399

Today for 95 Ron unleaded

RichJF

It's crept over £1.50 in my neck of the woods for the first time. We probably had the cheapest petrol around recently but it's caught up!

Cletus

Established Member
They were rumours of queues and panic buying in Kent on Friday afternoon, but it seems to have died out.

al78

Established Member
Why is it news when petrol reaches a record high price? The rate of inflation is usually positive, so you would expect most things to continually go up in price and therefore reach a record level each time the price goes up.

If prices are going up above the rate of inflation, then that might be news.

Some historical prices are shown here:

Prices per litre:

1983: 36.7p
1990: 40.2p
2000: 76.2p
2010: 111.2p

Using the inflation calculator here:

converting to 2021 prices we get:

1983: 131.8p
1990: 87.59p
2000: 136.5p
2010: 151.7p
It is news because it causes hardship alongside wage stagnation and the fact that when fuel costs increase, so does everything that relies on transport to some extent, thus pushing up inflation on almost everything else. Many people don't have much slack in their wages/expenses so there is a limit to the amount of inflation they can absorb before they start to suffer. The UK often thinks like America and looks on motorists as some kind of deity that should never be criticised, so motorists suffering in some way is reported as something terrible, and tragedy sells newspapers. It would still take a far more massive hike in fuel prices for it to be more expensive for me to drive from Horsham to Salford instead of getting the train now that I can no longer find advance tickets.

dk1

Veteran Member
Brent hit $113 this afternoon before dropping back slightly. Blimey!!

Make that $114 tonight.

Last edited:

daodao

Established Member
Unleaded was 141.9 p/litre at Tesco in Northwich (next to the damaged railway station) on St.David's Day.