• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

XAM2175

Established Member
The 810s will presumably have the raised floor throughout as 4 engines on a 5 car unit will require at least one of the driving cars to have an engine.
Formed DPTS-MS-TS-MC-DPTF; HV transformer carried by the TS vehicle, gensets on the others.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

themiller

So, to correct the code in post#181, it should read DPTS - MS - MS - MS - DPTF unless one of the MS has changed to a MC.

Last edited:

themiller

Does the middle vehicle have traction motors, then? I thought it didn't.
I assume so as all of the non-driving cars on the 8xx 5-car fleet are motored. The extra diesel genset was to increase the acceleration rate so dropping the number of driven axles may have had an adverse affect on that.

Domh245

Established Member
I assume so as all of the non-driving cars on the 8xx 5-car fleet are motored. The extra diesel genset was to increase the acceleration rate so dropping the number of driven axles may have had an adverse affect on that.

It was to increase the acceleration rate on diesel. 2 vehicles with motors on (especially if the motors are uprated as reported waaaay back in the 810 thread, where these posts probably should be!)) may still be more than enough to put down all the power that can be gotten out of the genset, especially when considering that the original 80x design was designed around a 140mph max speed (and with an abundance of caution, from which learnings could have been made)

XAM2175

Established Member
Doesn’t the T refer to a trailer rather than a transformer with M designating a vehicle with traction motors?
Does the middle vehicle have traction motors, then? I thought it didn't.
No, only the second and fourth cars carry traction motors on the 810s, hence only those cars having M codes. There's no special code for a vehicle that carries an engine but doesn't use it to drive the wheels of the vehicle carrying it.

The T is code for trailer, defined as having unpowered axles - which for EMUs and DEMUs will be vehicles without traction motors. The position of the transformer is ignored, so it's just a co-incidence that the the TS vehicle has the transformer in it.

in the 810 thread, where these posts probably should be!
An especially pertinent observation!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder that this thread is for the discussion of the Class 805/807. For discussion of the class 810 please use this thread :

Established Member
The first Hitachi class 805, 805001 is booked to Move to Asfordby Test Centre (Old Dalby) on Tuesday to commence testing.

Path is shown below from RTT:-

50002Superb

The first Hitachi class 805, 805001 is booked to Move to Asfordby Test Centre (Old Dalby) on Tuesday to commence testing.

Path is shown below from RTT:-

I’m guessing this isn’t happening?

It doesn’t appear to have been activated on RTT

_toommm_

Established Member

Established Member
805001 currently sat on the test track at Hitachi Merchant Park, first time I’ve seen (or aware) of on the test track.

Last edited:

Established Member
A video below from YouTube of 805001 on the Hitachi test track at Newton Aycliffe, believed to be first time out on the track:-

To note, the path to move 805001 to Old Dalby, is now in the system for Tuesday next week:-

5Q61 Merchant Park - Old Dalby
66 + 1 x 5 car 805
Retimed for next Tuesday
Approx Dep 11:21 Merchant Park via ECML to donny, Lincoln, RR Peterborough NY, Melton Mowbray, Old Dalby Arr 19:09

*providing nothing changes*

Last edited:

Samzino

Established Member
Seems from the video that the 805 hasn't got the headlights seen in the advert, might be early days tbh, I'd assume the real headlights could be easily put in come the final paint etc. But from what I've seen so far looks pretty stock:
1667427955553.png1667427970291.png

Established Member
Seems from the video that the 805 hasn't got the headlights seen in the advert, might be early days tbh, I'd assume the real headlights could be easily put in come the final paint etc. But from what I've seen so far looks pretty stock:
View attachment 123073View attachment 123074
The headlights are the ones that are in the train now!

Bare in mind in the picture the train is an 802.

Don’t take too much of a artists impression.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
View attachment 123073View attachment 123074
Surely it's more likely that it's the other way around - that those are the headlights they will have full stop and those in the adverts were simply artistic licence?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From that video it looks like most of the seats in the intermediate carriages are set round tables AND align with the windows! The Coach D experience lives on!

Looks to me like 8 tables per intermediate - that's not bad by modern standards (though the 76 seat Mk3 had 10). If aligned to windows the legroom will be excellent - the 80x windows are First Class bay sized. Should be a bit Chiltern-Mk3-esque by the looks of it!

I'm fairly surprised they're not shouting loudly about this kind of upgrade - TPE did of the 397s.

Also looks like there will be a buffet (from the two blanked out windows on one of the intermediates).

Actually looks to me like everything the "long distance" GWR ones should be (other than that they should be 9 car).

Established Member
Looks to me like 8 tables per intermediate - that's not bad by modern standards (though the 76 seat Mk3 had 10). If aligned to windows the legroom will be excellent - the 80x windows are First Class bay sized. Should be a bit Chiltern-Mk3-esque by the looks of it!

I'm fairly surprised they're not shouting loudly about this kind of upgrade - TPE did of the 397s.

Also looks like there will be a buffet (from the two blanked out windows on one of the intermediates).

Actually looks to me like everything the "long distance" GWR ones should be (other than that they should be 9 car).
Buffet is same size as the LNER type, although they have glass displayed counters.

Master29

Established Member
Looks very much like a mini buffet there too. Or perhaps a shop as per the 221's

Master29

Established Member
Which really is what the 805s should be numbered as
I thought the same thing a while back seeing as the 802's are all with First Group, but I think the 805's have enough differences underneath that perhaps justify a separate class altogether.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I thought the same thing a while back seeing as the 802's are all with First Group, but I think the 805's have enough differences underneath that perhaps justify a separate class altogether.
Different engines for one