• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible end to paper tickets in South East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1609

Established Member
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of fares from stations beyond Paddington to destinations beyond Reading (using permitted routes) valid for travel during the peak where the through fares are lower than the price of GWR's peak fares between Reading and Paddington. There may be trouble ahead.

Coming back to the non-interchange North Downs Line stations - AFAIK none have yellow or pink readers excepting (possibly) the handful of stations served by the SWR services between Wokingham - Reading and Aldershot South Junction - Guildford, plus Reigate.

My local station, Blackwater, has an ITSO button on the home screen of the TVMs, but the reliability of these machines is poor, so it would be optimistic to rely on them alone. Sandhurst doesn't have a TVM (and likely never will, due to its location) while Farnborough North does not have an accessible TVM for passengers arriving on Platform 1 via the cycle path from Frimley Green. Determining the correct fares for many journeys to/from NDL stations could be "interesting" unless pink readers are installed at all NDL interchange stations.
All the Marshlink halts (GTR) have had a card only TVM with TOD for at least 5 years and ITSO card readers for the last couple of years.
In the case of Doleham which only has 4 trains per day the comms are provided by satellite as there is no landline available.
There really is no excuse for every station not having a TVM in 2021.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BayPaul

Established Member
My local station, Blackwater, has an ITSO button on the home screen of the TVMs, but the reliability of these machines is poor, so it would be optimistic to rely on them alone. Sandhurst doesn't have a TVM (and likely never will, due to its location) while Farnborough North does not have an accessible TVM for passengers arriving on Platform 1 via the cycle path from Frimley Green. Determining the correct fares for many journeys to/from NDL stations could be "interesting" unless pink readers are installed at all NDL interchange stations.
Non-existence or poor reliability of TVMs is surely something in favour of going contactless, where the only thing that needs to work is a simple (and presumably fairly cheap) yellow reader with no moving parts, and which can easily have multiple units installed at each entrance to even small stations. Having TVMs available for things like checking fares, checking accounts, and buying long distance fares is useful, but is a nice to have, rather than essential.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There really is no excuse for every station not having a TVM in 2021.

Arguably schemes like this and e-ticketing mean there won't be any need for every really quiet station to have an expensive and expensive to maintain (and often vandalised) TVM (costing I believe about £20K a pop installed). I bet the Marston Vale ones are hardly used at all - if you had contactless and e-ticketing the tiny number of people who can't use either can just be sold tickets on board, or if it's DOO then at the interchange point. Yes, a few people might fare-dodge for an intermediate journey (as they often do on e.g. Merseyrail) but the low fares involved mean it isn't worth pursuing other than by the occasional RPI sting.

Ken H

On Moderation
On my other PC I'm presently working on a database which has a table with 2 million records in it. Querying those records on an indexed key pair takes a fraction of a second.

Technology has caught up, you know! :)
depends what indexes to the database you have. No index, and SQL will build one.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Even short journeys like Croydon to Gatwick Airport have Thameslink Only tickets.

Last time I got one of these, the difference was only pence, and initially I didn't even realise both existed - not like the quite large differences on longer journeys on the London-Brighton route.

Ken H

On Moderation
If you had a database which contained a station pair and a list of zones crossed so you could price it, there is no way you wouldn't have an index of ["start_station","end_station"].
but select * from {file} where zone = '3' would be slow

biko

Why would it be a problem how much time it costs to query a fare? With contactless it can all be done in the backoffice so it doesn't matter if it takes a second more.

For reference the Dutch OV-chipkaart needs instant calculation at touch-out and can cope with all station combinations served by the same operator in the Netherlands combined with all discount options. There were as far as I know 274 stations served by NS at the peak a few years ago, so at least that number is feasible.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Why would it be a problem how much time it costs to query a fare? With contactless it can all be done in the backoffice so it doesn't matter if it takes a second more.

For reference the Dutch OV-chipkaart needs instant calculation at touch-out and can cope with all station combinations served by the same operator in the Netherlands combined with all discount options. There were as far as I know 274 stations served by NS at the peak a few years ago, so at least that number is feasible.
Yes, and there are about 10 times that many stations in Britain. Any lots of journeys where there is a choice of route, sometimes at wildly different fares.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, and there are about 10 times that many stations in Britain. Any lots of journeys where there is a choice of route, sometimes at wildly different fares.

Then remove route-specific fares (or have them covered by other means, such as e-tickets)

biko

But the idea is to implement it in just the SE of England and to process it in the back office, so that shouldn't be a problem I would think

johncrossley

Established Member
I think Cambridge was mentioned but what about the Peterborough line?

Maybe no validity on that line? In other words, not beyond Hitchin. It isn't on that 2019 consultation diagram. Although it would be weird if some of the Thameslink network isn't included.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Then remove route-specific fares (or have them covered by other means, such as e-tickets)
Right, so what should the peak fare from Gatwick Airport to Reading be? £15.05 (half the current "via Gomshall" SDR) or £38.20 (half the current "+Any Permitted" SDR), or something in between?

In reality the difference may be even more, as the via Gomshall CDR has no evening peak restrictions but the +Any Permitted does. Of course it's possible that evening peak restrictions would be introduced to the via Gomshall fares, as part of single leg pricing.

Or should via Gomshall fares now only be available as an e-ticket? Meaning that you have to know not to use the new PAYG system for journeys like this, otherwise you'll pay 2.5× more than you have to?

