• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Are 918/968/972/982 being given a PRM (Lite) as these 4 were a follow on and Angel ones. All the other 153/9s are Porterbrook.

sd0733

Established Member
Are 918/968/972/982 being given a PRM (Lite) as these 4 were a follow on and Angel ones. All the other 153/9s are Porterbrook.
Im not really sure anymore either way. I believe theyve been purchased along with the other Angel ones (plus 302+374 for bits) but not sure what their future is.

On Moderation
I'll see if I can summarise the 153 situation with the ownership details added...

OwnerStatusUnits
PorterbrookFull PRM153320/323/325/329/333/361/367/369
TfW Rail (ex-Angel)Full PRM153303/312/327/353/362
PorterbrookPRM lite (complete or under conversion)153906/909/910/921/926
PorterbrookPRM lite (planned, in service not yet converted)153913/914/922/935
TfW Rail (ex-Angel)In service, no PRM work planned currently153918/968/972/982
TfW Rail (ex-Angel)Stored153374
TfW Rail (ex-Angel)Gone for scrap153302

Based on what has been said recently about TfW keeping 153s (eight being retained) that would suggest the five TfW owned 153s would either be joined by three more acquired from Porterbrook, or three extra conversions of the TfW fleet.

The_Train

Established Member
Not sure if this is the thread for this but I seem to have fallen behind on the TfW 158s going to Donny.
I've got 158819, 825, 836 & 841 as being there but I can't believe they are all still there so just wondering if anyone could confirm that they have returned to Wales. Same with 838 at Crewe ATC which I have as being there since March :lol:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not sure if this is the thread for this but I seem to have fallen behind on the TfW 158s going to Donny.
I've got 158819, 825, 836 & 841 as being there but I can't believe they are all still there so just wondering if anyone could confirm that they have returned to Wales. Same with 838 at Crewe ATC which I have as being there since March :lol:

Look at Post #1197 for up to date details

berneyarms

Established Member
I'd seen that post but was under the impression that related to refurbishment work whereas trips to Donny were for exams?
I’m the interests of avoiding confusion, perhaps it wouldn’t be a bad idea to set up a separate thread for the exams?

This one is trying to keep track of the refurbishments, and I’ll be honest that it only gets confusing if you start bringing in the C4 exams at Doncaster.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I’m the interests of avoiding confusion, perhaps it wouldn’t be a bad idea to set up a separate thread for the exams?

This one is trying to keep track of the refurbishments, and I’ll be honest that it only gets confusing if you start bringing in the C4 exams at Doncaster.

Do we really need a list for what are really routine Exams although they may have to travel away from their Home Depot. Such a list would have to be maintained up to date and, in the past, I've seen people full of keenness to do such tasks and then disappear after a time..

berneyarms

Established Member
Do we really need a list for what are really routine Exams although they may have to travel away from their Home Depot. Such a list would have to be maintained up to date and, in the past, I've seen people full of keenness to do such tasks and then disappear after a time..
Well that was my thinking to be honest too. I don’t think this thread is the place for recording the Doncaster trips.

This very thread has suffered the problem of the refurb lists not been maintained.

Hence I did the update above.

craigybagel

Established Member
If you think a 230 is a good idea for a four hour journey then I gather you haven’t been on one yet, especially not in summer.
Thought, not think. That was my view before they entered service, and the reality became apparent.

As for traveling on them, sadly it's true that I haven't. I made the 2 hour journey down to Bletchley only to be met with a rail replacement bus.....

wobman

On Moderation
Thought, not think. That was my view before they entered service, and the reality became apparent.

As for traveling on them, sadly it's true that I haven't. I made the 2 hour journey down to Bletchley only to be met with a rail replacement bus.....
The 230 cabs don't have opening windows just a basic air con and if that fails units out of service.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is to discuss Progress of delivery of cascaded stock to TfW

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Judging by the onslaught of mesages that TfW Rail twitter have been bombarded with this weekend from angry passengers stuck in sweltering trains "with no air con and no windows that open", I assume that when the 158s have gone in for their internal refurbs, the defective air con has been left untouched?
Ok, a lot has changed since the original W&B contract was awarded to Keolis Amey 3 years ago, but I'm pretty sure I remember when the contract was awarded that KA promised to "fix" the air con in the 158s. Has that ambition now been abandoned?
I asked about KeolisAmey's promise on the forums a while ago and apparently the plan was to fully overhaul/refurbish the air-con system, not replace it. I assume that overhaul/refurbishment has now been carried out (or perhaps it is part of the interior rebrand works - if so it would be interesting to know whether the air-con on the rebranded units is performing better than the ones which still have ATW interiors).
The 175 aircon has been dismal the last few days. The 158s have got some windows to open so do get a bit of a breeze. The 175s have been like mobile ovens.
Oh dear. Many years ago the class 175s appear to have the most impactful air-con - I remember one journey on a hot day where it was almost too cold on-board (and many winter journeys where it was too cold on-board).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I asked about KeolisAmey's promise on the forums a while ago and apparently the plan was to fully overhaul/refurbish the air-con system, not replace it. I assume that overhaul/refurbishment has now been carried out (or perhaps it is part of the interior rebrand works - if so it would be interesting to know whether the air-con on the rebranded units is performing better than the ones which still have ATW interiors).

Oh dear. Many years ago the class 175s appear to have the most impactful air-con - I remember one journey on a hot day where it was almost too cold on-board (and many winter journeys where it was too cold on-board).

The discussion is here and plenty of it:-

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/158%E2%80%99s-with-no-air-conditioning.166369/page-3

Admins Post #1216 refers

berneyarms

Established Member
What do people mean by prm lite? I assume everything except a prm toilet?
This post explains all .... post 1190 above.

berneyarms

Established Member
153 320 and 153 361 are with TfW and have been fully PRM refurbished .
153 335 is renumbered 153 935 and is also with TfW but is unrefurbished.

On Moderation

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I have a couple of quick questions here:

1) Are 153320, 153335 (former Anglia machine I believe), and 153361 are in Wales and in passenger service?

2) If so, what routes are they mainly allocated to?

153335 is 153935 and the 153/9s can only work attached to a fully PRM compliant unit.
They can be found working all over the TFW Network except north of Radyr (not cleared). .

Status
Not open for further replies.