• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

js1000

Apparently only 434 and 456 out today which seemingly leaves 5 out of service. Those of us who welcomed the idea must be increasingly concerned that after so long to set them up so few are operational.

Considering the problems encountered with 484s we surely must reconsider the economics of recycling 30-40 year old trains in this way. Good job the 150s have been patched up to last a bit longer. We need to get ordering some standard purpose built bi-modes for introduction nationwide ASAP. Units that that can eaaily be cascaded anywhere as more lines are electrified.
Always been very wary of this conversion experiment. Retrofitting anything is difficult enough - strapping diesel engines onto a 1980s EMU was never going to be straightforward. Not to mention the 319s hardly have a glowing reliability record. "You'd be better off starting again" (i.e. just cough up and buy some new bi-mode units) clearly applies in this instance. Will be interesting to see how long they persist and if Northern just think "this is not worth the hassle". The sad fact is Porterbrook just want to extract every last penny out of them.

Thankfully Northern are looking to procure some bi-mode 195/331s which I think would be prudent move that would pay off in the long term. They would probably operate the Manchester Airport to the Lakes and Southport to Alderley Edge services. This would also release some 195s onto other routes to attract new passengers who associate Northern with dilapidated Pacers and grotty Sprinter units and is a huge impediment for the franchise in attracting patronage and becoming more sustainable.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
Thankfully Northern are looking to procure some bi-mode 195/331s which I think would be prudent move that would pay off in the long term. They would probably operate the Manchester Airport to the Lakes and Southport to Alderley Edge services.
Hopefully we'll not get yet another fairly small run of units that will only work with a restricted number of other classes. That becomes an increasing issue as each decade passes and service needs change. 319/769s have advantages over 2 x 150 in that loads can be better distributed along the train and revenue more easily checked.

ic31420

Hopefully we'll not get yet another fairly small run of units that will only work with a restricted number of other classes. That becomes an increasing issue as each decade passes and service needs change. 319/769s have advantages over 2 x 150 in that loads can be better distributed along the train and revenue more easily checked.
That's going to be an interesting beast transmission wise.

Would a dieselisd or battery 331 not be better option?

Jozhua

Established Member
The most sensible option would be to just electrify a lot of the routes.

Warrington-Chester would remove a lot of under-wire running and free up 195's. The benefits of Oxenholme/Windemere are obvious. Transpennine, via Huddersfield, Halifax and Hope Valley - Obvious! Manchester-Southport seems another obvious candidate, especially with the spacing of stops between Manchester/Wigan and the surprisingly low level of service the route gets (you could also do lostock-hindsley and get more fully electric services on the Bolton Corridor)

The 769's were supposed to be a stop-gap, the gap of which could now have been long since filled with a more permanent solution. Now, the conversions were always going to be complicated. 2nd hand sets having extra heavy equipment, etc strapped to them they were never designed for. It's like trying to fit a V8 in a Tesla!

Bi-Modes can provide a lot of upsides, but they come with addin more expense (for both Cap/Opex), more weight than a singularly diesel or electric train, and generally reduced performance on diesel mode (compared to other DMUs). You do get zero-emissions and higher acceleration on electric mode (still lower than a pure EMU), but it is heavier, therefore using more energy (and track wear!) than a purely electric vehicle.

Bi-modes might have a place as a stop gap, especially for intercity services. However, they may be encouraging government to delay electrification schemes, which would be more beneficial to the sustainability of the railway (environmentally and financially). The 769 project seems to be challenging the economics of retrofits.

The best way for the railways to move forward would probably be to design DMUs to have the capability to be converted to fully electric units in the future. That way, we can order the DMUs we need for today, whilst having trains that can have relatively straightforward EMU conversions tomorrow.

Established Member
The other changes are 426 is confirmed as having driving car 77340 back, saw a photo of 930 out and about earlier so assume testing, 936 has moved from Long Marston to Nemesis and 944 is now converted & at Nemesis.
What happened to driving car 77340? Why was it taken out of the formation?
As an engineer with zero railway experience, but 40 years in electrical engineering, if anyone asked me to offer an opinion on a project like this (i.e. a 30 year old design as a base) I'd say it will end in tears.
It being the electrical component that is 30 years old and you having seen electrical systems of such age and even earlier designs come and go this s
(…just cough up and buy some new bi-mode units) clearly applies in this instance. Will be interesting to see how long they persist and if Northern just think "this is not worth the hassle". The sad fact is Porterbrook just want to extract every last penny out of them.

