• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photo card for a weekly rail ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew bryce

I have been buying a weekly rail ticket for like 15 years. Lost photo card years ago and never got it replaced as never knew you actually needed one. I have shown my weekly ticket to inspectors countless times and never had a problem.

Tonight at London bridge one inspector decided he was gonna be that guy. He told me my ticket was not valid and the photo card gives me discount. I said this is not true at all. It's the same standard price, I asked why has no inspector ever told me I need photo card over the last 15 years. If it's so important. Why has nobody pulled me up before.

Guy wouldn't budge and now I expect to see a letter come to my door issuing a fine. I honestly don't think I have done anything wrong. My ticket is valid. I haven't tried cheating the system for a cheaper ticket. I know I won't win the appeal. South eastern trains are horrible people.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Your ticket isn't valid. How are you obtaining the season ticket which requires the input of a photocard number without having one in your possession?

There was a short period about 6 years ago where photocards for weekly season tickets were removed and they were reinstated not long after due to passengers fraudulently passing them amongst themselves.

'That guy' is doing his job correctly regardless of what others may or may not have done and you are in the wrong, I'm afraid.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I have been buying a weekly rail ticket for like 15 years. Lost photo card years ago and never got it replaced as never knew you actually needed one. I have shown my weekly ticket to inspectors countless times and never had a problem.

Tonight at London bridge one inspector decided he was gonna be that guy. He told me my ticket was not valid and the photo card gives me discount. I said this is not true at all. It's the same standard price, I said why has no inspector ever told me I need photo card over the last 15 years.

Guy wouldn't budge and now I expect to see a letter come to my door issuing a fine. I honestly don't think I have done anything wrong. My ticket is valid. I haven't tried cheating the system for a cheaper ticket. I know I won't win the appeal.
Really this ought to be in the Disputes & Prosecutions section, but here's my view.

Have you received a Penalty Fare? If so, you might want to consider paying it. I wouldn't normally suggest this - but in this particular case, paying the Penalty Fare, and then promptly rectifying the situation by getting a new photocard, is probably going to be the least stressful resolution, by far.

He told me my ticket was not valid
This is true - you need a photocard with virtually all season tickets. Without the photocard your ticket is not valid, as it is not transferable (i.e. it's only valid for use by you) and otherwise you might easily be able to share it.

the photo card gives me discount.
The photocard doesn't give you a discount - it merely entitles you to hold and use the season ticket.

I said this is not true at all.
The ticket inspector was right about your ticket not being valid without the photocard, but he was wrong about it "giving you the discount".

It's the same standard price
The fact that the price is not changed by the presence, or lack, of the photocard, is neither here nor there.

now I expect to see a letter come to my door issuing a fine.
Train companies are not a Court so they cannot impose any fine. Any Penalty Fare issued is given on-the-spot. If you don't get a Penalty Fare then it's more likely you'll receive a letter where they ask for your version of events, possibly with an offer of out of Court settlement enclosed (perhaps in a subsequent letter).

I honestly don't think I have done anything wrong.
Morally, I don't think you've done anything wrong. But that's, again, neither here nor there. What matters is whether you are in the wrong in the eyes of the law.

I haven't tried cheating the system for a cheaper ticket.
That may well be the case - but it is virtually impossible for the train company to know you are telling the truth. For all they know you could be one of several one/two day a week commuters who shares that season ticket. They have no way of identifying that you're the person the season ticket was issued to without the photocard.

I know I won't win the appeal.
You may or may not win an appeal for a Penalty Fare. However, in many respects this is immaterial - a Penalty Fare is a form of out of Court settlement if you like, and if the train company doesn't like the fact that an appeal has succeeded, they can still take you to Court (whether or not they actually have a case).

Whether or not, strictly speaking, you have done anything wrong (or rather, whether you are liable in any way for any wrongdoiny) is debatable really - whilst it may be the case that any Penalty Fare you have been given is enforceable, it is unheard of for train companies to take people to County Court for unpaid Penalty Fares. Instead, they would generally pursue the matter as a private (criminal) prosecution in the Magistrates' Court.

