• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcast: Signals to Danger - Railway disasters in the UK

tpfx89

One thing I wondered about, is there still a version of rule 55 on the books today?
It exists in a way, rather differently, the rulebook includes the following;

"When your train is detained on a running line at a signal at danger, or without a movement authority (MA), you must contact the signaller as soon as possible.
However, you may wait for up to two minutes before contacting the signaller if you can see an obvious reason for the signal being at danger, or not having an MA[,] such as:
• the section ahead being occupied by a train
• a conflicting movement being made."

They don't have to leave the cab and go to the box mind, GSMR has an "SG" button which sends a message to the controlling signaller that there's a train waiting at the signal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eyersey468

Established Member
It exists in a way, rather differently, the rulebook includes the following;

"When your train is detained on a running line at a signal at danger, or without a movement authority (MA), you must contact the signaller as soon as possible.
However, you may wait for up to two minutes before contacting the signaller if you can see an obvious reason for the signal being at danger, or not having an MA[,] such as:
• the section ahead being occupied by a train
• a conflicting movement being made."

They don't have to leave the cab and go to the box mind, GSMR has an "SG" button which sends a message to the controlling signaller that there's a train waiting at the signal.
Thank you, I thought there would no longer be a requirement to go to the box with a lot of the local boxes having gone.

Edit, incidentally I paid a visit to the site at Quintinshill in 2016 and the track layout didn't seem to have changed much in the previous 100 years though the signal box is long gone, I believe it was demolished in the 1970s

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@tpfx89 - Excellent episode. I think it was one of the best ones yet actually.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Eccles, Southall and Ladbroke Grove will all pop up this season plus a load of others
Excellent I look forward to hearing them. I'm not familiar with the crash at Eccles.

Edit, i've just googled it and turns out there were 2, one in 1941 and one in 1984

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
So, will this have more or less pronunciation twitches than Moreton on Lugg? ;)

tpfx89

The Signalman is a TV drama from 1976, with Denholm Eliot, based on a Dickens short story from 1866
was just on BBC4. It should be available here soon
I must admit I've been thinking about a Christmas special reading of this, possible coupled with an episode on Clayton Tunnel, thought to be the basis of the accident in the story.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I must admit I've been thinking about a Christmas special reading of this, possible coupled with an episode on Clayton Tunnel, thought to be the basis of the accident in the story.
I look forward to hearing it. A question if I may, of the various rail accidents in the series which did you find the most interesting to research?

Last edited:

tpfx89

I look forward to hearing it. A question if I may, of the various rail accidents in the series which did you find the most interesting to research?
Really difficult decision! I know I have a few favourites where I feel that the episodes turned out really well, but researching all of them has been fascinating. Some were a lot harder than others though!

Eyersey468

Established Member
I wonder whether the break up of BR contributed to the lessons learnt from Glanrhyd being forgotten

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another interesting episode to get absorbed in whilst at work. Thanks Dan.
I was waiting for the mother-in-law joke but you managed to hold off… ;)

tpfx89

Just wanted to drop a quick message in and pass across my thanks for your support, advice and feedback over the last year.

As a little Christmas treat I've contributed my own effort to the list of many retelling of "The Signalman". Two options if you wanted to enjoy, podcast episode is out now, or, if you fancied something a little different I livestreamed the recording of the episode too! That recording is available here!

Merry Christmas all, have a wonderful time and I'll see you all after!

Inversnecky

Merry Christmas, Dan, looking forward to the continuation of season 2.

The new mic does make a discernible difference, and will help those like me who tend to listen while in the car.

Inversnecky

Came across a newspaper article about today being the 115th anniversary of the Elliot Junction collision in Scotland, 1906.

tpfx89

Merry Christmas, Dan, looking forward to the continuation of season 2.

The new mic does make a discernible difference, and will help those like me who tend to listen while in the car.
I'm really glad to hear! You can't really tell if you spend so long listening to it while you're recording.

Incidently, season two continues today with Colwich Junction!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Inversnecky

Just listened to Colwich Junction the other night while making pizza, another great episode.

Strange that you mentioned it was released, yet it didn’t register on my podcasts for another four or five days. Does anyone else have this issue?

I must find a way to pin or favourite STD on my iPhone podcasts: I have dozens subscribed to, but lately this is the only one I have time for, and it would be nice to have it at the top of the list, instead of having to scroll down, and down…!

bspahh

Established Member
Just listened to Colwich Junction the other night while making pizza, another great episode.

Strange that you mentioned it was released, yet it didn’t register on my podcasts for another four or five days. Does anyone else have this issue?
From the RSS feed at https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1286207.rss the Colwich Junction it downloaded for me at 00.15 on Jan 11th. The feed said that it was published on Jan 10th

tpfx89

My tester for whether or not it's up and running is to check Spotify, it tends to update pretty quick. If you use Twitter a follow to @signalstodanger or @danielfoxrail will get you an update the second I publish a new one.

I've just checked Spotify for the new episode that was uploaded to Buzzsprout an hour ago and it's already up. If you ever struggle to find it it will be available here on the embedded player.

So, while I'm here, I might as well drop in a quick plug for episode 6 of season 2, covering the near-miss at Chalfont & Latimer in 2020!

Chalfont Main Cover-01.jpg

Inversnecky

Thanks Daniel. Still not appeared on my phone yet, but happy to see it when it appears in due course. I’m relistening to Rickerscote in the meantime.