• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plymouth shooting incident - 12/08/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Anyone know what’s gone on?

[Edit 20:38] Unconfirmed reports of shootings and stabbings.

From Sky News (21:51)
https://news.sky.com/story/significant-ambulance-response-deployed-to-incident-in-plymouth-12379946
There have been a "number of fatalities" and "several" other casualties are receiving treatment following a "serious firearms incident" in Plymouth, Devon and Cornwall police say.

A shooter involved in the incident has been shot and is believed to be dead, Sky News' Mark White has been told.

It is not being treated as terror-related and the incident, in Biddick Drive, in the Keyham area of the city, has been contained, police added.

The force said a critical incident had been declared and the area cordoned off.

Devon and Cornwall Police said: "Police were called to a serious firearms incident in Biddick Drive, in the Keyham area of Plymouth at around 6.10pm today.

"Officers and ambulance staff attended. There have been a number of fatalities at the scene and several other casualties are receiving treatment.

"A critical incident has been declared. The area has been cordoned off and police believe the situation is contained."

Home secretary Priti Patel tweeted: "The incident in Plymouth is shocking and my thoughts are with those affected.

"I have spoken to the Chief Constable and offered my full support.

"I urge everyone to remain calm, follow police advice and allow our emergency services to get on with their jobs."
Plymouth Sutton and Devonport MP Luke Pollard said it was "a very grim day for our city and our community".

The Labour frontbencher said he was "awaiting confirmation" of the number of victims.

Plymouth Moor View MP Johnny Mercer also said on Twitter that the incident is "not terror related", adding that the suspect involved is "not on the run".
In an earlier tweet he added: "Please obey all instructions from the police and do not post rumour or speculation on social media."

South Western Ambulance Service said "Hazardous Area Response Teams (HART), multiple ambulances, air ambulances, multiple doctors and senior paramedics" were all sent to the scene of an ongoing incident at 6.12pm.
Multiple police vehicles have been seen in the area.

Devon and Cornwall Police have been contacted for more information.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone know what’s gone on?

[Edit 20:38] Unconfirmed reports of shootings and stabbings.

Very little detail so far but it doesn’t sound at all good.

People are being asked to stay inside and follow police advice as the emergency services respond to a serious incident in Plymouth.
Local MP Luke Pollard tweeted: "Really worrying news coming out of Keyham."
He said: "Please can everyone stay safe, stay indoors and follow police advice."
The ambulance service said it was called at 18:12 BST and has sent "a significant number of resources" to the scene.

Bantamzen

Established Member
There are a lot of people on Twitter asking people not to share images or videos of the incident, so it sounds really terrible. I did think that one of the big news channels would have more details but only Sky seem to be reporting fatalities whilst the BBC News Channel seems to be ignoring it at the moment.

Edit: Sky now reporting that it was a shooting incident, and that the suspected shooter has been shot dead, though it's not clear if this was a response by the Police or self-inficlted by the suspect.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are a lot of people on Twitter asking people not to share images or videos of the incident, so it sounds really terrible. I did think that one of the big news channels would have more details but only Sky seem to be reporting fatalities whilst the BBC News Channel seems to be ignoring it at the moment.

It was just mentioned on Radio 6, but still very little detail considering that this started nearly four hours ago.
I have a feeling that the details when they do come out may be rather distressing.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It was just mentioned on Radio 6, but still very little detail considering that this started nearly four hours ago.
I have a feeling that the details when they do come out may be rather distressing.
There might be more with the news at 10 on BBC1, but the news channel is not attempting to cover it, not even in the summaries.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Biddick Drive in Keyham was apparently the scene of these appalling events.

brad465

Established Member
There might be more with the news at 10 on BBC1, but the news channel is not attempting to cover it, not even in the summaries.
It's not the headline story on news at 10: that's the situation in Afghanistan, where this incident appears to be next in line to be covered.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
From Reuters…

Aug 12 (Reuters) - A number of people have been killed in a serious firearms incident in Plymouth, southwest England, on Thursday evening, police said, adding that they believed the situation was contained.
Media reports said five or six people had been killed in the incident and a gunman reportedly shot dead by police. Police did not confirm the number of fatalities.
This looks horrendous.

Peter C

Established Member
It's not the headline story on news at 10: that's the situation in Afghanistan, where this incident appears to be next in line to be covered.
This incident was indeed covered next on the News at Ten following the story about Afghanistan: I expect there'll be breaking news updates on the BBC News Channel on the news following at 2230 (as happened on the news from 2100 to 2200).

-Peter

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I don't know Keyham too well being ex-Plymstock (6-8 miles away) however this is tragic so close to my former home. R.I.P to the deceased and condolences to friends and family thereof.

MattA7

Dailymail are reporting Several of the shooter's relatives including his mother and members of the public were believed to have been killed with witnesses claiming a toddler is among the dead the shooter is believed to have died from a self inflicted gunshot wound.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Terrible and distressing incident. Such a waste of life.

BBC summery so far:

BBC:
Following Chief Constable Shaun Sawyer's press conference we now know:

Jake Davison, 22, was confirmed as the gunman
His first victim was at a house in Biddick Drive, followed by four others in the surrounding area
One was a "very young girl" and her male relative
Two other people are being treated in hospital for gunshot wounds
Davison held a firearms licence, but police would not confirm if this was the gun used
Officers arrived on the scene within six minutes of reports and Davison had killed himself before armed police arrived
Terrorism is not being considered the motive for the shooting
Police believe it to be a domestic incident which "spilled into the streets"

and some worrying details, in particular about comments relating to incels:

In videos posted online weeks before the shooting – and since removed by YouTube – the Plymouth gunman Jake Davison spoke of being “beaten down” and “defeated by life”, but compared himself to the Terminator.

