• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

david1212

Established Member
Only Wednesday I reported Asda up to 146.7p/litre E10 unleaded & 151.7p/litre diesel.

This afternoon coming home up again up to 148.7p/litre E10 unleaded & 154.7p/litre diesel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
My local garage seems to be raising the price by a penny a day. 156.9 when I passed this morning

adc82140

Established Member
Esso Downton diesel at 170.9 First one I've seen that expensive off the motorways.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Tesco in North East Manchester today was 145.9 pence per litre for petrol and 148.9 pence per litre for diesel.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Shell on Marylebone Road was showing 1.59 for diesel today.
The same garage this morning was showing a large 1 and then a small 7. I’m guessing £1.70 a litre?

CD

Local Esso station which last week was charging £146.9 for unleaded, is today £164.9.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At 05.55 this morning when, on my way to work, I walked past the petrol station that’s near my house, it was 149.9p / litre, and when I walked past the same petrol station this evening at 20.10 on my way home from work, it had gone up to 150.9p / litre.

DelayRepay

Established Member
When I went to Asda yesterday (for shopping, didn't need fuel) I think diesel was £1.52. The BP garage I passed on the way home was £1.60.

There was a long queue at Asda, reminded me a bit of the issues we had back last Autumn. BP wasn't busy. I read on Facebook that the local Tesco garage ran out of diesel over the weekend.

While we're not seeing panic buying as such, I think people are trying to keep their tanks full knowing prices are only going in one direction...

alxndr

Established Member
There's a Shell near me selling diesel at 179.9p/L (I didn't pay much attention to the petrol price as its of no interest to me).

Bizarrely its always been busy when I've passed even though there are significantly cheaper alternatives less than a mile down the road. The vehicles using it don't strike me as being either the cars of fuel snobs or business vehicles either, and I can't figure out why someone who just wants fuel would pay that price.

reddragon

Established Member
I've been driving an EV for 6 years now at 1p / mile so it was only when my wife came home complaining at pump prices I started looking.

Petrol is £1.57 to £1.61 and diesel £1.67 to £1.71. Wow, I remember 44p a gallon!

So glad I switched.

LowLevel

Established Member
I drive a very modest 1 litre car with a 35 litre tank - it now costs the wrong side of 50 quid to fill it up. Unfortunately as a train guard opportunities to get the train to work are a bit limited but where possible a 1.25 mile walk to the station with all my stuff for a free train ride (I understand how lucky I am that that is the case!) is definitely my preference wherever possible.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Esso in Tidworth at 161.9p a litre [Diesel was 169.9 a litre] this afternoon.

Texaco at Weyhill was 156.9 a litre for petrol yesterday when I passed on the way home (wish I pulled in to fill up, as that one tends to be one of the cheapest in this area)

Hopefully a 3% cashback via Lloyds bank works out to reduce the cost down a bit.

No doubt there will be some users of electric cars who are laughing at the price of fuel, until the time comes they have to pay to charge their car up at home when the electric prices are hiked (and those "free" charging points either get switched off or turned into chargeable points due to the cost of electricity)

reddragon

Established Member
No doubt there will be some users of electric cars who are laughing at the price of fuel, until the time comes they have to pay to charge their car up at home when the electric prices are hiked (and those "free" charging points either get switched off or turned into chargeable points due to the cost of electricity)
I am laughing my head off charging up off the solar, or my 5p night rate oh yes! My wife of course is not a happy bunny having just paid £1.60 / litre.

I've just fixed my electric price for when my deal ends at 2p/kw wholesale for 25 years. Wind rules!

dk1

Veteran Member
I am laughing my head off charging up off the solar, or my 5p night rate oh yes! My wife of course is not a happy bunny having just paid £1.60 / litre.

I've just fixed my electric price for when my deal ends at 2p/kw wholesale for 25 years. Wind rules!
So glad i manage to fill up only every 6-8wks. Must be so annoying.

Shrop

On Moderation
Hmm, as it stands, it looks like electricity prices will be going up by around 50% very soon. In fact some companies are apparently scrapping cheap off peak rates, which means the off peak price increase will be more like 200%.
That equates to petrol prices going up to around £2.10 per litre for a 50% increase, or a great deal more if you compare it to off peak electric price rises.
So under no circumstances does it look like electric car owners will be laughing about their relative price changes unless they were lucky enough to have recently secured a fixed rate.

dk1

Veteran Member
Until recently looking at the price before filling up has never been a thing in all my 35 years behind the wheel. Wouldn’t stop or deter me it’s just curiosity.

deltic

Established Member
Hopefully the increasing price will encourage more people to dump their SUVs

seagull

Must be nice having free solar panels. Most of us can't get that deal.

brad465

Established Member
Yes the go-to solution seems to be "extract more oil", even though, green issues aside, that will take too long to alleviate the current problems; a far quicker and as effective solution is to reduce consumption as much as possible, chiefly through driving less.

Shrop

On Moderation
Nice thought. Trouble is, many car manufacturers are going with the idea that SUVs are what people want, so much so that they're providing better and more efficient engines for them than they are for smaller or more "conventional" sized cars. Flies in the face of being environmentally friendly, but that's modern life.

Forty29

Always been fortunate in Bicester to have cheap petrol , week last Saturday Tesco's still £141.9 filled up tank, going back tomorrow to refill and see how much it has increased heard still only £145.9 so shall see. Petrol station a few miles away towards motorway junction was £168.9 this morning, must be the motorway price, which is a Moto. Heard they are reducing prices by 10p a litre as a trial at three sites before introducing it at all there service stations.
Yes my car doesn't like E10 when cold!
All prices above unleaded.

deltic

Established Member
It looks like we could be heading for a rerun of the 1973 oil crisis with high fuel prices and rationing