There are two relevant laws you should be aware of here. The first is Railway Byelaw 18. This purports to make it an offence to board a train without a valid ticket, or to fail to hand over a ticket once onboard or having travelled, where you have had an opportunity to buy a ticket before boarding. I say "purports" because I personally am in no doubt that there are a variety of technical and legal reasons why the Byelaw is itself unlawful. Whether or not you'd want to defend any Byelaw prosecution on that basis is something only you can decide - there are plenty of recent threads in the D&P section which mention this matter. But if you don't want to raise a defence under this element of unlawfulness then I don't see any other defence - a season ticket is unquestionably invalid without the photocard and whether or not you knew that is immaterial. The only saving grace would be if you couldn't have bought a ticket at your boarding station but this seems very unlikely to me.

The other relevant law is Section 5(3)(a) of the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 (known as RoRA). This makes it an offence to fail to pay the fare due when travelling by the railway, if you have intent to avoid payment of the correct fare. If you were to be prosecuted under RoRA it is a more serious issue, as this carries an unspent criminal conviction for one year, which a Byelaw conviction wouldn't. However it would also be harder to prove - as, it you genuinely didn't know you needed a photocard (this is something which others may not believe you on though), and if there was no pecuniary advantage to what you did, there would be no offence committed.

(Arguably, even if there is an intent to avoid payment of the fare, that would not constitute an offence here since the correct fare has undoubtedly been paid - it is just that the entitlement to travel could not be proven at the time of inspection.)

It is not clear what train company is involved, and equally it is not clear whether you have been issued with a Penalty Fare or have instead had your details taken for consideration for prosecution. But one thing is clear - this is not something that will simply go away by itself, and though you may have been innocent and unwitting in what you did, it will cause you a considerable amount of hassle in the near future.

andrew bryce

Your ticket isn't valid. How are you obtaining the season ticket which requires the input of a photocard number without having one in your possession?

There was a short period about 6 years ago where photocards for weekly season tickets were removed and they were reinstated not long after due to passengers fraudulently passing them amongst themselves.

'That guy' is doing his job correctly regardless of what others may or may not have done and you are in the wrong, I'm afraid.

I buy my ticket from the machine. Just enter any number for photo id as never realised it was something you actually had to have as it's just a weekly ticket.

andrew bryce

Really this ought to be in the Disputes & Prosecutions section, but here's my view.

Have you received a Penalty Fare? If so, you might want to consider paying it. I wouldn't normally suggest this - but in this particular case, paying the Penalty Fare, and then promptly rectifying the situation by getting a new photocard, is probably going to be the least stressful resolution, by far.

This is true - you need a photocard with virtually all season tickets. Without the photocard your ticket is not valid, as it is not transferable (i.e. it's only valid for use by you) and otherwise you might easily be able to share it.

The photocard doesn't give you a discount - it merely entitles you to hold and use the season ticket.

The ticket inspector was right about your ticket not being valid without the photocard, but he was wrong about it "giving you the discount".

The fact that the price is not changed by the presence, or lack, of the photocard, is neither here nor there.

Train companies are not a Court so they cannot impose any fine. Any Penalty Fare issued is given on-the-spot. If you don't get a Penalty Fare then it's more likely you'll receive a letter where they ask for your version of events, possibly with an offer of out of Court settlement enclosed (perhaps in a subsequent letter).

Morally, I don't think you've done anything wrong. But that's, again, neither here nor there. What matters is whether you are in the wrong in the eyes of the law.

That may well be the case - but it is virtually impossible for the train company to know you are telling the truth. For all they know you could be one of several one/two day a week commuters who shares that season ticket. They have no way of identifying that you're the person the season ticket was issued to without the photocard.

You may or may not win an appeal for a Penalty Fare. However, in many respects this is immaterial - a Penalty Fare is a form of out of Court settlement if you like, and if the train company doesn't like the fact that an appeal has succeeded, they can still take you to Court (whether or not they actually have a case).

Whether or not, strictly speaking, you have done anything wrong (or rather, whether you are liable in any way for any wrongdoiny) is debatable really - whilst it may be the case that any Penalty Fare you have been given is enforceable, it is unheard of for train companies to take people to County Court for unpaid Penalty Fares. Instead, they would generally pursue the matter as a private (criminal) prosecution in the Magistrates' Court.

