• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcast: Signals to Danger - Railway disasters in the UK

Inversnecky

Great to see that you are back, Dan, and that some new episodes have been released. Sorry that that’s become so onerous.

I wonder if even an episode quarterly would fit in best with your hectic schedule? Something more manageable, yet which maintains a regular schedule?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Great to see that you are back, Dan, and that some new episodes have been released. Sorry that that’s become so onerous.

I wonder if even an episode quarterly would fit in best with your hectic schedule? Something more manageable, yet which maintains a regular schedule?
Excellent to hear of the new releases, I'll have to check them out. Thanks :)

tpfx89

I'd still like to make them more frequent, Christmas has been a little chaotic and work is still in the way but fingers crossed, I'm hoping to get the next one out sometime over next weekend. It's going to be covering Eccles and is currently around 2/3 written. Getting there but life seems to have a knack for throwing stuff at you!

malc-c

Looking forward to the next edition.

I remember watching a you tube video a few years back where the channel owner explaining his logic as to why he never monetised his channel. He stated he did the channel was for him, and as such owed no one anything and there was no pressure from any subscribers. The minute he offered patron options or made money from the subscribers / views he then became would become pressurised to turn out regular content to keep those people happy. In his words he would be owned by his subscribers / patron members. Not saying that's the case here, and I'm sure Dan's patron members support him and don't mind the now somewhat random release dates, but as Dan has mentioned, he does this in his free time and life gets in the way. It would be different if Dan was able to give up his day job and live comfortably off the income form Youtube / sponsors / patron etc making that his "profession", but at the moment until that happens all of us will just have to wait and be patient...

Inversnecky

I’ve just nearing end of episode 2 of Carmont, Dan, excellent episodes, and you do a great job of trying to describe on sound involved configurations, from the Colwich signalling sequence, to the ‘CPs’ of Carmont.

Given your passion for this subject, I actually wondered while listening if you wouldn’t fancy a career shift to the RAIB!

Drogba11CFC

Looking forward to it; out of interest, which accidents are the newsreaders in the intro describing? I think two of them were Clapham Junction and Lewisham.

tpfx89

Given your passion for this subject, I actually wondered while listening if you wouldn’t fancy a career shift to the RAIB!
For a while it's been one of the places I wouldn't mind my career ending up if I'm being honest. Maybe they need somebody to produce their public-facing report explanations?

tpfx89

Looking forward to it; out of interest, which accidents are the newsreaders in the intro describing? I think two of them were Clapham Junction and Lewisham.
I'm on the wrong laptop to double check what samples I included now, but I believe Clapham, Lewisham and Ladbroke Grove are all in there, LG being the description of flames outside the carriage.

Inversnecky

For a while it's been one of the places I wouldn't mind my career ending up if I'm being honest. Maybe they need somebody to produce their public-facing report explanations?
Indeed, Dan. Get in touch with them and offer your services. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Inversnecky

One for the list?

tpfx89

One for the list?

I shall indeed add it!

malc-c

Its a real shame that, for whatever reason (life ?) Dan hasn't published another episode of this fantastic podcast for some time. I too hope he is OK and the reasons behind this is not due to ill health, hoping that things change and Dan manages to continue with this series.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Its a real shame that, for whatever reason (life ?) Dan hasn't published another episode of this fantastic podcast for some time. I too hope he is OK and the reasons behind this is not due to ill health, hoping that things change and Dan manages to continue with this series.

Agreed. Though a number of podcasts I was listening to seem to have faded out or formally closed, as people have a lot less spare time now life is back to normal again. A number started up when people had more time during COVID.

malc-c

Listening to it now - Glad to have you back Dan....
Just noticed a typo in the description listed in Spotify, not sure if its replicated to other sources, but there is a digit missing form the date - reads "December 4th 194"

Production quality is great

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Great, I had given up on a resumption! I thought the three part epic on Carmont had been the final straw for Dan!

tpfx89

Grateful for the patience everyone and glad to be back in the swing of it again. Next episode is already uploaded and scheduled to publish and I'm already making good time on the script for the next one.

Headspace and energy over the last year has been a bit challenging and the day to day has taken up a lot of my drive, but I've finally managed to get into a place where I'm happy producing again, and not, in a way, sort of hiding from it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Grateful for the patience everyone and glad to be back in the swing of it again. Next episode is already uploaded and scheduled to publish and I'm already making good time on the script for the next one.

Headspace and energy over the last year has been a bit challenging and the day to day has taken up a lot of my drive, but I've finally managed to get into a place where I'm happy producing again, and not, in a way, sort of hiding from it.

Listened to it yesterday Dan, it was excellent and it’s good to see that you’re back.

tpfx89

Just to drop in an update in case people hadn't see it, we've had a few new episodes since Eccles now, all available where you get your podcasts...

