• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Out of curiosity, would anyone happen to know which 805 was on 5Q90 Oxley - Crewe this morning?

Thanks in advance.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Wikipedia cites Page 9 of the January 2024 issue of Rail Express (issue number 332) as saying that the introduction into service of these trains is now planned for Summer 2024:
So the same First Group that got these into traffic on Lumo pretty quickly now want to drag this out but then they aren't taking any financial just sending the bill to DafT. This is the industries problem and it needs to set up a taskforce with the unions and the suppliers to sort out how long its taken to get new stock into service.

steeevooo

So the same First Group that got these into traffic on Lumo pretty quickly now want to drag this out but then they aren't taking any financial just sending the bill to DafT. This is the industries problem and it needs to set up a taskforce with the unions and the suppliers to sort out how long its taken to get new stock into service.
How do you know that it's FirstGroup specifically dragging it out? Also Lumo was an entirely new operation so would surely be easier to get up and running instead of having to deal with existing fleet, existing personnel and existing baggage (not the physical kind!).

How do you know that it's FirstGroup specifically dragging it out? Also Lumo was an entirely new operation so would surely be easier to get up and running instead of having to deal with existing fleet, existing personnel and existing baggage (not the physical kind!).
As part of the construction process, each train needs to complete a pre-determined mileage accumulation process. If there are any problems the clock starts again at zero mileage.
Lumo is built to it's specification and is an electric only train. The 807 will be similar but not the same as a Lumo. Although the 807 is built to another specification and has more coaches.
The 805 is a dual mode train similar to the LNER Azuma but built to a Avanti specification.

During the acceptance process the trains are crewed by GBRF. Then Avanti needs to train their train crew on the new trains. So it is a conract thing that the trains will not be used in service till probably around June.

So much patience is necessary till trains are cleared to carry passengers and Hitachi are finally paid for construction.

Welshguy1048

Morning

Just spotted this STP path for an 805 to Holyhead on Monday morning - no return yet...

Could this be it is going to be left at Holyhead....?

Dave

Carlisle

Established Member
During the acceptance process the trains are crewed by GBRF. Then Avanti needs to train their train crew on the new trains.
That’s what I thought too, but another poster claimed they’re actually being driven by Avanti Driver Managers.

Established Member
That’s what I thought too, but another poster claimed they’re actually being driven by Avanti Driver Managers.
There’s a mix of trains out and about.

Some are still Hitachi/Gbrf runs, others are operated and crewed by Avanti.

Boodiggy

I understand there is now an agreement to train drivers once sufficient instructors are ready.
I don’t know the full details but I believe the agreement will be reviewed regularly so I assume there are still risks about the passing out of enough drivers to be ready for the Voyagers being sent back on time.

childwallblues

Established Member
I understand there is now an agreement to train drivers once sufficient instructors are ready.
I don’t know the full details but I believe the agreement will be reviewed regularly so I assume there are still risks about the passing out of enough drivers to be ready for the Voyagers being sent back on time.
Which depots train crews will need to be trained on the 805s?

Boodiggy

As far as I know it is only the driver managers and some instructors trained so far so I would assume a substantial number of drivers will need released to be trained in the coming months for all depots.

Established Member
As far as I know it is only the driver managers and some instructors trained so far so I would assume a substantial number of drivers will need released to be trained in the coming months for all depots.
Excluding Glasgow as they will not be diagrammed to go north of Preston, unless things have changed

craigybagel

Established Member
Holyhead and Liverpool will have to sign them for Holyhead and Wrexham services, and 1 link at Wolverhampton for Shrewsbury. With 807s expected to run some West Midlands & Liverpool services you can probably add the other links at Wolverhampton and at least some Euston drivers to that. According to a Preston driver I spoke to recently one link there will be signing them as well.

Boodiggy

Holyhead and Liverpool will have to sign them for Holyhead and Wrexham services, and 1 link at Wolverhampton for Shrewsbury. With 807s expected to run some West Midlands & Liverpool services you can probably add the other links at Wolverhampton and at least some Euston drivers to that. According to a Preston driver I spoke to recently one link there will be signing them as well.
Must be for the Blackpool’s…

Excluding Glasgow as they will not be diagrammed to go north of Preston, unless things have changed
Of course. I should have made that clear.

baker_06

Avanti are withdrawing the Shrewsbury service from June (DfT request apparently).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Avanti are withdrawing the Shrewsbury service from June (DfT request apparently).

Not massively surprised; with 2tph of connections via Birmingham New St/International a one off through service isn't going to be very attractive to most unless the time really suits. The unit would be better used on getting Chester closer to hourly again.