• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential future uses for class 68 & Mk5 sets?

The Planner

Veteran Member
This thread has gone quiet for a while, guessing no new news.
I was reading the thread about the ORR approving the Grand Union proposal for London Euston - Stirling services. The decision letter states the services will utilize "existing off-lease diesel trains". Posts in the thread stated that no rolling stock had been decided yet, and therefore the "likely Class 22x" was not confirmed.
By any chance, could Grand Union utilize Mk5s for this service? With a proposed start date of June 2025, I'm wondering if there is a chance that no 22xs could be available in time.
The paths require 110mph stock, so a 68 isnt going to work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
It's probably a 99% chance that they will go to Chiltern as they will need the least amount of training and loco hauled train familiarization, plus the locomotives are already known to them. Assuming the replacement body panel plan for the locomotives works then the noise issues should at least be abated somewhat. Of the main TOC's the only other operators with experience in locomotive hauled stock are LNER and GWR, LNER won't want any stock that can't go at 125Mph (though I assume the coaches could do it if recertified) and I understand GWR have other plans (plus probably have a greater reliance on sprinter differentials). I guess we'll wait until TPE's lease on them actually expires and an announcement will be made.

It certainly won't be any of the new OA operators as their applications/approvals are based on 22x's.

Clansman

Established Member
Additionally with GU putting in for Edinburgh to Wales services, there is an element of trying to have a homogeneous fleet that can serve both to keep resourcing costs down to a minimum.

Also it is worth noting that paths have only been granted for 5 years, so utilising any new builds or Mk5s that would incur a higher cost than a 20 year old sweated asset on its way out, would require a huge incentive that isn't going to be found by viewing the rolling stock through a passenger or enthusiast perspective.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's probably a 99% chance that they will go to Chiltern as they will need the least amount of training and loco hauled train familiarization, plus the locomotives are already known to them. Assuming the replacement body panel plan for the locomotives works then the noise issues should at least be abated somewhat. Of the main TOC's the only other operators with experience in locomotive hauled stock are LNER and GWR, LNER won't want any stock that can't go at 125Mph (though I assume the coaches could do it if recertified) and I understand GWR have other plans (plus probably have a greater reliance on sprinter differentials). I guess we'll wait until TPE's lease on them actually expires and an announcement will be made.

It certainly won't be any of the new OA operators as their applications/approvals are based on 22x's.
Huw Merriman has recently stated ( either in Parliament or to a Transport select Committee ) that he is pushing for Chiltern to have the Mk5 sets "from next year" ( which presumably means the May 2025 timetable change? ).

jagardner1984

Huw Merriman has recently stated ( either in Parliament or to a Transport select Committee ) that he is pushing for Chiltern to have the Mk5 sets "from next year" ( which presumably means the May 2025 timetable change? ).
Always good to promise something you definitely won’t be held accountable for delivery on :lol:

Class93

Slightly off topic - did the MK3/?4s go to scrap after being moved on from Chiltern? And I assume the locos returned to freight services?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Slightly off topic - did the MK3/?4s go to scrap after being moved on from Chiltern? And I assume the locos returned to freight services?
The Mk3s are still in use at Chiltern, never been Mk4s there. The future has not happened yet.

12LDA28C

Established Member

The only Mk3s to be scrapped from Chiltern were those from the slam-door set which was withdrawn from service a few years ago. Chiltern has never operated Mk4s.

warwickshire

On Moderation
It has been reported by a op on the mk5 updates thread, that TP07 actually returned to Longsight, for servicing on Thursday 29th March 2024, with its original branding still on it, actually in still its original Tpex Livery, any reason why this has?, But two other sets TP04, TPO3 x2, went back previously unbranded instead,
1. Is it possible these are possibly decommissioned or going off lease early.
2. Is it possible a couple or so parties ie Tocs or Open Access have put in a Tender For them.
3. Is it possible the Mk5s was meant for a Toc, but in past couple of weeks something has happened, has the bid fell through, ie no longer happening ie cost, Dft and Toc for a bid saying no, ie it costs to much due to amount of works needed on them, due to previous failures and hence why they finished on Transpennie Express. Maybe the Chiltern Railways option???? But again that option was speculation or still could be???. For example

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It has been reported by a op on the mk5 updates thread, that TP07 actually returned to Longsight, for servicing on Thursday 29th March 2024, with its original branding still on it, actually in still its original Tpex Livery, any reason why this has?, But two other sets TP04, TPO3 x2, went back previously unbranded instead,
1. Is it possible these are possibly decommissioned or going off lease early.
2. Is it possible a couple or so parties ie Tocs or Open Access have put in a Tender For them.
3. Is it possible the Mk5s was meant for a Toc, but in past couple of weeks something has happened, has the bid fell through, ie no longer happening ie cost, Dft and Toc for a bid saying no, ie it costs to much due to amount of works needed on them, due to previous failures and hence why they finished on Transpennie Express. Maybe the Chiltern Railways option???? But again that option was speculation or still could be???. For example
4 No time/urgency (yet) to de-brand ?.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
I just want to clear something up if I may regarding Chiltern and the ex TPE MK5s. I've hears two different stories, No 1 - Chiltern to not use the ex TPE MK5s the deal is off because of the cost and practicalities. Story no. 2 - Chiltern will use the MK5s on their Birmingham to London routes and use the other units elsewhere.

I'm rather conflicted at the moment so if anyone knows anymore or could but my mind at ease that would be much appreciated.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm rather conflicted at the moment so if anyone knows anymore or could but my mind at ease that would be much appreciated.
What is the reason to worry? Can't you just put it out of your mind and wait for an official announcement?

12LDA28C

Established Member
I just want to clear something up if I may regarding Chiltern and the ex TPE MK5s. I've hears two different stories, No 1 - Chiltern to not use the ex TPE MK5s the deal is off because of the cost and practicalities. Story no. 2 - Chiltern will use the MK5s on their Birmingham to London routes and use the other units elsewhere.

Nothing has been agreed or ruled out yet. The DfT will have the final say one way or the other, regardless of any aspirations Chiltern may have to take on the ex-TPE Mk5s. You'll just have to wait and see what happens like everyone else. My advice is not to listen to rumours.

The exile

Established Member

That is the nature of speculative discussions. By definition there are no hard and fast facts- or at the very least only indicators that can be interpreted in very different ways.