• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preacher on SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kacper

I was going to make a post about this but decided not to. There’s an older video of someone playing music through the PA too. Makes me wonder if the panel for it isn’t actually secured in any way?

Attached both videos as files in case anyone doesn’t want to open tiktok

Attachments

• v09044g40000cdr66mbc77udkt4428u0.mp4
    6.9 MB
  • v0f044gc0000cn9rusnog65pgc0b7v40.mp4
    3.3 MB

Energy

Established Member
Thank you
I was going to make a post about this but decided not to. There’s an older video of someone playing music through the PA too. Makes me wonder if the panel for it isn’t actually secured in any way?
Indeed both on SWR 444s. Wonder if it isn't secured or guards forget to close it.

Makes me wonder if the panel for it isn’t actually secured in any way?
I’ve been noticing that a lot of guard panels on SWR’s desiros haven’t been properly locked recently. They should be secured and can only be unlocked by the guard’s key.

kacper

I’ve been noticing that a lot of guard panels on SWR’s desiros haven’t been properly locked recently. They should be secured and can only be unlocked by the guard’s key.
Perhaps from a badly secured middle cab too?

Recessio

Also depends on how it is secured. Anything with a carriage "T" key can be opened with a teaspoon handle, flathead screwdriver, even someone's house keys inserted at an angle.

I'm not familiar with PA panels but I remember on older trains a surprising array of panels was only secured with a T key. I hope it isn't the case here.

dingdinger

Also depends on how it is secured. Anything with a carriage "T" key can be opened with a teaspoon handle, flathead screwdriver, even someone's house keys inserted at an angle.

I'm not familiar with PA panels but I remember on older trains a surprising array of panels was only secured with a T key. I hope it isn't the case here.
Certainly is just a T/L key - which some have fallen into the wrong hands. Certain Gops seem to have locking issues and could probably even be opened with finger nails.
I think using the pa from the cab will override the handsets so that would be the short term fix for the guard-then after find out where the rogue announcements are coming from!

Recessio

Certainly is just a T/L key - which some have fallen into the wrong hands. Certain Gops seem to have locking issues and could probably even be opened with finger nails.
I think using the pa from the cab will override the handsets so that would be the short term fix for the guard-then after find out where the rogue announcements are coming from!
It's not just a case of them "falling into the wrong hands", they are also freely available because they are used in other industries, buses notably. Heck my gas meter box used a square key that's nearly identical on size.

I feel like safety critical components really should be behind something more secure than merely a square lock anyone can force open.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Where is the guard? I'd be dashing back to the cab ends to find the cretins. These people should be chucked off at the next station for violating conditions of carriage and given a penalty asap.

Established Member
May the lord strike thee down!!! (with two bolts of lightning, one flood, one plague and six specific railway bylaw prosecutions I can think of).

D6130

Established Member
I feel like safety critical components really should be behind something more secure than merely a square lock anyone can force open.
Fully agree. For years I have advocated changing the standard British carriage locks and keys to the much more secure continental 'Berne' type. I have always been shouted-down because of the expense and time which would have been involved. However, with the huge investment in new rolling stock over the last twenty years or so - much of it manufactured in Europe - the changeover could have been initiated easily enough.

lxfe_mxtterz

I'm sure I was told during traction training that pressing the "enable" button on the inside of any handset (cab or GOP) will override any unauthorised announcement, although don't quote me entirely on that as I (thankfully) haven't had to use such a function yet.

I am aware doing so will override the automated announcements.
These people should be chucked off at the next station for violating conditions of carriage.
That's certainly what I would be doing - at least refusing to move to train until they get off. Because frankly, as far as I'm concerned, it's a security breach if they've managed to gain access to a GOP, and if they can do that then they can also gain access to one of the cabs.

kacper

Where is the guard? I'd be dashing back to the cab ends to find the cretins. These people should be chucked off at the next station for violating conditions of carriage and given a penalty asap.
Wouldn't there be a byelaw offence too?

setdown

Out of all the TOCs for this to happen on, it's certainly ironic it's happened on SWR! ;)

Joking aside though, if the guards weren't required to repeat the auto-announcements almost verbatim, I wonder if miscreants would even know that this were possible?

Energy

Established Member

They should be more than a T key. We're unlikely to ever know but I suspect a guard panel was left open and the preacher was opportunistic rather than them carrying a T key around.

duffield

Established Member
They should be more than a T key. We're unlikely to ever know but I suspect a guard panel was left open and the preacher was opportunistic rather than them carrying a T key around.
I've seen guards attempt to close panels properly but the panel springing open subsequently due to train movement, I'd guess some of the latches are a bit marginal or seem to latch when they haven't.

