• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Established Member
There also seems to be a path from Oxley to Bounds Green (Via Peterborough) in the evening

Then straight on as 5Q91 to Doncaster Carr depot, presume for some attention on Wheel Lathe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aquamanda

Hi, I saw on the RTT that 805005 did 5Q83 today. I notice that the schedule is an STP FSSuX from 15/01/2024 to 18/01/2024. Does this mean there will be more 805s doing the same run on the subsequent days?

Established Member
Hi, I saw on the RTT that 805005 did 5Q83 today. I notice that the schedule is an STP FSSuX from 15/01/2024 to 18/01/2024. Does this mean there will be more 805s doing the same run on the subsequent days?
As they are Q paths they will run if required. They may run each day, or may not run rest of the week.
Best thing is on the day of the path has auto activated, ie 1 or 2 hours before departure, highly unlikely to run, if it’s been manually activated, ie a random time then there is a very high chance it will run.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Waiting to depart Glasgow Central and 807002 has just turned up at platform 2 looking a mess! Good wash needed.

Waiting to depart Glasgow Central and 807002 has just turned up at platform 2 looking a mess! Good wash needed.
Had done 2 trips to Glasgow this week on Wednesday and Thursday. The rather grimy state no doubt reflects the temperatures. With no washing being done.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Saw 805008 leaving Euston Platform 10 at 14:06 today Friday 19/01/2024. It mentioned Liverpool in its window displays.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Had done 2 trips to Glasgow this week on Wednesday and Thursday. The rather grimy state no doubt reflects the temperatures. With no washing being done.
Any reason why the 807 visited Glasgow Central as they're not planned to visit Scotland in traffic?

mmh

Established Member
Has anyone used or seen anyone use the coat hooks on 80x trains? They never seem to be in a sensible place; even on older trains such as the Voyagers they are behind and over your shoulder so you end up partly leaning on your coat and hoping that the people behind aren't rifling through your pockets.
On Voyagers they're movable on tracks rather than fixed to the sidewall, which is a nicely thought out little design, but probably not obvious at all. I can't think of another train with similar.

YorksLad12

Established Member
On Voyagers they're movable on tracks rather than fixed to the sidewall, which is a nicely thought out little design, but probably not obvious at all. I can't think of another train with similar.
You might be one of the few people who knows/knew that, so thanks for sharing!

Established Member
Mileage accumulation for the unit believe it made a third visit today .
No Avanti staff involved, it is crewed by GBRF.
Also far easier to obtain a path on that section of like than on the southern section.

AndrewE

Established Member
Looks like it is not too far off from being in service then!
not until Avanti have got enough staff trained on them - and they can't even crew their Pendolinos at the moment! I bet a minimum of 6 months away - and we shall probably see more trains stripped out of the timetable to release them for it.

Established Member
Looks like it is not too far off from being in service then!
That’s standard for them to have destinations displayed when testing, as they need that for when doing door release at stations

Boodiggy

Presumably overnight servicing will take place at Edge Hill?
Not aware of the reason. Either for training for the Lime St driver managers (they get trained before the drivers) or simply to create space at Oxley with the reduced timetable this weekend.

H&I

That’s standard for them to have destinations displayed when testing, as they need that for when doing door release at stations
Hopefully they have barriers at the doors to prevent passengers from boarding a train that is still under test.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Hopefully they have barriers at the doors to prevent passengers from boarding a train that is still under test.
I had not thought to check that. It looked like a bunch of Avani staff had got off at the London end so it was possibly taken back out by a different crew.

One is EMR, one is Avanti unit.
Thank you for the clarification.
It is mentioned in February's Modern Railways (just received) that the Old Dalby test track is currently out of action following a landslip and so presumably on-going commissioning work on 810001 for EMR is taking place during overnight runs on the ECML instead (5Q08-15) as well as mainline acceptance testing of new sets for Avanti.