But the idea is to implement it in just the SE of England and to process it in the back office, so that shouldn't be a problem I would think
About a third to half of all British stations are located in the proposed area. So there are still orders of magnitude more station-to-station combinations than across the entire NS network.

That doesn't make it impossible, but it does make it a lot more complex - probably too complex for local calculations, meaning you're effectively reliant on extending credit (in some cases near three figure sums) to random members of the public.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Or fit gatelines within stations. No one thinks it odd to have separate gatelines for the underground and National Rail at mainline terminals. Fitting them at places like Reading, Farringdon and other large interchanges seems perfectly reasonable.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't see the issue given that calculations don't have to be done in real time.
It means that you can only ever have a contactless-based system, not a smartcard-based system. Meaning that you are extending credit to passengers, and cannot reliably verify whether someone has touched in.

johncrossley

Established Member
It means that you can only ever have a contactless-based system, not a smartcard-based system. Meaning that you are extending credit to passengers, and cannot reliably verify whether someone has touched in.

Obviously many passengers pass through ticket gates either at the beginning or end of the trip. Other passengers may have their card inspected by on train staff. Inspected passengers who haven't touched in get charged a maximum fare.

I guess you are worried about trips that don't pass through any ticket gates. Lessons might be learnt from Metrolink as it has no ticket gates. You might assume that they have a lot of people not touching in, but inspected passengers who don't touch in get a £45 charge. Maybe that is a strong deterrent.

biko

I agree that means a contactless-based system, but that seems the trend worldwide as that doesn't require separate cards. But that still doesn't make it impossible to verify whether someone has touched in, I would think. Why would it be impossible to reliably verify a touch in if the validator sends card numbers in real time to a database? As long as it is checked regularly if each validator functions correctly, you can see in the database if someone touched in. The only differences to a smartcard-based PAYG system is that there is no balance known and no history on the card itself.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But that still doesn't make it impossible to verify whether someone has touched in, I would think. Why would it be impossible to reliably verify a touch in if the validator sends card numbers in real time to a database? As long as it is checked regularly if each validator functions correctly, you can see in the database if someone touched in.
But there comes the problem. How can you be sure that you always have the latest list of validated cards? And what do you do if there is no signal (either for the validator, for the verifying device or both)?

Metrolink seem to find £45 a sufficient 'standard' fare (i.e. penalty) to put off people who are thinking of not touching in. That's a ratio of roughly 10:1 between the penalty and their highest normal fare (£4.60).

On that basis, you would need to impose a 'standard' fare of nearly £500 if contactless were expanded as widely as is proposed here - Maidstone to Oxford SDR is £94, so the contactless single would be £47. 10× that is £470...

biko

But there comes the problem. How can you be sure that you always have the latest list of validated cards? And what do you do if there is no signal (either for the validator, for the verifying device or both)?
You can at least show the time of update, which should be later than the departure time, but you could also check latest update time of specific stations.
On that basis, you would need to impose a 'standard' fare of nearly £500 if contactless were expanded as widely as is proposed here - Maidstone to Oxford SDR is £94, so the contactless single would be £47. 10× that is £470...
There is also another way: blocking a card until the problem is resolved

JonathanH

Veteran Member
And if that ends up stranding someone miles from home?
No different than if they don't have any money. I don't think we are talking about people having made an 'honest mistake', more multiple times not paying the fare.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
but select * from {file} where zone = '3' would be slow

Why would you need to do that?

I refer back to people rubbishing my suggestion for an e-ticket system that was extremely close to the one that was actually implemented. It does not have to be perfect. It just has to save the railway money over what it presently does. Thus, some fare dodging can be tolerated as it is with paper tickets. If someone "overdraws" their card, you just block it.

And if that ends up stranding someone miles from home?

They should have thought of that before travelling further than the credit they had allowed for.

Cdd89

Established Member
They should have thought of that before travelling further than the credit they had allowed for.
If the passenger is clearly at fault, then agreed, this is not a regression from the current system.

However, the adjacent Maidenhead contactless tap out issue thread is an example of how issues can arise that are not clearly the passenger’s fault. There was also the problem with the link to Kidbrooke a year ago.

daodao

Established Member
Buying a paper ticket or contacting staff who should be able to unblock a card for example
The proposal specifically intends to remove the option of buying a paper ticket.

However, the adjacent Maidenhead contactless tap out issue thread is an example of how issues can arise that are not clearly the passenger’s fault.
Every single platform/exit/entrance needs to have a contactless tap point for the system to work properly. That will be challenging to achieve throughout the ex-Network SE area, in contrast to a smaller compact system such as the Manchester Metrolink. This proposal to force use of contactless payments and prohibit the use of paper tickets seems to me a "bridge too far" for this vast area.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The proposal specifically intends to remove the option of buying a paper ticket.

It won't. That is genuinely not practical. Even LU hasn't.

It will be a fudge whereby TVMs will issue e-tickets or some such.

Every single platform/exit/entrance needs to have a contactless tap point for the system to work properly. That will be challenging to achieve throughout the ex-Network SE area, in contrast to a smaller compact system such as the Manchester Metrolink. This proposal to force use of contactless payments and prohibit the use of paper tickets seems to me a "bridge too far" for this vast area.

Only the gatelines or equivalent would need it.

'Select *' is ok. It's the 'where' that's an issue if there is no index to use.

And that isn't a "where" that would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.