• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
so spare a thought for these "unfortunate" friends of ours across the Atlantic who have never yet paid even £1.00 per litre for their petrol.

They are now - average price in California is £1.09 per litre ($5.44 / US Gallon)
Definitely appears to be some unscrupulous money-making going on too: my nearest Tesco fuel station which has a once-weekly delivery has put the prices up by 1-2p every single day for the last week. So not tied to the cost of the delivery but rather based on what they can get away with charging, it seems.

They are businesses. If you were selling something and could get a higher price for it, so would you!

As an aside -the wholesale price for electicity today has generally been in the £400-£500 per MWh range. This is compared to £40 MWh just over a year ago. And this despite today (I think) breaking records for renewable energy - 23GW by wind and solar in the middle of the day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
But you can buy a share in a wind turbine from Ripple Energy and get you power at 2p / kw wholesale provided via a supplier for 25 years.

You can but from £25 up to 120% of your energy usage. Cheaper than solar & transportable.

Never heard of them before

I read your post

Switch to Facebook. Guess what the first advert is for?

#bigbrotheriswatching...

Shrop

On Moderation
They are now - average price in California is £1.09 per litre ($5.44 / US Gallon)
Then I've learned something! Not that many people in the UK would complain at paying £1.09 per litre!

Cloud Strife

Established Member
The złoty has tanked, so while it's now around 6.99PLN/litre for unleaded, it's still only £1.19 in practice.

ABB125

Established Member
In the 16 or so hours since I last walked past, the price for both fuels at Esso Selly Oak has gone up by another 5p. Now 178.9 for diesel.
Good job I don't currently have a car up here with me!

IMG_20220310_042802564.jpg

Snow1964

Established Member
Yesterday evening our local Morrisons was selling E10 at £151.9, but the E5 97ron (which gives about 8-11% better mpg) was only 6p/ litre more at £157.9, so I filled with premium

But a number of others petrol stations now crept upto £159.9 for unleaded

DelayRepay

Established Member
Here's some good news:

Oil prices have plunged after the United Arab Emirates said it supported increasing production.
Brent crude, an international benchmark, fell more than 17% at one point after the statement by the UAE, a member of the powerful oil cartel Opec.
The fall follows weeks of skyrocketing oil prices due to supply disruptions sparked by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
The rising prices have put a financial squeeze on families around the world.
President Joe Biden and other leaders have pledged to try to ease the price pressures for households. Officials from the US have been in talks with oil producers aimed at boosting supply.
"We favour production increases and will be encouraging Opec to consider higher production levels," Ambassador Yousuf Al Otaiba said in a statement tweeted by the UAE Embassy in Washington.
Energy prices have been soaring for more than a year amid a rapid rebound in demand for oil, which had collapsed during the pandemic.

Call me a cynic but I suspect it will take longer for any price fall to be reflected on the forecourts than it did for the price increases to filter through!

adc82140

Established Member
Ireland is temporarily reducing its tax on fuel to offset the price increases. I doubt that will happen here.

reddragon

Established Member
Ireland is temporarily reducing its tax on fuel to offset the price increases. I doubt that will happen here.
We need to end our reliance on oil sourced from unreliable countries, the whole reason we are currently suffering such price hikes. Cutting duties will not help anyone as those taxes will move elsewhere less savoury.

Gloster

Established Member
One petrol station on the Isle of Wight is reported in the County Press as selling diesel at over £2 a litre. It does seem to be a station that normally charges high prices.

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
I think that particular garage is taking the piss.
It certainly seems that way. I keep meaning to check Sainsbury's price, but that's far more effort since I don't regularly walk past it! (And the petrol station is at the far end of the car park, so not in the way to the shop.)

RichJF

Petrol is hovering in the low 1.50ish around my area, but we seem to be about 2-3 wks behind the rest of the SE in terms of petrol pricing.

I've taken the decision to sell of my motorbike & save the money to bunker myself financially. For the first time in 10 years of being a two wheel rider it's no longer cost effective to run a cheap, tiny hatchback & low CC motorbike.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Unleaded up by 12p per litre since last weekend at Sainsbury, Penzance, to 156.9, but 5p cheaper at Tesco (for now!)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
BP / Shell filling stations near the Mottram end of the M67 motorway (Eastern end) today both charging 164.9 pence per litre for petrol and 179.9 pence per litre for diesel.

Not that surprisingly, they didn't seem all that busy! :rolleyes:

alxndr

Established Member
Price has gone up in the expensive Shell in Swindon since I went past at 5.30 this morning.

Now unleaded 167.9 p/L, diesel 182.9 p/L (was 179.9 p/L this morning).

Tesco was 154 this morning I think, certainly below 160.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Saw a couple of Shell garages charging 179.9p/litre for diesel last night. Surely you'd have to be really desperate to pay that?

ChrisC

Established Member
Saw a couple of Shell garages charging 179.9p/litre for diesel last night. Surely you'd have to be really desperate to pay that?
My local Esso garage, small garage in a rural area, was charging 157.9p for unleaded and 167.9p for diesel yesterday. For a small garage in a village, not on a main road, they have always remained fairly competitive. Interestingly the BP garage on a main road about 3 miles away was also charging 157.9p for unleaded but 173.9p for diesel yesterday. I try to support the small village garage as there are not many small garages of this type left these days.

Last edited:

seagull

An acquaintance of mine near Glasgow told me diesel had reached £2.00 a litre there, perhaps that was just one very isolated example but that's certainly a huge jump from a month or two ago.

ABB125

Established Member
In the latest update regarding the gripping story of Esso Selly Oak (:D), diesel has gone down 6p (172.9), but petrol is still the same price (165.9).

IMG_20220311_174815468.jpg

DelayRepay

Established Member
Are people seeing more queues at petrol stations? It's not like it was when we had the 'pingdemic' driven issues last year, but I have noticed longer queues than usual. I guess people are filling up more frequently because they know today's prices, whilst very high, are lower than tomorrow's prices.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Are people seeing more queues at petrol stations? It's not like it was when we had the 'pingdemic' driven issues last year, but I have noticed longer queues than usual. I guess people are filling up more frequently because they know today's prices, whilst very high, are lower than tomorrow's prices.
I've not really noticed a huge increase in queues when passing a station (there were some spikes when Russia first invaded, not helped by the local press and Facebook talking about more panic buying) but I guess that while you might top up to beat a price rise, the higher pricing now is likely putting many people off entirely.

If we get to £1.80-2 a litre for any length of time, it might just get people to drive less (helped by nicer weather and longer days coming) than stockpile. The cost of living increases that hit next month might also stop people deciding to hoard fuel.

Time will tell I guess.

Silver Cobra

The scariest price I've seen so far for diesel around where I live is a BP station at the south end of Biggleswade, where as of yesterday they were charging 188.9p per litre. Petrol was a more reserved but still expensive 165.9p per litre.

alxndr

Established Member
The really expensive one by me has come down from 182.9 to 177.9 for diesel today.