• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I didn't dispute that. I just pointed out that HS2 benefits London to Birmingham, everywhere north of there gets slower trains and, to my absolute amazement, the Planner tells us that intermediate stops at useful junctions like Nuneaton cannot be accommodated in the timetable.

I think you are conflating matters.

HS2 is not giving slower journeys to everywhere north of Birmingham, quite the opposite for the vast majority of journeys on the WCML.

But HS2 wont be open for the best part of a decade, and this timetable change is nothing to do with HS2. Nuneaton has more calls in services on the WCML than it has ever had, IIRC. So im not sure what your point is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshguy1048

Afternoon

The 805 is on test tomorrow from Oxley to Holyhead

Dave

Boodiggy

Speeds for the two miles of reverse curves through Weedon at the moment are 100/110/120 (PS, EPS 221,EPS 390).
So 350s (and 87s and anything else non-tilt) do 100.
Voyagers do 110 EPS, a speed which will presumably be decommissioned soon, and Pendolinos do 120.
We wait to see what 80x will do when they come in (assuming the MU signage is commissioned by then, otherwise it will be the PS 100).
Everything does 110 through Kilsby Tunnel, just to the north (no EPS).
I think Weedon stays 100 but PS 90 EPS 115/125 on Down at Linslade becomes 90 PS 100 MU 125 EPS

The gap in EPS between Carpenders Park and Watford Tunnel on the Down is also removed.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
I think Weedon stays 100 but PS 90 EPS 115/125 on Down at Linslade becomes 90 PS 100 MU 125 EPS

The gap in EPS between Carpenders Park and Watford Tunnel on the Down is also removed.
Linslade becomes 90 PS/MU and 125EPS.

The only down 125 MU south of Rugby is Harrow to the 14mile post and between 32 and 39 miles, so Tring to south of Leighton Buzzard. 125 MU between Shilton and Nuneaton. 125MU between Crewe Coal Yard and Weaver viaduct with a little blip of 120 of the Weaver near Hartford. About 30 miles of 120.

On the Up, 125 MU from Weaver to Coal Yard. 156miles to 151½ and Milton Keynes to Bletchley. About 30 miles of 120.

Boodiggy

Detail I have for the project shows 100 MU at Linslade on Down only! Remains a 90 PS on UF.

Energy

Established Member
Not sure its an improvement as the running times are simulated currently. I suspect the minute saved will get ironed out relatively quickly.
Is 1tph still stopping at Nuneaton?

As far as I can tell (though I've only checked a few weekdays in December) is gone, though London - WM - Scotland is 1tph regularly.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Is 1tph still stopping at Nuneaton?

As far as I can tell (though I've only checked a few weekdays in December) is gone, though London - WM - Scotland is 1tph regularly.
It will end up back in the Manchester at some point.

Merle Haggard

Established Member

Looks like there's still 2 Blackpool trains on the Euston - WM - Preston route with obviously no Scottish ones those particular hours. As an aside, the evening Blackpool via the T.V. seems to have become a 5Q for some reason.

AndrewE

Established Member
Looks like there's still 2 Blackpool trains on the Euston - WM - Preston route with obviously no Scottish ones those particular hours. As an aside, the evening Blackpool via the T.V. seems to have become a 5Q for some reason.
What evening Blackpool? I can't see an evening one - or a Blackpool starter. (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...14/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=passenger&order=wtt) It's good that all the (non-Blackpool) class 9s to and from Glasgow are to come back though, I just hope that Avanti actually run them.
However, given their cancellation of 1/3 of the Saturday Manchester trains a month before the announced withdrawal, I'm not optimistic about any service improvement promised by the shower running the show at the moment. I wonder what the new excuse will be in a month's time?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
What evening Blackpool? I can't see an evening one - or a Blackpool starter. (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...14/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=passenger&order=wtt) It's good that all the (non-Blackpool) class 9s to and from Glasgow are to come back though, I just hope that Avanti actually run them.
However, given their cancellation of 1/3 of the Saturday Manchester trains a month before the announced withdrawal, I'm not optimistic about any service improvement promised by the shower running the show at the moment. I wonder what the new excuse will be in a month's time?
I do wonder how, while struggling to have enough drivers, Avanti expect to manage more services and with another fleet to learn on top of the 390s ?.