He said he was socially isolated, struggled to meet women and made references to “incels” – the misogynistic online groups of “involuntary celibate” men, who blame women for their sexual failings and who have been linked to a number of violent acts around the world.

Signing off on the 11-minute video, which appears to be the last he posted, Davison said: "I know it's a movie but I like to think sometimes I'm the Terminator or something. Despite reaching almost total system failure he keeps trying to accomplish his mission."

backontrack

Established Member
and some worrying details, in particular about comments relating to incels:

Sounds as though Johnny Mercer was wrong to say this act wasn't terror-related. This man was clearly politically radicalised.

What a nauseating and horrific event. Distressing to think he kicked a house's door down and fired inside, at a time when people were being advised to stay in their homes - where can you actually shelter, in a situation like that? This is so messed up.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Incel is not a political ideology. It’s simply distilled misogyny and this should be classified as a hate crime against women, which is what it is.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Incel is not a political ideology. It’s simply distilled misogyny and this should be classified as a hate crime against women, which is what it is.
Yes and no. It can become part of a political or religious ideology if adopted by a sufficient number of men (and it can only be men, in effect) especially if the vast majority of those embracing it happen to be white and broadly within the old definition of the working classes. The Far Right has always attracted such people, whose resentful and hateful attitudes to everyone and everything around them will so often lead to violence at some stage. Other than the 'leaders', who may or may not have some perverted intelligence and certainly aren't short of cunning, their lack of brainpower is their defining characteristic and gets to be exhibited in the most abhorrent way on occasions like this.

Davison's holding of a firearms licence is concerning, especially in light of his recent pronouncements on social media. Devon and Cornwall police have many questions to answer.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes and no. It can become part of a political or religious ideology if adopted by a sufficient number of men (and it can only be men, in effect) especially if the vast majority of those embracing it happen to be white and broadly within the old definition of the working classes. The Far Right has always attracted such people, whose resentful and hateful attitudes to everyone and everything around them will so often lead to violence at some stage. Other than the 'leaders', who may or may not have some perverted intelligence and certainly aren't short of cunning, their lack of brainpower is their defining characteristic and gets to be exhibited in the most abhorrent way on occasions like this.

Davison's holding of a firearms licence is concerning, especially in light of his recent pronouncements on social media. Devon and Cornwall police have many questions to answer.
Are you aware of any of the shooter’s political demands?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Proud Boys seem pretty political. They're now linked in this post Trump World. I think definitions need to change to reflect that.
Sorry, how is this linked to the shooter’s political demands? I’m asking why people are demanding this be treated as a case of terrorism as opposed to a mass murder with fairly pronounced misogyny as an aggravating factor.

BrokenSam

Sorry, how is this linked to the shooter’s political demands? I’m asking why people are demanding this be treated as a case of terrorism as opposed to a mass murder with fairly pronounced misogyny as an aggravating factor.
I'm telling you that misogyny and politics go hand in hand. Nothing more. Chill your beans.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I don't see how people can say the incel ideology is not political. They want a return to a (mythical) time when men gave the orders and women obeyed.

It is terrorism pure and simple. Though as the shooter is white it won't be called that of course.

Bayum

Established Member
I don't see how people can say the incel ideology is not political. They want a return to a (mythical) time when men gave the orders and women obeyed.

It is terrorism pure and simple. Though as the shooter is white it won't be called that of course.
The Handmaid’s Tale is just that don’t forget…

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Do you think the killing of his own mother and subsequent suicide was meant as a political act, as a way of furthering his personal political ideology, or, conversely, an act of finality, misogyny and self-loathing which was little more than pure nihilism?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Do you think the killing of his own mother and subsequent suicide was meant as a political act, as a way of furthering his personal political ideology, or, conversely, an act of finality, misogyny and self-loathing which was little more than pure nihilism?
Terrorists never commit suicide do they?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Terrorists never commit suicide do they?
That’s not the point, is it? Was the shooter plugged into a wider ideology and his acts intended to terrorise people into complicity with his ideology or a wider political agenda, or are incels mostly self-absorbed and self-pitiable nihilists?

What are the political demands of incels? They don’t have any. They’re sad, weak men who have always existed by type and only by virtue of message boards are they considered some sort of homogenous group, no?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Try reading about the black pill stuff. While there is an element of nihilism and self-hatred i think its a mistake to not consider the bigger picture.

This is the key bit

"Black pill ideology is an extreme and fatalistic faction of incel culture that dehumanises women and advocates male supremacy."

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Try reading about the black pill stuff. While there is an element of nihilism and self-hatred i think its a mistake to not consider the bigger picture.

This is the key bit

"Black pill ideology is an extreme and fatalistic faction of incel culture that dehumanises women and advocates male supremacy."
I’ve been following this sort of thing for a while. Blackpill stuff is essentially complete hopelessness and nihilism, the belief that incels are victims of fate, and that no meaningful change will be of help.

I’d say a blackpill movement of total nihilism - by definition - could never be terrorism, which must have some sort of political objective. Jonestown wasn’t terrorism, for example. It was a cultist mass murder.

Things can be very bad, and need urgent action, without being terrorism.

Status
Not open for further replies.