• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
New trains are always welcome but these Class 800’s are becoming a plague! There’s too many of them.
I wish more operators would order those excellent Stadler Flirts of the type Greater Anglia have.
You would need a 125mph version for Avanti (90mph on diesel), which is not on Stadler's shelf for the UK, unlike Hitachi's.
And a small fleet like that wouldn't be "built" in the UK.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brubulus

You would need a 125mph version for Avanti (90mph on diesel), which is not on Stadler's shelf for the UK, unlike Hitachi's.
And a small fleet like that wouldn't be "built" in the UK.
Stadler does make a 125mph version of the FLIRT for foreign markets, it could be done very easily by them so that is not an issue if an operator got DfT permission for a new Stadler intercity order(very unlikely).

RailWonderer

Established Member
Stadler does make a 125mph version of the FLIRT for foreign markets, it could be done very easily by them so that is not an issue if an operator got DfT permission for a new Stadler intercity order(very unlikely).
Back in 2016 when GA won the long term franchise they approached Stadler directly without the DfT under a pure franchise system and back then they had all the season ticket revenue and an increasing number of passengers with predictions set only to rise so it was a right place right time kind of order. The DfT if anything were only asking for modernisation in light of the increase in demand and that was that.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Back in 2016 when GA won the long term franchise they approached Stadler directly without the DfT under a pure franchise system and back then they had all the season ticket revenue and an increasing number of passengers with predictions set only to rise so it was a right place right time kind of order. The DfT if anything were only asking for modernisation in light of the increase in demand and that was that.
That was in the far-off days when DfT were "hands off" on franchise rolling stock procurements, other than the big 800/801 and 700 fleets which they fronted.
However Northern had to get specific SoS permission to go for a new CAF fleet, in order to eliminate the Pacer fleet, as their business case was initially rejected.
I'm not sure if Stadler has delivered a 125mph version of the Flirt, and even if they could it might need re-engineering for UK standards.

QSK19

I'm not sure if Stadler has delivered a 125mph version of the Flirt, and even if they could it might need re-engineering for UK standards.
I believe that Stadler put in a FLIRT-based bid for EMR’s new-IC fleet (which, as we know, was awarded to Hitachi). If that’s true, then such a version could presumably be viable for the UK.

Trainbike46

Established Member
I believe that Stadler put in a FLIRT-based bid for EMR’s new-IC fleet (which, as we know, was awarded to Hitachi). If that’s true, then such a version could presumably be viable for the UK.
The way I understand it, Stadler offered something for the new EMR IC fleet, but it may have been a UK version of the SMILE, a faster FLIRT or some hybrid between the two

Energy

Established Member
The way I understand it, Stadler offered something for the new EMR IC fleet, but it may have been a UK version of the SMILE, a faster FLIRT or some hybrid between the two
There was an image somewhere (think in a Stadler document) and it looked like a SMILE. The SMILE is heavily based of the FLIRT.

william.martin

On Moderation
So when will testing/ training begin?
Am I correct that for test and training runs they will be based at Oxley?

Jammy Dodger

Stadler does make a 125mph version of the FLIRT for foreign markets
Back in 2016 when GA won the long term franchise they approached Stadler directly
I believe I read somewhere during the initial rollout of the 745's in 2020 that they are 200kph capable, up from the current 160kph, all with some minor modification to the power train (motors, gearbox, etc.). This was done to safeguard the potential for line speed increases on GEML in the future. Discussion for anther time, I feel...

AJDesiro

Are the 805s running up to Glasgow on this?

I don't know for sure, but the return path is pathed as 80X on electric (presumably changing to diesel for the non-electrified curve to the salop), so it's likely that it could be.

Bob Price

5Q30 running today, just passed the Railcam Bushbury camera. Will be on the Crewe cameras about 9.40. Not sure if 001 or 003.

AJDesiro

Found a post on twitter, showing that the seats in first class are FISA LEANs, not surplus pendolino seats from the coach G conversions. Will be interesting to see if this is a better variant (perhaps wider?) than that used on a 745 or not.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Found a post on twitter, showing that the seats in first class are FISA LEANs, not surplus pendolino seats from the coach G conversions. Will be interesting to see if this is a better variant (perhaps wider?) than that used on a 745 or not.
None of the ambience and premium feel of the Pendolinos in first here. Seats are the same FISAs as the 745s in first but even those feel more premium with the fake wood, grey panels and dark fabrics in the coach. The cushion will be the same but only a more confortable moquette than the one on the 745s might make a difference.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
To be fair these units are for secondary services which will likely carry cheaper ticket prices (the Brum semifast and the second, slower Liverpool) so is this actually out of kilter?
I’d personally see them as a downgrade for Chester from Voyagers, but seeing as Liverpool’s fast, Manchester and Scotland will be thoroughly Pendolino operated, I’m less fussed.

AJDesiro

None of the ambience and premium feel of the Pendolinos in first here. Seats are the same FISAs as the 745s in first but even those feel more premium with the fake wood, grey panels and dark fabrics in the coach. The cushion will be the same but only a more confortable moquette than the one on the 745s might make a difference.
One thing is, in my opinion, pictures of the refurbished pendolino interior don't seem to catch the ambience anywhere near as well as in person, but that's just my opinion. I for one want to wait until I actually see it for myself, which hopefully shouldn't be too soon living on the Euston-Brum semifast. It’ll be nice to have a choice of a 390 (Manchester service) or an 80X.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’d personally see them as a downgrade for Chester from Voyagers

Offset, I'd say, by the VERY significant capacity increase. 5.80x has about a third more seats again than 5.221.

Debatable, though. Worse in some ways but better in others. Probably averages out.

One thing is, in my opinion, pictures of the refurbished pendolino interior don't seem to catch the ambience anywhere near as well as in person, but that's just my opinion. I for one want to wait until I actually see it for myself, which hopefully shouldn't be too soon living on the Euston-Brum semifast.

Yeah, 2 of MKC's 3 Avanti trains should be these. I'm looking forward to it - other than the seats in most of them I like 80x, they certainly have bigger windows and a more spacious feel than Pendolinos, and I already know I like the seats in the refurbs a lot.