• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caaardiff

Northern are waiting on 15 x 156 from EMR who are waiting 170’s from TfW who are waiting on 197 / Mk4 / 153’s. These will replace the 153’s (over which only 4 are diagrammed) but I’m not clear if they will also replace the 155’s.

Could TfW requirement for 8 x 153 be met by Northern’s compliant 7 x 155 ?
If you mean the long term 8 TfW intend to keep, the 8 are already in the fleet.
Any extra 153s would just be to support the current risk associated with the unreliable 769s.
I would think introducing 155s would require train crew training and route clearance, which is the last thing TfW need more of.
I can't see the 170s leaving before the 231s arrive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Northern are waiting on 15 x 156 from EMR who are waiting 170’s from TfW who are waiting on 197 / Mk4 / 153’s. These will replace the 153’s (over which only 4 are diagrammed) but I’m not clear if they will also replace the 155’s.

The 155’s are staying put.

Philip

On Moderation
Is it still unclear where the 175s will end up in the next year or so? It now seems nailed on that they won't be carrying on with their current duties because of 197s and loco hauled stock replacing them.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Is it still unclear where the 175s will end up in the next year or so? It now seems nailed on that they won't be carrying on with their current duties because of 197s and loco hauled stock replacing them.

Ask in about 12 months time. Nowhere near being decided yet as they are still on lease

Last edited:

wobman

On Moderation
There's only 2 TFW 197's built and only 002 is with TFW on test, the new GC mk4's need mods and lots of training.
So the 175's will be with TFW for another 12 months at least.

anthony263

Established Member
There's only 2 TFW 197's built and only 002 is with TFW on test, the new GC mk4's need mods and lots of training.
So the 175's will be with TFW for another 12 months at least.
Some in gwr want the class 175s. The lack of gangways let's them down

wobman

On Moderation
Some in gwr want the class 175s. The lack of gangways let's them down
They will initially go to longsight depot once they leave TFW, no TOC has shown any interest officially so far.
It's a shame TFW couldn't keep them though as they are nice units, more suited to longer journeys

Mollman

Established Member

The TfW 170s aren't the issue, it is West Midland's 170s which are needed by EMR but being delayed back lack of 196s from CAF.

Having 153s will allow flexibility in 2&3 car formations.

Energy

Established Member
Is that GWR staff, GWR management, or people living in the GWR region?
Clarence Yard has said before that Angel have approached GWR before about taking the 180s and it has been a firm no from GWR so I doubt management are interested in the 175s, this is off topic though.

6Gtraincrew

Are 153320 and 153935 going to be remaining in Wales for the long term?

I have noticed that 935 is on the 12:31 Manchester Milford Haven today - ideal for indulging in masochism if doing the whole end to end journey.
The 9 ex-Angel Trains ones are the ones staying on

sd0733

Established Member

I have noticed that 935 is on the 12:31 Manchester Milford Haven today - ideal for indulging in masochism if doing the whole end to end journey.
It isn't, it was swapped out at Cardiff on the inbound for a more suitable 3 car 175.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Many thanks for that.

I was going by the RTT website which still has it showing for the whole journey. Will it be updated accordingly for the southbound working, or is it stuck like that throughout?

I have found they stay there until they have another allocation

Parallel

Established Member

On Bank Holiday Monday, the 11:31 Manchester to Carmarthen was formed of a double dogbox and left passengers behind on the platforms at Stockport. Not surprised to see it was terminated at Cardiff due to delays caused by overcrowding.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
On Bank Holiday Monday, the 11:31 Manchester to Carmarthen was formed of a double dogbox and left passengers behind on the platforms at Stockport. Not surprised to see it was terminated at Cardiff due to delays caused by overcrowding.

A 2 Car 175 might have been in the same position. RTT says unexpected number of passengers but it's like that most days along the Marches

craigybagel

Established Member
A 2 Car 175 might have been in the same position. RTT says unexpected number of passengers but it's like that most days along the Marches
Indeed, there were 3 car 175s leaving people behind that day. Manchester Pride, Creamfields festival, and general Bank Holiday crowds combined to make for an especially busy day.

wobman

On Moderation
Indeed, there were 3 car 175s leaving people behind that day. Manchester Pride, Creamfields festival, and general Bank Holiday crowds combined to make for an especially busy day.

Like you say I don't think people realise TFW are very limited to what units they can use, there's no way TFW can strengthen the services to cope with such high demand like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

berneyarms

Established Member
Any news of Class 158 832 coming back from Crewe?

sd0733

Established Member
Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
The timetable change later this month will see more of the pre Covid timetable restored.

Between that and the end of the summer season rush we should see less overcrowding on services, though I'm looking forward in seeing what the implications are for unit diagramming to cover these extra services.

The Barmouth Bridge blockade will free up a few 158s for a while at least.

wobman

On Moderation
Indeed, I was hoping the door had been slammed quick enough for certain posters not to have noticed. Sadly it was not to be!

Anyway, moving back to the real world; the timetable change later this month will see more of the pre Covid timetable restored. Between that and the end of the summer season rush we should see less overcrowding on services, though I'm looking forward in seeing what the implications are for unit diagramming to cover these extra services. The Barmouth Bridge blockade will free up a few 158s for a while at least.
I wonder if some depots will cope with the rise in services !
It's bad enough now with a reduced timetable

berneyarms

Established Member
Can anyone confirm which class 150 is now being refurbished replacing 150 242?

I assume that both 153 913 and 153 922 are both still in Landore?

Status
Not open for further replies.