• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcast: Signals to Danger - Railway disasters in the UK

malc-c

I suspect you get a lot less money for putting them at the start or end because people just skip them, particularly at the end.
It may depends on the process. These adverts seem to be embedded into the recording, so Dan may get paid regardless if people listen or skip them. Unlike YouTube that insert adverts into the video, which the content producer has no control over other than unchecking a tick box for mid roll adds, which Youtube seem to ignore and pee's off a lot of content providers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It may depends on the process. These adverts seem to be embedded into the recording, so Dan may get paid regardless if people listen or skip them. Unlike YouTube that insert adverts into the video, which the content producer has no control over other than unchecking a tick box for mid roll adds, which Youtube seem to ignore and pee's off a lot of content providers

That wasn't what I meant. I meant that if he chose to embed at the start or end instead of the middle I wonder if he might be paid less. For one I never listen to adverts at the end of a podcast, I always stop it when the actual episode has finished.

tpfx89

I don't know without really digging into it if there are differing rates for pre or post-roll versus mid-roll ads, but the other point of consideration is that the amount of money hosting services per advert delivered is incredibly small, and is generally accounted for per 1000 downloads, so it's less about the value of each ad slot as opposed to the difference in having 2 or 3 slots per episode.

On the question of skipping or not, they're embedded against the cue points I've set at the point you download the episode from Acast's servers I believe, so I don't believe they'd ever know if you skipped them or not.

In any case, a little bit of pocket money coming in makes the time and effort more justifiable to my family, if I can scrape enough off it to pay for a family day out once a month that might make the laptop focus during "TV time" and the recording session family abandonment easier to swallow!

Happy to take the ads off though if the Beeb folds me into the licence fee incomes!

Strathclyder

Established Member
New episode alert for those who haven't yet seen in other places...

View attachment 145745
Will definitely be giving this one a listen, given it's promixity to me and the fact I've passed through that junction - still largely the same as it was in 1989, contrasting markedly with how Newton Junction has changed since 1991 - countless times.

Trestrol

Will definitely be giving this one a listen, given it's promixity to me and the fact I've passed through that junction - still largely the same as it was in 1989, contrasting markedly with how Newton Junction has changed since 1991 - countless times.
Already listened and it's good. I wondered if the junction was changed after the incident.

tpfx89

We're back again with another multi-part episode, Ladbroke Grove.

First episode up now which tells the story of the actual crash, part two will describe the investigation and findings and part three the legacy and changes to railway safety management which occurred as a result.

1000022168.jpg

Trestrol

Second episode out now. Beggars belief what the Railtrack Signal engineer was told by Major Projects. Excellent episode Dan.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Second episode out now. Beggars belief what the Railtrack Signal engineer was told by Major Projects. Excellent episode Dan.

Incredible really. A very thought provoking couple of episodes.

tpfx89

Just as an FYI, part three of Ladbroke is now available and finishes up part 1 of the Cullen report, before taking a look at the creation of the ORR, RSSB and RAIB

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just as an FYI, part three of Ladbroke is now available and finishes up part 1 of the Cullen report, before taking a look at the creation of the ORR, RSSB and RAIB

Listened to it this morning. Very good as always Dan.

tpfx89

Routine post to let you know we're still churning out content.

By "we're" I do still mean "I'm", no vast media empire to report upon at this stage!

420618287_929536499174524_8817553922859957247_n.jpg

ASharpe

I do like your podcasts but some have felt like there has been some significant effort to pad them out to an hour or so. It would be good if there could be an abridged version although I do appreciate that you don't want to trivialise tragic events

Mikw

I listen to these as soon as they come out, they're brilliant. Thought provoking, thorough and detailed - also absorbing to listen to.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Must admit that I was expecting the James Street episode to not be as interesting as some of them but I got completely absorbed in it. Just so desperately sad.

Our kids got themselves into some silly situations when they were that age. I can’t imagine how difficult that was for her family, friends and the other people that found themselves caught up in it.

tpfx89

I do like your podcasts but some have felt like there has been some significant effort to pad them out to an hour or so. It would be good if there could be an abridged version although I do appreciate that you don't want to trivialise tragic events
What would you be after in terms of an abridged version? It's not a request I've heard before.