Thankfully Northern are looking to procure some bi-mode 195/331s which I think would be prudent move that would pay off in the long term. They would probably operate the Manchester Airport to the Lakes and Southport to Alderley Edge services. This would also release some 195s…
CAF are supposed to be building 3 new battery trailers to be inserted into 3 car 331s to create a bespoke 4 car battery unit for Windermere. 195/331s are out of gauge at Meols Cop but only with the doors open, so can’t operate to Southport in service without work on the island platform.
Given a bit more money (if the treasury/DfT weren’t so tight), a single compatible fleet of 2, 3 and 4 car bi-mode DEMUs could have been ordered for Northern to run all routes (and had their diesel equipment removed as required when lines were electrified to become pure EMUs) and it is also evident from the 196s and 197s being built that they could have had gangways, solving the issue of revenue collection.
The best way for the railways to move forward would probably be to design DMUs to have the capability to be converted to fully electric units in the future. That way, we can order the DMUs we need for today, whilst having trains that can have relatively straightforward EMU conversions tomorrow.
Not DMUs, DEMUs with electric transmission. It should be noted that the 769 doesn’t have a DMU mode at all, it can only run as an DEMU or an EMU. If all new self powered units were built as DEMUs, BEMUs or HEMUs, with a pantograph well from new even if one isn’t fitted, converting to a pure EMU would be as simple as unbolting the Diesel engine/battery/hydrogen fuel cell and never using that capability again.

It is evident from CAF’s website that Civity units can be ordered as DEMUs. While retractioning 195/196/197s to become 331s (which may be worth it considering what their age will be by the time Diesel is supposed to have been phased out) is possible, it will be much more complicated, than if the money had been spent future proofing them in the first place (but they would have to have sense for that).

But talking of sense, consider that if the ENTIRE network had been electrified in 1955 as part of the modernisation plan (and then NONE of it subsequently closed) how much money would have been saved on Diesel (and coal!) since and how much more revenue would have been generated.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Bi-modes might have a place as a stop gap, especially for intercity services. However, they may be encouraging government to delay electrification schemes, which would be more beneficial to the sustainability of the railway (environmentally and financially). The 769 project seems to be challenging the economics of retrofits.
100% this, and I suspected it as soon as Grayling opened his mouth.

Instead of fixing the cost runaway putting up the wires, let's convert some 30 year old stock with an untested design, what could possibly go wrong?

Killingworth

Established Member

Instead of fixing the cost runaway putting up the wires, let's convert some 30 year old stock with an untested design, what could possibly go wrong?
We may need a reality check on the rush to electrify everything, be it trains, road vehicles or space heating.

Cost is enormous. Priorities run up against major practical considerations. We all put things off.

Personal examples. Our gas central heating system is old but still works well. Despite annual reminders that it's out of date spares are still obtainable and we put off replacing it with a more efficient gas system. A ground source heat pump and electric replacement would be a major investment and very disruptive. Being put off. Heat pump not likely.

My diesel car has done over 70,000 miles but should be good for twice that distance. I don't need a new car but might like one. I'd like to have an electric car that would take me over 500 mikes on a charge. Currently the capital cost, range and time to recharge deter me. Purchase being put off. Compromise possible within 3 years - hybrid?

I'm not surprised the British railway industry is putting things off. Electrifying everything immediately isn't possible even if we could afford it. We have to use DEMUs, or have carriages that can be loco hauled by diesel and electric until we get more wires in place.

Realistically, as we didn't plan and wire up a national electrified railway 100 years ago, we're stuck with what we've got. It's unlikely to be all electric within 30 years, possibly not within 50. (Assuming we still use railways by then.)

Returning to today, there seem to be 4 769s out in service. It would be great if this project could get over the teething problems and prove it was worthwhile.

Jozhua

Established Member
What happened to driving car 77340? Why was it taken out of the formation?

It being the electrical component that is 30 years old and you having seen electrical systems of such age and even earlier designs come and go this s

CAF are supposed to be building 3 new battery trailers to be inserted into 3 car 331s to create a bespoke 4 car battery unit for Windermere. 195/331s are out of gauge at Meols Cop but only with the doors open, so can’t operate to Southport in service without work on the island platform.

