• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved locos/stock hired back to mainline use?

fgwrich

Established Member
A bit of news on midlands railgen this evening regarding Class 50 Alliance locos 50007 & 50049, it seems that after the 'Mazey Day Cornishman' tour in June they will be losing their GBRf liveries for BR large logo blue
I’d be surprised if 007 retains its GBRf livery until then, as it’s already in Kidderminster having bodywork repairs at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExRes

Established Member
I’d be surprised if 007 retains its GBRf livery until then, as it’s already in Kidderminster having bodywork repairs at the moment.

Does seem a bit odd but the report comes from Rail Advent by all accounts, so perhaps not surprising

"Bodywork repairs have begun at Kidderminster in preparation for the livery change, which will take place at Eastleigh"

"The last time to see the two 50s in GBRf colours will be the Mazey Day Cornishman"

A tour with partially rubbed down locos showing a bit of stylish 'filler' livery?

fgwrich

Established Member
Does seem a bit odd but the report comes from Rail Advent by all accounts, so perhaps not surprising

"Bodywork repairs have begun at Kidderminster in preparation for the livery change, which will take place at Eastleigh"

"The last time to see the two 50s in GBRf colours will be the Mazey Day Cornishman"

A tour with partially rubbed down locos showing a bit of stylish 'filler' livery?

Ah, Rail Advent again. Bodywork repairs can be seen on the Class 50 Alliance’s Facebook page, including a “stuck over the top” panel removed from 007 revealing some of the Brunswick Green. I note that they do say repaints will be at Eastleigh so I’d expect at least 007 to be changed before the summer. Then again, even the 50 Alliance post does say the last time to see the pair in GBRF colours so who knows…

JKF

I’d say large logo was more ‘remembered’ if anything, a classic period for many enthusiasts, but can understand that might not be everyone’s perspective. Maybe the only class where every loco carried it (though not sure if 007 did - would have been green for 1985)

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I’d say large logo was more ‘remembered’ if anything, a classic period for many enthusiasts, but can understand that might not be everyone’s perspective. Maybe the only class where every loco carried it (though not sure if 007 did - would have been green for 1985)
Exactly. Although monastral blue was the de facto loco livery during the 1970s, large logo appeared in 1978 (upon 56036); and, from 1981, all the class 50s (including 50007 Hercules) received those colours.

If I recall, only three refurbished class 50's were outshopped in all-over blue until 50050 Fearless was retro-painted (D400) in early 1990s.

50007 swapped its identity to Sir Edward Elgar, back in 1984; and I well recall the uproar, when it emerged in green :D

Last edited:

Class15

On Moderation
That surprises me, given that large logo was not carried by most classes and BR Blue basically was.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
That surprises me, given that large logo was not carried by most classes and BR Blue basically was.
I read several anecdotal accounts, over the decades, which suggested that the all-over monastral blue was deemed the spawn of the devil because it negated the thought which had gone into many British Railways era diesel schemes (maroon Westerns / two-tone green Sulzer Type 2 and Type 4 / EE Deltic two tone green / etc).

As a youngster seeing a monotony of class 45s and 47s, all blue, it certainly seemed dull to me.

Large Logo livery, was seen as a refreshing (and a popular) change, to that dreary all-blue corporate era. Sectorisation took it a stage even farther.

Last edited:

D1537

If I recall, only three refurbished class 50's were outshopped in all-over blue until 50050 Fearless was retro-painted (D400) in early 1990s.
Six.

In order; 50006, 50017, 50019, 50001, 50047 and 50013. The next one, 50023, came out large logo.