• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Price War between York and Newcastle involving VTEC/TPE/XC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I have never found anything to support that view: the TSA seems to be quite clear that when you excess a fare, it is converted completely into the new fare, not a hybrid or a made-up fare, so the TOC-only restriction disappears - there is no fare with the TOC restriction into which it can be converted.

Interesting, as it has been said before on here several times that when you excess an Advance ticket into a walk-up ticket then the TOC restriction does still technically apply.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Having travelled on the 1857 York to Newcastle (TPE) service a few weeks back on a Saturday night, I can confirm that passengers, having been out drinking during the day in York, are more than willing to get very heated over ticketing matters. This concerns an advance ticket, but I can imagine that TOC only tickets will generate a similar response.

Two "gents" were booked on the 1853 VTEC service, and the guard politely explained to them that their ticket was not valid and that they'd have to buy new tickets to Darlington. They rudely refused and started slagging off the guard, calling him a jobsworth, screaming down the carriage blaming the trolley attendant, and as a result, the guard called ahead for BTP at Darlington while getting yelled at and threatened with complaints from the pair of them.

I later emailed TPE and instead commented on how well the guard had dealt with the situation.

As a regular traveller from Newcastle to York and Leeds however, I welcome the fare cut considering that the any permitted day return to York is absolutely insanely priced. That is coming from someone that knows that understands the restrictions, though.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Yes - that backs up my point, which is that (to an extent at least) it is up to the TOC to update their version of WebTIS e.g. to account for special or promotional fares. So TPE haven't done so, and VTEC have.

(If you read the post I link to, what I found strange was that the SWT Promo fares were only available on some but not all of the Trainline-powered sites - that's not what I would have expected.)

It's a messy situation.

VTEC definitely have, I suspect the new XC only route (00170) is still quarantined on the TPE site

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I dont know if this is at all in any way related but some XC Advance quotas on this and other North ECML flows seam to have changed of late with a greater number of lower teer ones being available. XC trying to create a bit more competition? Or an unusual and unexpected dropoff in demand? Iether way Im not grumbling!

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
...some XC Advance quotas on this and other North ECML flows seam to have changed of late with a greater number of lower tear ones being available.
How do you write your posts, do you use dictation software? I only ask because calling XC Advance fares 'low tear' (as in cry) seems appropriate given their usual eye-watering fares. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.