Given a bit more money (if the treasury/DfT weren’t so tight), a single compatible fleet of 2, 3 and 4 car bi-mode DEMUs could have been ordered for Northern to run all routes (and had their diesel equipment removed as required when lines were electrified to become pure EMUs) and it is also evident from the 196s and 197s being built that they could have had gangways, solving the issue of revenue collection.

Not DMUs, DEMUs with electric transmission. It should be noted that the 769 doesn’t have a DMU mode at all, it can only run as an DEMU or an EMU. If all new self powered units were built as DEMUs, BEMUs or HEMUs, with a pantograph well from new even if one isn’t fitted, converting to a pure EMU would be as simple as unbolting the Diesel engine/battery/hydrogen fuel cell and never using that capability again.

It is evident from CAF’s website that Civity units can be ordered as DEMUs. While retractioning 195/196/197s to become 331s (which may be worth it considering what their age will be by the time Diesel is supposed to have been phased out) is possible, it will be much more complicated, than if the money had been spent future proofing them in the first place (but they would have to have sense for that).

But talking of sense, consider that if the ENTIRE network had been electrified in 1955 as part of the modernisation plan (and then NONE of it subsequently closed) how much money would have been saved on Diesel (and coal!) since and how much more revenue would have been generated.
I was literally thinking DMUs with mechanical transmission, for simplicity's sake! Then just swap out the engine with a motor and throw a few bits of electrical equipment underneath when needed.

The units should really have had gangways, but then they should also have ordered more centre cars, considering how packed they have been since day one. But that's standard DfT doing the bare minimum!

The funny thing is that we could probably be making decent progress into wiring another route by now, hopefully having learned some lessons and sticking to schedule/budget a bit better.

769's will be an improvement over 150's, but just having 319's run it will always be more desirable.
We may need a reality check on the rush to electrify everything, be it trains, road vehicles or space heating.

Cost is enormous. Priorities run up against major practical considerations. We all put things off.

Personal examples. Our gas central heating system is old but still works well. Despite annual reminders that it's out of date spares are still obtainable and we put off replacing it with a more efficient gas system. A ground source heat pump and electric replacement would be a major investment and very disruptive. Being put off. Heat pump not likely.

My diesel car has done over 70,000 miles but should be good for twice that distance. I don't need a new car but might like one. I'd like to have an electric car that would take me over 500 mikes on a charge. Currently the capital cost, range and time to recharge deter me. Purchase being put off. Compromise possible within 3 years - hybrid?

I'm not surprised the British railway industry is putting things off. Electrifying everything immediately isn't possible even if we could afford it. We have to use DEMUs, or have carriages that can be loco hauled by diesel and electric until we get more wires in place.

Realistically, as we didn't plan and wire up a national electrified railway 100 years ago, we're stuck with what we've got. It's unlikely to be all electric within 30 years, possibly not within 50. (Assuming we still use railways by then.)

Returning to today, there seem to be 4 769s out in service. It would be great if this project could get over the teething problems and prove it was worthwhile.
Your mention of the expense of electric cars is one of the reasons investment in public transport is so important for decarbonisation.

For railways, electrification is economic, especially on routes like the MML or XC, which probably rack up some very frightening diesel bills!

Electrification means simpler, lighter, cheaper, faster, quieter, less polluting trains. Battery/Hydrogen/Diesel will not match OLE in all of these factors.

Also, if you think - say you electrify Windermere. When you consider the route, you are also electrifying that train all the way from Oxenholme - Manchester Airport.

Ultimately electrification more widely is about dealing with climate change. However, for the railways, it provides many more benefits than that, making it one of the most obvious industries to invest in electrification for.

I think Gareth Dennis' take on this is right. Electrification of railways primarily reduces carbon by improving service, increasing capacity, and enabling modal shift from road.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I think Gareth Dennis' take on this is right. Electrification of railways primarily reduces carbon by improving service, increasing capacity, and enabling modal shift from road.

How does electrification of railways enable modal shift from road?

Jozhua

Established Member
How does electrification of railways enable modal shift from road?
Increases capacity, decreases journey times, increases speed.