We covered Ufton Nervert (2004) in an episode released September 15th - episode here
And then Singleton Bank (1961) near Poulton le Fylde released 29th - find it here

We've also released the first three of a new type of episode which are filling the gaps between main episodes, calling them "RAIB roundups", more of a current affairs type format where we look at what's been happening in the world of railway safety, new reports, incidents under investigation etc etc, and you'll find those on these links:

September 8th roundup
September 22nd roundup
October 6th roundup

Enjoy!

1694716756768-b40985491fcc050e4550392d8cbe996e.jpeg
1696008385291-d0b25d265b8738e6c196f1ddfcb5e11b.jpeg
1696533636542-bd73325b8eba8317dc297f43465a407e.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just to drop in an update in case people hadn't see it, we've had a few new episodes since Eccles now, all available where you get your podcasts...

We covered Ufton Nervert (2004) in an episode released September 15th - episode here
And then Singleton Bank (1961) near Poulton le Fylde released 29th - find it here

We've also released the first three of a new type of episode which are filling the gaps between main episodes, calling them "RAIB roundups", more of a current affairs type format where we look at what's been happening in the world of railway safety, new reports, incidents under investigation etc etc, and you'll find those on these links:

September 8th roundup
September 22nd roundup
October 6th roundup

Enjoy!

1694716756768-b40985491fcc050e4550392d8cbe996e.jpeg
1696008385291-d0b25d265b8738e6c196f1ddfcb5e11b.jpeg
1696533636542-bd73325b8eba8317dc297f43465a407e.jpeg

You’re getting fairly prolific now Dan!

The mini RAIB round ups are very interesting, definitely a good addition and I like the way you cover lots of different events.

malc-c

Just caught up with recent editions. Listening to Ufton Nervet - 2004 on spotify. I had to replay the start a couple of times as adverts were played and I pay a subscription to Spotify so was a tad confused. Then more adverts around the 45 minute mark. As they were repeatable it's clear these are added by Dan. For me this spoilt the pod cast. I appreciate Dan is monetizing the pod cast to get something back for his time and effort, but please restrict them to the beginning and end of the cast. Having them in the middle of the "story telling" as we try to get a picture in our mind based on Dan's description just spoils the flow of the podcast.. well it did for me.

tpfx89

Just caught up with recent editions. Listening to Ufton Nervet - 2004 on spotify. I had to replay the start a couple of times as adverts were played and I pay a subscription to Spotify so was a tad confused. Then more adverts around the 45 minute mark. As they were repeatable it's clear these are added by Dan. For me this spoilt the pod cast. I appreciate Dan is monetizing the pod cast to get something back for his time and effort, but please restrict them to the beginning and end of the cast. Having them in the middle of the "story telling" as we try to get a picture in our mind based on Dan's description just spoils the flow of the podcast.. well it did for me.
Appreciate mid-roll adverts are a bit more intrusive the pre or post roll, but for this reason they're specifically inserted at the brief interludes between sections of the podcast.

I don't believe they break up the storytelling any more than adverts on any TV channel other than those on the BBC and they are absolutely skippable if people don't wish to listen to them.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Appreciate mid-roll adverts are a bit more intrusive the pre or post roll, but for this reason they're specifically inserted at the brief interludes between sections of the podcast.

I don't believe they break up the storytelling any more than adverts on any TV channel other than those on the BBC and they are absolutely skippable if people don't wish to listen to them.

My take on these things is that if people are putting entertainment out for me to listen to for free then I’m happy to have the odd advert, most podcasts I listen to do. I think I was working when I heard them come on so I didn’t have the time to skip them, they went by quickly though.

malc-c

I'm clearly in the minority when it came to the adverts. Pre and post placement is fine, it's just the mid roll ones that I found distraction and an annoyance.

@Cowley Oh I agree, it's fantastic that Dan and others produce content for free for us to listen to. I was inspired to give podcasting a go by the early editions of "signals to danger" so I could appreciate what goes into making one. I just find mid roll adverts, be them in a youtube video or a podcast such as "signals to danger" distracts from plot, more so with a podcast where we're relying on the narrator setting the scenes and building up the tension. I have no objections to Dan monetizing his channel, after all if he can earn a few beers from all his hard work then that's fine, I would ask if they could be paced at the beginning or end of the production, so they don't spoil the enjoyment I get from listening to it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm clearly in the minority when it came to the adverts. Pre and post placement is fine, it's just the mid roll ones that I found distraction and an annoyance.

@Cowley Oh I agree, it's fantastic that Dan and others produce content for free for us to listen to. I was inspired to give podcasting a go by the early editions of "signals to danger" so I could appreciate what goes into making one. I just find mid roll adverts, be them in a youtube video or a podcast such as "signals to danger" distracts from plot, more so with a podcast where we're relying on the narrator setting the scenes and building up the tension. I have no objections to Dan monetizing his channel, after all if he can earn a few beers from all his hard work then that's fine, I would ask if they could be paced at the beginning or end of the production, so they don't spoil the enjoyment I get from listening to it.

I suspect you get a lot less money for putting them at the start or end because people just skip them, particularly at the end.