Merle Haggard

Established Member

1P94 17.07 Euston - Blackpool. Shown in RTT on 1/11/23 as WTT but cape train crew. Not sure if its every day though.

AndrewE

Established Member
1P94 17.07 Euston - Blackpool. Shown in RTT on 1/11/23 as WTT but cape train crew. Not sure if its every day though.
OK, it's in on the 5th Dec too, but it has disappeared by 14/12/23! You wouldn't want a beefed-up service in the run up to Christmas, would you?

Merle Haggard

Established Member
OK, it's in on the 5th Dec too, but it has disappeared by 14/12/23! You wouldn't want a beefed-up service in the run up to Christmas, would you?

Yes, it was one of those cases where I check a few random dates in RTT, find a WTT train, and afterwards you can't find it again :D .
The morning Blackpool seems a favourite to cape if there's a crew shortage. Fine, except it provides the morning business peak Euston- Birmingham service, perhaps they don't realise that (or don't care).

Energy

Established Member
Liverpool trains are stopping at Nuneton vice Manchesters.
It will end up back in the Manchester at some point.
Thanks, with a 40 minute connection at Nuneaton it doesn't make my Liverpool - Coventry/Kenilworth area journey much easier.

Changing at Crewe instead isn't much different, the London - WM - Scotland services have previously been irregular intervals though they currently seem consistent.

JW4

Afternoon

The 805 is on test tomorrow from Oxley to Holyhead

Dave
RTT showing 5Q90 as cancelled due to a signalling power failure

norbitonflyer

Established Member
First one in service 18th December I’ve heard, 9G08 08:16 Euston to New Street is what I’ve been told to watch out for!
If this is happening, what would the rest of the diagram be? Looking at platform numbers on RTT suggests it might be

5R02 0429 Barton - BNS (p4)
1R02 0550 BNS-EUS (p7)
9G08 0816 EUS-BNS (p7)
1B34 1021 BNS-EUS (p7)
5U34 1219 EUS to carriage sidings
5G32 1550 ECS to EUS (p2)
9G32 1616 EUS-BNS (p7)
5G32 1808 BNS - Barton under Needwood

But presumably Barton (where the Voyagers are kept) would have to be replaced by Oxley if that's where the 805s are going to live.

Doveymain158

If this is happening, what would the rest of the diagram be? Looking at platform numbers on RTT suggests it might be

1R02 0550 BNS-EUS (p7)
9G08 0816 EUS-BNS (p7)
1B34 1021 BNS-EUS (p7)
9G32 1616 EUS-BNS (p7)

But presumably Barton (where the Voyagers are kept) would have to be replaced by Oxley if that's where the 805s are going to live.
How accurate is the 18th Dec not convinced they got enough staff trained on them.

baker_06

1R02 0550 BNS-EUS (p7)
9G08 0816 EUS-BNS (p7)
1B34 1021 BNS-EUS (p7)
9G32 1616 EUS-BNS (p7)

805's won't be going to Barton...

They will be stabled at Oxley, Wolverhampton.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
How accurate is the 18th Dec not convinced they got enough staff trained on them.
It's not a very demanding diagram, so it should be feasible as an interim diagram. Perhaps they will keep it at those four services until January, just to say that they've introduced the fleet this year.

AndrewE

Established Member
It's not a very demanding diagram, so it should be feasible as an interim diagram. Perhaps they will keep it at those four services until January, just to say that they've introduced the fleet this year.
good point... do we remember the "introduction" of Mk III stock on the N Wales to Manchester airport services - was that (not) it?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
good point... do we remember the "introduction" of Mk III stock on the N Wales to Manchester airport services - was that (not) it?

TPE: one run Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport and back on the 30th of December 2017 (I was on it!)

M60lad

With Virgin Trains liveried coaches, to make it all the more confusing :)

Not really that confusing as it was the old Virgin Pretendalino Stock that was used and it was planned to use this stock on some TPE services at the time (I forget which ones) but the plan was eventually shelved before even starting due to accessability problems with the stock from what I can remember.