There are two relevant laws you should be aware of here. The first is Railway Byelaw 18. This purports to make it an offence to board a train without a valid ticket, or to fail to hand over a ticket once onboard or having travelled, where you have had an opportunity to buy a ticket before boarding. I say "purports" because I personally am in no doubt that there are a variety of technical and legal reasons why the Byelaw is itself unlawful. Whether or not you'd want to defend any Byelaw prosecution on that basis is something only you can decide - there are plenty of recent threads in the D&P section which mention this matter. But if you don't want to raise a defence under this element of unlawfulness then I don't see any other defence - a season ticket is unquestionably invalid without the photocard and whether or not you knew that is immaterial. The only saving grace would be if you couldn't have bought a ticket at your boarding station but this seems very unlikely to me.

The other relevant law is Section 5(3)(a) of the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 (known as RoRA). This makes it an offence to fail to pay the fare due when travelling by the railway, if you have intent to avoid payment of the correct fare. If you were to be prosecuted under RoRA it is a more serious issue, as this carries an unspent criminal conviction for one year, which a Byelaw conviction wouldn't. However it would also be harder to prove - as, it you genuinely didn't know you needed a photocard (this is something which others may not believe you on though), and if there was no pecuniary advantage to what you did, there would be no offence committed.

(Arguably, even if there is an intent to avoid payment of the fare, that would not constitute an offence here since the correct fare has undoubtedly been paid - it is just that the entitlement to travel could not be proven at the time of inspection.)

It is not clear what train company is involved, and equally it is not clear whether you have been issued with a Penalty Fare or have instead had your details taken for consideration for prosecution. But one thing is clear - this is not something that will simply go away by itself, and though you may have been innocent and unwitting in what you did, it will cause you a considerable amount of hassle in the near future.

Apologies for putting this in wrong thread. Many thanks for your very detailed response.

Also I wasn't issued with a penalty fare. I was told I would receive a letter and he took my ticket from me.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Apologies for putting this in wrong thread. Many thanks for your very detailed response.

Also I wasn't issued with a penalty fare. I was told I would receive a letter and he took my ticket from me.
No problem - I have reported it so that the moderators can move it over.

_toommm_

Established Member
I buy my ticket from the machine. Just enter any number for photo id as never realised it was something you actually had to have as it's just a weekly ticket.

So the ticket machine asked you to put a number in for a photocard, and you proceeded to input any random numbers?

With all due respect you've brought this upon yourself if you know in the past you've had to have a photocard.

Go to a ticket office and get a photocard. They're free. Saves you a load of hassle.

Clip

Established Member
So the ticket machine asked you to put a number in for a photocard, and you proceeded to input any random numbers?

And in 15 years its never occured to him that by doing this they actually needed a photocard. One suspects that something is amiss here and the ticket is being used by 2 people but then again i am the suspicious type when i read about behaviors like this

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The ticket will also say ‘valid only with photocard’ on it.

K.o.R

Interestingly, neither my smartcard ticket nor the Gold Record Card that accompanies it make any mention of the Photocard number. It did in its paper form however.

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
So the guy who you said “decided he was going to be that guy” was doing his job.

The fact you say you had to input a photo ID number into the machine when you buy your weekly is the clue that your photo card is required for your ticket to be valid which would also be shown “only valid with valid photo card” on the ticket itself

You have no one to blame but yourself to be honest and “that guy” is only doing his job.

The part where he says the photo card is what gives you the discount where you questioned is possibly worded wrong. What I imagine the member of staff meant is the discount you are entitled to when you purchase a weekly ticket over say day returns.

You really can’t do anything until the letter arrives this can take anything from a few weeks to a few months.

kristiang85

Established Member
It was annoying when I started commuting I straight away applied for an SWR smartcard, and nowhere in the application or the bumph they sent me did it mention the need to have a photocard - I only found out when I tried to renew at a ticket office months later (though, like the OP, not once have I been asked for it). I did eventually get told it was in the smallprint in the Ts&Cs leaflet, but had I been asked for it and fined I wouldn't have been impressed. So in that respect I'm sympathetic.

But to be asked to input the number when buying a ticket and then putting in a false number and claiming effective ignorance isn't a great defence here. It is clear you have honestly paid the fare and not trying to cheat the system, but its on a similar level to, e.g. not validating a ticket on a French train even though you paid for it. Its just something that needs to be done to complete the validity of the ticket.

Although, saying that - it is such a minor offence you're just unlucky you got someone having a bad day who didn't just give you a warning and let you through. But technically he's not in the wrong, of course.

najaB

Veteran Member
Although, saying that - it is such a minor offence you're just unlucky you got someone having a bad day who didn't just give you a warning and let you through.
How do you know they were 'having a bad day'? The OP didn't have a valid ticket and it still wouldn't have been valid even if the inspector was having the best day of their life.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Interesting concept that having a bad day when your paying attention and doing your job properly.