Krokodil

Established Member
Fully agree. For years I have advocated changing the standard British carriage locks and keys to the much more secure continental 'Berne' type. I have always been shouted-down because of the expense and time which would have been involved. However, with the huge investment in new rolling stock over the last twenty years or so - much of it manufactured in Europe - the changeover could have been initiated easily enough.
175s did have them for the intermediate door control panels (which PA and buzzer aside would be dead unless you keyed in with a security key anyway). More modern units do have slightly better protected locks in some places where only proper T-keys will fit in, if the head is too long it won't turn.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Out of all the TOCs for this to happen on, it's certainly ironic it's happened on SWR! ;)

Joking aside though, if the guards weren't required to repeat the auto-announcements almost verbatim, I wonder if miscreants would even know that this were possible?
Agreed - live annoucements should only be required to be made if something exceptional occurs, including the recorded annoucements not working. Live versions are often garbled, too soft, too loud or drowned out by other noise from the microphone being used.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Years back, a young work colleague came into work with a big grin on his face. He told us that coming up from Gillingham, where he lived, he and a pal rode in a vacant guard's compartment that had been left open. The train had been held up several times on the journey, and as they approached Victoria, he announced over the tannoy, 'We regret the delay in the arrival of this train today. This is because of bubble-gum on the track at Sole Street.' As they walked through the carriage afterwards, they heard someone complain, 'Leaves on the line, now bubble-gum, whatever next?'

Steve4031

I remember a ride on Amtrak in the early 80s when I was a sophomore in high school. My father and I rode coach on the Crescent from New Orleans to New York City. A drunk preacher went on in Philadelphia and sat in our car. He started his sermon, and my dad mumbled and complained. I focused on looking out the window because this was my first ride on the NEC. After about 15 minutes of sermon, the conductor walked through and told the guy to be quiet. The preacher told him he was going to hell for interrupting his sermon. The conductor told him to be silent, or he would be put off. The conductor walked through the car and propped the door open at the end of the car. My dad complained about the track noise, and I enjoyed it. Dad wondered why the conductor would leave the door open. I told him I thought the conductor was laying a trap for the drunk preacher.

The train stopped in Trenton and then continued down the corridor to Newark. The preacher got going again. I kept looking for the conductor to come back. I was curious about what would happen next. The conductor came through the open door, and the preacher kept scolding. Suddenly, he stopped when he saw the conductor. He told the conductor, You are going to hell. The conductor said, "And you are going to Newark." I noticed the guy sitting on the bench on the Newark station platform as we pulled out for New York.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
There was the guy in and out of KX on the 312’s who got on the PA and always wanted to legalise cannabis. I don’t think he was ever caught.

Krokodil

Established Member
I remember a ride on Amtrak in the early 80s when I was a sophomore in high school. My father and I rode coach on the Crescent from New Orleans to New York City. A drunk preacher went on in Philadelphia and sat in our car. He started his sermon, and my dad mumbled and complained. I focused on looking out the window because this was my first ride on the NEC. After about 15 minutes of sermon, the conductor walked through and told the guy to be quiet. The preacher told him he was going to hell for interrupting his sermon. The conductor told him to be silent, or he would be put off. The conductor walked through the car and propped the door open at the end of the car. My dad complained about the track noise, and I enjoyed it. Dad wondered why the conductor would leave the door open. I told him I thought the conductor was laying a trap for the drunk preacher.

The train stopped in Trenton and then continued down the corridor to Newark. The preacher got going again. I kept looking for the conductor to come back. I was curious about what would happen next. The conductor came through the open door, and the preacher kept scolding. Suddenly, he stopped when he saw the conductor. He told the conductor, You are going to hell. The conductor said, "And you are going to Newark." I noticed the guy sitting on the bench on the Newark station platform as we pulled out for New York.
If someone were to tell me that I'm going to Hell, I remember that I must be in for the time of my life:

More than once over the past year I’ve seen the guard panel left open and kids have gotten ahold of the microphone, one time this happened the guard announced that police would be called and that they’d get kicked off the train (not sure if that actually happened though)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
More than once over the past year I’ve seen the guard panel left open and kids have gotten ahold of the microphone, one time this happened the guard announced that police would be called and that they’d get kicked off the train (not sure if that actually happened though)
He'd look a little silly if it did happen. No law has been broken. (Misuse of safety equipment on public transport would be really, really, really pushing it)

Not sure which train this it but a preacher has gotten a hold of the PA. Unlocked guard panel I presume?

Description: A video of the PA of a South Western Railway class 444 being used by a religious preacher.
Source: TikTok
This is so funny :lol:

zwk500

Veteran Member
He'd look a little silly if it did happen. No law has been broken. (Misuse of safety equipment on public transport would be really, really, really pushing it)
That very much depends on what they were saying over the PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.