• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progression from Shunter Driver To Mainline Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyTinker

Hi,

This may have been answered somewhere, if so, I apologise.

I would like to know if I had recently passed out as a Shunter driver and an application for a previous trainee driver role at another TOC is being progressed will I no longer have to sit assessments even if this role requires a enhanced pass? And am I allowed to make the move to a trainee driver role at another TOC even though I’ve passed out very recently?

I’m also aware that you are not owed the progression to mainline through the TOC you pass out at as a Shunter driver.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
I don’t see why there is any reason why you can’t apply as a trainee driver even if you have only just passed out.
As for whether the other TOC will want you to sit the Psychometrics again, I don't know.
At our place if the Manouverers (depot drivers) want to apply for an internal trainee drivers position, all they have to do is the DMI & medical. We have had some go to other TOCs or FOCs but not 100% if the same applied to them.

notadriver

Established Member
Surely all a shunter driver needs is route learning and hours with an instructor on the routes they’ll drive ?

choochoochoo

Established Member
Surely all a shunter driver needs is route learning and hours with an instructor on the routes they’ll drive ?
They have to learn rules too. - I rode with a shunter driver the other day and they didn't know what a banner repeater was.

Hi all, I am just about to do this (hopefully). I applied for a mainline job before the shunters job. Got the shunters job however, just been interviewed for mainline role and sat in the talent pool. Best thing I would say to do is to speak to the TOC you have applied or thinking of applying for and ask the question.

DA1

Depends on your local TOC your talking about. I did the progression internally and didn’t have to sit any extra psychometrics (I did get enhanced with another TOC) but did sit a full rules course.

G30RG3

Hi all, I am just about to do this (hopefully). I applied for a mainline job before the shunters job. Got the shunters job however, just been interviewed for mainline role and sat in the talent pool. Best thing I would say to do is to speak to the TOC you have applied or thinking of applying for and ask the question.
Hi Railwaymania. May I ask what toc you completed your shunter process with and what the training process was like in terms of duration?

LCC106

Established Member
@G30RG3 just a heads up that some members don’t like to reveal their TOC or FOC as they may be identified at work by doing so.

Inthe4foot

They have to learn rules too. - I rode with a shunter driver the other day and they didn't know what a banner repeater was.

that’s not always true, if you hold a driving licence then you must sit full rules. I’ve only been on the railway a short time but my understanding is if the shed/shunt/depot drivers drive on network rail infrastructure they must be a fully competent driver ie rules/traction/route knowledge of station/shunts on network rail infrastructure. I’m currently a driver and love the shunt work, love the shed but our group is up next for mainline so hopefully be the start of next year :)

Hi Railwaymania. May I ask what toc you completed your shunter process with and what the training process was like in terms of duration?
hi i did mine with EMR, was a full drivers course followed by traction, then mentoring including learning the small routes (if can call them routes more like moves about 1/2 mile to a mile either side of the station)

the training process was fantastic and our instructor was fab, I was new to the railway and had. A mixed group about half and half external/internal

but I think each company has It’s own rules with shed drivers. you best of checking with HR of the company your interested in to make sure it’s the correct info :) good luck
we have to do 2 weeks high speed handling then mentoring then pass out. With other route learning as you move through links or availability comes up I also thinks there’s a minimum amount of shifts you have to spend I’m the routes learned on mentoring before can start learning new add on routes

notadriver

Established Member
that’s not always true, if you hold a driving licence then you must sit full rules. I’ve only been on the railway a short time but my understanding is if the shed/shunt/depot drivers drive on network rail infrastructure they must be a fully competent driver ie rules/traction/route knowledge of station/shunts on network rail infrastructure. I’m currently a driver and love the shunt work, love the shed but our group is up next for mainline so hopefully be the start of next year :)

hi i did mine with EMR, was a full drivers course followed by traction, then mentoring including learning the small routes (if can call them routes more like moves about 1/2 mile to a mile either side of the station)

the training process was fantastic and our instructor was fab, I was new to the railway and had. A mixed group about half and half external/internal

but I think each company has It’s own rules with shed drivers. you best of checking with HR of the company your interested in to make sure it’s the correct info :) good luck

we have to do 2 weeks high speed handling then mentoring then pass out. With other route learning as you move through links or availability comes up I also thinks there’s a minimum amount of shifts you have to spend I’m the routes learned on mentoring before can start learning new add on routes

What does mentoring involve ?

Stigy

Established Member
Hi,

This may have been answered somewhere, if so, I apologise.

I would like to know if I had recently passed out as a Shunter driver and an application for a previous trainee driver role at another TOC is being progressed will I no longer have to sit assessments even if this role requires a enhanced pass? And am I allowed to make the move to a trainee driver role at another TOC even though I’ve passed out very recently?

I’m also aware that you are not owed the progression to mainline through the TOC you pass out at as a Shunter driver.
No reason at all why you can’t go to another TOC, however you may find you’re contractually bound to stay where you are for a few years (though it’s debatable whether many TOCs would bother enforcing this)..

As for the psychometric assessments; if you’ve done them for your current role, then you don’t need to do them again, however it’s generally TOC/FOC dependent and they may insist you resit them. If you’ve not been tested to the enhanced standard and this is required with whom you’re applying, you’ll need to at the very least sit the enhanced assessments or have met the pass mark for these on your national standard assessments.

Status
Not open for further replies.