For context you may not have however, there is some significant work involved in scripting (normally around 8k words), recording and then post-production, editing and uploading etc. It would be a challenge to look at adding workload in here, both in terms of recording twice (which is a big strain on the voice already for an hour or two of continuous talking) or massively increasing the edit time to trim down an alternate version from the full version. Might also be a challenge on then uploading two of the "same" episode onto the same host and RSS feed.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Just been listening to the Hixon episode, thanks Dan it was interesting. I think you may have mis spoken during it though, it sounded like you said 1986 instead of 1968

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just been listening to the Hixon episode, thanks Dan it was interesting. I think you may have mis spoken during it though, it sounded like you said 1986 instead of 1968

Yes I noticed that as well. I guess it’s difficult to go back an edit it once it’s been released though?

Great episode though Dan. Really absorbing.

tpfx89

Yes I noticed that as well. I guess it’s difficult to go back an edit it once it’s been released though?

Great episode though Dan. Really absorbing.
I didn't realise! Not impossible to amend but challenging to match the exact sound after post production etc is done!

Chrius56000

Is there a way of downloading the episodes as audio files for my reel–to–reel tape recorder or CD for my car?

bspahh

Established Member
Is there a way of downloading the episodes as audio files for my reel–to–reel tape recorder or CD for my car?
There is an RSS feed at https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/64cb872737d7340011166f72

To download the episodes as MP3 files one by one, click the button with 3 dots next to each episode and click Download
screenshot of https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/64cb872737d7340011166f72 with a Download link highlighted

If you want to download each episode automatically, I use Radio Downloader from https://nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/
When you have downloaded and installed Radio Downloader, click the Find Programme tab and click the Podcast button, paste in https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/64cb872737d7340011166f72 and click Subscribe

Last edited:

Chrius56000

Thank you Sir, you first link to feeds@acast provided me with the files I wanted for my tape recorder!

Chrius56000

Some more accidents I would be very interested in adding to the Podcasts are those where technical signalling failures played a part, such as :–

Farnley Junction, Leeds, 1977
Charing Cross, 1938
Clapham Junction, 1988
Kensal Green, 1986
Thirsk, 1954

. . .And I would like Podcasts on :–

Marden, Kent, 1969
Watford High Street 1962

. . .Both of these were fog–related!

. . .And Podcasts where "Stop–and–Proceed" Working and "Ding–Ding–And–Away!" were identified as causes are two more subjects of interest to me!

Chris Williams

tpfx89

Thank you for beating me to this answer!

Some more accidents I would be very interested in adding to the Podcasts are those where technical signalling failures played a part, such as :–

Farnley Junction, Leeds, 1977
Charing Cross, 1938
Clapham Junction, 1988
Kensal Green, 1986
Thirsk, 1954

. . .And I would like Podcasts on :–

Marden, Kent, 1969
Watford High Street 1962

. . .Both of these were fog–related!

. . .And Podcasts where "Stop–and–Proceed" Working and "Ding–Ding–And–Away!" were identified as causes are two more subjects of interest to me!

Chris Williams
Thanks Chris, a good shopping list of future episodes!

Purple Train

Established Member
Slightly mad idea based on Chris's list - if you were to do an episode based on either Watford High Street or Kensal Green, what about doing them together? Just a thought - but, upon reading the reports, both were caused by driver error exacerbated by issues/misunderstandings with the bespoke signalling system, both involved a larger main-line train in rear-end collision with a smaller Bakerloo Line train, and both resulted in modifications to the signalling system.

Colonel Reed's remarks and recommendations regarding the signalling are particularly interesting to read in the light of the Kensal Green accident: "I therefore discussed with the railway officers whether the traffic requirements of the line could not be met after eliminating the marker lights and small yellow aspects, and the red aspect in repeater signals. The authority to proceed to drivers of trains stopped at signals could then be given on the telephone by the signalman, when the circumstances warranted, as is done on other stretches of the line which have continuous track circuits and colour light signals. I was assured however that the cost of such alterations would be very considerable as it would be necessary to provide telephones at the many automatic signals and to extend the track circuit indications for long distances to the few boxes on the line which are always open." While I presume there were future modifications to the signalling system, it would be interesting to explore how much the revised design that Col. Reed recommended after High Street played a part in the signalling issues that underpinned Kensal Green.

tpfx89

I have thought about bundling a couple of similar ones together before so that could work.

In other news there's a new round up out;
On this week's RAIB Roundup we take a look at some recent incidents the RAIB is taking notice of, the recent spate of derailments of passenger trains, and we chat a little about Central Door Locking on heritage stock.