Personally I'm suprised the OP has got away with it as long as they say they have.

vinnym70

Photocards. Interesting topic. I'm nearly 50 and I carry a BR photocard from 1988 when I'd just left school. To be fair, it's a GOD AWFUL picture. No-one would aspire to look like that in the world today but curiously enough, despite commuting every day since I got the photocard, the only person ever to comment was DLR and he just noted that that it was a bad picture and asked how old it was. It looks nothing like me. No one seems to care. If it became an issue I'd change it but I'm surprised that holding a ~£5000 annual season doesn't seem to get anyone slightly interested. And yes, unfortunately, I can provide photographic evidence that I really did look like that years ago :)

kristiang85

Established Member
How do you know they were 'having a bad day'? The OP didn't have a valid ticket and it still wouldn't have been valid even if the inspector was having the best day of their life.

I didn't say it was wrong that he stopped him at all. I'm just making the observation that we've all have had experiences where you've forgotten a railcard or even got the wrong train, and be let off if you've obviously made an honest mistake. Its happened to me a few times over the last 15 years of rail travel, and not once have I been given a penalty. I always assume its because the checker was in a good mood, was nice, or had a good impression of me, or a combo of all three.

furlong

Established Member
Well, what you could do is go back to the machine where you purchased the ticket and (easy if you have a smartphone) make a short video or take photos of the complete process of selecting and making this purchase (until you get to the point where you have to pay). Look at how it explains (or doesn't) the requirement to hold a photocard bearing the likeness of the ticket user and that the number you enter must be the one used and presented with the ticket, and any other terms and conditions it tells you. Then ask yourself - with an open mind - whether or not your belief that entering anything when it asks you for the photocard number was reasonable (and what the enforceable contractual terms might be). (If the company looks up the photocard number you used and finds a match in its database it might wonder whether there's any connection with you and possible sharing of the ticket.)

philthetube

Established Member
Well, what you could do is go back to the machine where you purchased the ticket and (easy if you have a smartphone) make a short video or take photos of the complete process of selecting and making this purchase (until you get to the point where you have to pay). Look at how it explains (or doesn't) the requirement to hold a photocard bearing the likeness of the ticket user and that the number you enter must be the one used and presented with the ticket, and any other terms and conditions it tells you. Then ask yourself - with an open mind - whether or not your belief that entering anything when it asks you for the photocard number was reasonable (and what the enforceable contractual terms might be). (If the company looks up the photocard number you used and finds a match in its database it might wonder whether there's any connection with you and possible sharing of the ticket.)
Still pay a penalty fare if you get one though and then appeal it if you want.

boxy321

I was told before getting my monthly DD season ticket the importance of writing the photocard number on both parts. Otherwise friends and family could have used it for shopping, theatre trips, Xmas markets, pub crawls etc. when I wasn't using it.

I'd settle with as little fuss as possible and move on.

nuts & bolts

Photocards. Interesting topic. I'm nearly 50 and I carry a BR photocard from 1988 when I'd just left school. To be fair, it's a GOD AWFUL picture. No-one would aspire to look like that in the world today but curiously enough, despite commuting every day since I got the photocard, the only person ever to comment was DLR and he just noted that that it was a bad picture and asked how old it was. It looks nothing like me. No one seems to care. If it became an issue I'd change it but I'm surprised that holding a ~£5000 annual season doesn't seem to get anyone slightly interested. And yes, unfortunately, I can provide photographic evidence that I really did look like that years ago :)
It’s quite easy to update your photo card, just supply a recent passport photo when you renew your season ticket or at any convenient time just pop into ticket office.

daveshah

Not sure what the actual rules are, I had no problem using a photo I printed at home for a photo card though.

Bensonby

Has it always been necessary to have a photo card with a weekly ticket? I’m pretty sure I used to but weekly travel cards when commuting for a short holiday job I had whilst at university circa 2005-2008 and didn’t need one.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think TfL scrapped the need for photo cards with weekly Travelcards some time on the early 2000s (before the mass move to Oyster) but iirc it was reintroduced at some point.

AFAIK photocard have always been required for a National Eail issued weekly

Status
Not open for further replies.