Therefore, makes it more appealing and more able to take traffic off the roads.

Nymanic

Haven't you heard of "The Sparks effect"? If not, Google it.
This appears to have been the case on the Chat Moss line. Although the 319s were hardly any newer than what they replaced (and the lack of tables etc was unfortunate), they offered a consistent capacity uplift, improved acceleration vs Sprinters (which helped with timekeeping), a guaranteed train length, and a cleaner interior than most Northern units at the time (which could be pretty awful). It's the consistency that feeds patronage.

Back to topic, 769458 is really struggling atm - a 20-minute sit-down and yet another lengthy changeover at Bolton. Nearly half an hour lost. Passengers for Ashton and Stalybridge will have another hour to wait. This unreliability could well affect passenger numbers.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Increases capacity, decreases journey times, increases speed.

Therefore, makes it more appealing and more able to take traffic off the roads.

All those things are possible without electrification.

Haven't you heard of "The Sparks effect"? If not, Google it.

As above. The Chiltern line had a very significant ‘sparks effect’, without electrification.

What drives passenger demand is speed, convenience, comfort and price compared to the alternatives. Electrification can enable this, but ultimately it can be (and has been) done via other methods.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I remind everyone that this is a Traction and Rolling Stock thread to discuss Class 769 Flex Trains so can we keep the North vs South funding arguments for elsewhere please.

D9006

This appears to have been the case on the Chat Moss line. Although the 319s were hardly any newer than what they replaced (and the lack of tables etc was unfortunate), they offered a consistent capacity uplift, improved acceleration vs Sprinters (which helped with timekeeping), a guaranteed train length, and a cleaner interior than most Northern units at the time (which could be pretty awful). It's the consistency that feeds patronage.

Back to topic, 769458 is really struggling atm - a 20-minute sit-down and yet another lengthy changeover at Bolton. Nearly half an hour lost. Passengers for Ashton and Stalybridge will have another hour to wait. This unreliability could well affect passenger numbers.
Whatever caused the delay was rectified at Manchester Victoria, but later on a 10min delay at Bolton switching to Diesel , was 11 late but made up 4 minutes to Southport

Four today - great, let's hope it stays that way!
All 4 still going strong apart from 458 earlier but carried on to end of diagram, just heard one motoring out of Hindley station, is so weird hearing the Emu sound no Diesel engine at all

5 out at start of play, 4 on alderley edge and 1 on stalybridge . 434, 442, 450, 456 and 458

5 starting today’s diagrams . 434, 442, 450, 456, 458. 4 on Alderley Edge and 1 on Stalybridge diagrams

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
448 given up the ghost at Wigan and it's not even 9am (time of the fault, not of my writing this!)

notlob.divad

Established Member
no offence, but that sounds a lot like a bi-mode, without the flexibilty to run off the wires when on tracks that are already electrified.

plugwash

Established Member
How would you actually do that though?

Do you propose to replace the whole drive train during the conversion? or do you plan to have an electric drivetrain from the start? if you are planning on an electric drivetrain from the start it seems to me that you may as well also have the pantograph and transformer from the start and make it a bi-mode.

Killingworth

Established Member
How would you actually do that though?

Do you propose to replace the whole drive train during the conversion? or do you plan to have an electric drivetrain from the start? if you are planning on an electric drivetrain from the start it seems to me that you may as well also have the pantograph and transformer from the start and make it a bi-mode.
You may as well order carriages and traction separately then they can be hauled by diesel, hydrogen, electric - or even coal!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Diagram resumed at Alderley edge but realtimes is not giving the unit or formation

Journey Check showed the return as "formed of 2 coaches instead of 4" but yeah it could have been any manner of non air-conditioned Sprinter.

D9006

Journey Check showed the return as "formed of 2 coaches instead of 4" but yeah it could have been any manner of non air-conditioned Sprinter.
Just heard the unit leaving Hindley on 2158 to Southport , definitely a sprinter if had to say most likely a 150, do 156s have door closing alarms

D9006

Every unit has door closing alarms
Thanks for that update

On 1115 Southport to Alderley Edge getting extra mileage on Diesel been diverted along Atherton line.

What's the line speed on Atherton line. Either driver didn't want to use power too much but we didn't exceed 50

Last edited: