• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I assume these will have been fitted with the same Justine Harris announcements as were on the Voyagers (Harris is also fitted to LNER Azumas), although I must admit Virgin Trains’ comedy duo as heard on Pendolinos has grown on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rob F

Although the carriages are longer the bogie centres are roughly the same as a Mk3 with the extra length in the vehicle ends, hence why these are tapered. They have been designed to go pretty much everywhere a Mk3 can go.

DanNCL

Established Member
Will the 26 meter long carriages on these create any gauging issues at Birmingham New Street with some of the platforms being on extremely tight curves?
I can’t see it being an issue. 80xs handle Newcastle with tighter corners without issue.

Birmingham New St is not "on extremely tight curves".
Depends which part of the station. The lower numbered platforms that Avanti most commonly use no, but some of the higher numbered platforms yes.

Although the carriages are longer the bogie centres are roughly the same as a Mk3 with the extra length in the vehicle ends, hence why these are tapered. They have been designed to go pretty much everywhere a Mk3 can go.
And indeed some places a Mk3 can’t/isn’t permitted to go too, such as Newcastle P5/P6.

td97

Established Member
I can’t see it being an issue. 80xs handle Newcastle with tighter corners without issue.
Not quite

DanNCL

Established Member
Not quite
I remember that incident, and I seem to recall it was eventually established that the train wasn't at fault. A TSR was imposed on all trains through Newcastle East Junction (not just 80xs) for more than a year after that incident.

Burntisland however did have some early guaging issues with 80xs if I recall correctly.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That should be hung up in a frame somewhere. Taken across the whole country, gauge clearance specifically for 26m 80x variants is practically in railway myth territory.

DanNCL

Established Member
That should be hung up in a frame somewhere. Taken across the whole country, gauge clearance specifically for 26m 80x variants is practically in railway myth territory.
We’d be fooling ourselves to say there weren’t any difficulties accommodating 26m vehicles on the network. Work did have to be done at a few locations, for example Burntisland as I mentioned above, to accommodate the 800s. And if I recall correctly (which I may not be), much of the southern region is pretty much out of the question for clearing 80xs, much like it is for 23m stock too - there’s a reason the only 23m stock on the Southern region are DMUs and 444s. That said though, clearance issues for 26m stock aren’t anywhere near as bad as some seem to think it is.

Of course the Southern region isn’t an issue for the Avanti fleet as there’s no need for them to run there, and the WCML north of Wigan is already cleared for 80xs anyway. So barring any unexpected hiccups on the southern WCML or in North Wales, clearances shouldn’t be a problem for the Avanti 80x units.

td97

Established Member
Will the 26 meter long carriages on these create any gauging issues at Birmingham New Street with some of the platforms being on extremely tight curves?
Birmingham New St is not "on extremely tight curves".
Depends which part of the station. The lower numbered platforms that Avanti most commonly use no, but some of the higher numbered platforms yes.
The 805 and 807 are not an issue for the Birmingham New Street platforms. I ran modelling for the tightest curve platforms, P11 & P12, and the clearance results are fine.
Platform gauging is usually only problematic with vehicles with low footsteps like the 153 and 323.
With low radii curves through platforms, the track offset increases to compensate for end throw.

the WCML north of Wigan is already cleared for 80xs anyway
805 and 807 are different gauging profiles to 800/801/802.

Established Member
But why? When the body profile is the same, surely any actual modelling results should be identical, even if considered as a separate train.

DanNCL

Established Member
The 805 and 807 are not an issue for the Birmingham New Street platforms. I ran modelling for the tightest curve platforms, P11 & P12, and the clearance results are fine.
Platform gauging is usually only problematic with vehicles with low footsteps like the 153 and 323.
With low radii curves through platforms, the track offset increases to compensate for end throw.
Thought as much.

Although as they're exactly the same dimensions, any route cleared for 800/801/802/803 should in theory be able to be cleared for 805/807 without issues.

td97

Established Member
Thought as much.

Although as they're exactly the same dimensions, any route cleared for 800/801/802/803 should in theory be able to be cleared for 805/807 without issues.
Network Rail acceptance is a lot more than gauge clearance. It's worth adding that no 80x variant appears as "cleared" in the sectional appendix, despite obviously being gauge clear on the routes they operate, and currently run using a temporary gauging license. This is usually due to signalling or OLE issues.
But why? When the body profile is the same, surely any actual modelling results should be identical, even if considered as a separate train.
A few reasons could be the upgraded engines have a lower or greater weight which changes load distribution and centre of mass, or the vehicles have a different suspension system/damping.
This has always existed, for example 150/0 is different to 150/1 or 150/2 and 158 is different to 159. The ScotRail 153s are different to unmodified 153s, the list is endless...

Master29

Established Member
Anyone know the seating numbers per class in each case of train? I`m guessing the first-class section on 805's won't be many as Super Voyagers only have 26.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
805 - 299, 25 in first
807 - 451, 49 in first

So end coach only on the 805 and end plus a half-and-half composite on the 807? Sounds about right.

Would love to see a seating plan, though I don't think one has been released yet.

GWR 800s have 326 in a 5-car, so I think this pretty much confirms a very low-density, high-comfort layout (though obviously the buffet will take up some space). Not at all what I expected!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
First have a press release about dynamic testing commencing

https://www.firstgroupplc.com/news-and-media/latest-news/2022/161122.aspx

The first of Avanti West Coast's fleet of new trains leaves Hitachi Rail's factory to begin a two month programme of dynamic testing.
  • Key landmark achieved as the first newly built Avanti West Coast train leaves Hitachi Rail’s Newton Aycliffe factory
  • Dynamic testing to take place at Network Rail’s Rail Innovation and Development Centre
  • New fleet on course to enter service on the West Coast Main Line in 2023
The first of Avanti West Coast’s new fleet of trains has begun dynamic testing at Network Rail’s Rail Innovation and Development Centre (RIDC) in Leicestershire.
In a major milestone for the £350m project, the Class 805 bi-mode train, which was built at Hitachi Rail’s Newton Aycliffe factory in North East England, will travel under its own power at speed for the very first time.
Unit number 805001, still sporting its base livery, is expected to remain at RIDC for most of November, before being joined by a second train (805003) to undergo further testing. Both trains will then move to Oxley depot (in the West Midlands) to begin an intense period of main line testing.
The new fleet will be a mix of ten seven-carriage electric trains and 13 five-carriage bi-mode trains, with the ability to switch seamlessly between electric and diesel power. The electric trains (Class 807) will operate between London, the West Midlands and Liverpool while the bi-mode version will be focused on the London to North Wales route.

D365

Veteran Member
Which really is what the 805s should be numbered as
158s have different engines, and even the subclass /8 shares Perkins and Cummins engines.
There are enough differences between most AT300 builds to warrant separate classifications. It's better this way than to lump all vehicles under one class; case in point, the Class 37 & 47 TOPS allocations are a mess.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
There are enough differences between most AT300 builds to warrant separate classifications. It's better this way than to lump all vehicles under one class; case in point, the Class 37 & 47 TOPS allocations are a mess.
Yes, but it's the lack of consistency I hate. You have almost identical stock like 801 and 803 separated purely because of how they were ordered, and then 377/3 and 377/7 in the same class.

QSK19

Yes, but it's the lack of consistency I hate. You have almost identical stock like 801 and 803 separated purely because of how they were ordered, and then 377/3 and 377/7 in the same class.
Would have thought that 801s having one diesel engine and 803s having a battery to retain hotel power would constitute a sufficient enough difference to warrant separate classifications; but yes, I completely agree that the lack of consistency is daft!

D365

Veteran Member
Again there are technical reasons for each. TOPS is [almost] as much for the engineers as it is for ops.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The various 377s is the one that bugs me.

Established Member
The second unit for Avanti, 805003 is being hauled tomorrow from Hitachi Merchant Park to Old Dalby for testing as part of a 10 car set with 805001.

JackOnTheMove

On Moderation
I personally think its a huge upgrade and is very much worth the cost.

I am not much of a fan of the class 221 (voyagers) due to the bumpy ride.

I would also like to know where the 221's will go after they are retired from the AWC fleet