• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proof of Age / ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Established Member
Good morning all,

Just looking for some advice.

My partner, although over 21, is often asked for proof of age when purchasing alcohol etc.

Not usually an issue, as she carries her passport for ID, but as it is now becoming a bit tatty, I'm looking at what other forms of ID we can get her so her passport can be left at home.

I have looked at PASS accredited schemes such as Citizencard, but I am aware they are still refused in a number of places owing to widespread counterfeits.

With that in mind I was looking at getting her a provisional driving licence, so she could carry the photocard portion. However, being registered severely sight impaired, she fails the medical requirement to gain a licence.

So, with the lack of a national government ID card, does anyone have any suggestions as to a form of ID I haven't thought about?

Thanks for your help.

Daniel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

neilm

Provisional Driving licence is probably the best, it is cheapish and widely recognised.

Daniel

Established Member
The Citizencard claims to be the only UK Government approved ID. The CitizenCard embeds all the details within the chip including DOB.
http://www.citizencard.com/genuine-or-fake-.html explains all the security incorporated in to it.

Yes, I know they claim that, though I'm not sure how true that is! Nonetheless, it still seems to be refused in lots of places.

Provisional Driving licence is probably the best, it is cheapish and widely recognised.

Indeed - however, she can't get one, as I mentioned :(.

Yew

Established Member
A lot of my local pubs/ bars/ clubs will ONLY accept passport/ driving license, I wouldn't waste your money on a citizen card.

Citizen card do have a page on their website to report establishments not accepting it, I understand they then have worlds with the owners.

Murph

A lot of my local pubs/ bars/ clubs will ONLY accept passport/ driving license, I wouldn't waste your money on a citizen card.

Wow, the world has got massively tougher since I was young enough to need ID. In my day, they accepted anything laminated with a photo and DOB, including stuff printed at home or created with Letraset!

The only times I routinely carry my passport for ID is when abroad, although some places in the USA bizarrely actually tried to claim that it wasn't acceptable ID, and that they needed to see a photo driver's license (and I have a paper-only license, so that's a non-starter).

Nym

Established Member
The only times I routinely carry my passport for ID is when abroad, although some places in the USA bizarrely actually tried to claim that it wasn't acceptable ID, and that they needed to see a photo driver's license (and I have a paper-only license, so that's a non-starter).

That would be because they don't know what this 'pass-port' thing is... or that other countries even exist.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Wow, the world has got massively tougher since I was young enough to need ID. In my day, they accepted anything laminated with a photo and DOB, including stuff printed at home or created with Letraset!

How can a driving licence be a "more valid" form of ID than a passport? The whole point of a passport is that it proves who you are. :?

Trog

Established Member
Not a hugely useful suggestion in the circumstances of this case but personally I found that growing a beard made all questions of my age go away.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Colour-photocopy the passport in question? I do that and it's usually fine. (Not for buying alcohol, I'm a bit young for that ;) )

richw

Veteran Member
Colour-photocopy the passport in question? I do that and it's usually fine. (Not for buying alcohol, I'm a bit young for that ;) )

Not acceptable, due to photoshopping,etc, and many establishments flash the ID under a UV light to check holograms these days, although this makes me wonder whether a certified copy would be acceptable

telstarbox

Established Member
Many establishments have a policy of only accepting passport or driving licence as stated above, because the Citizen Card etc are too easy to forge. Also Citizen Card may phone up places which don't accept it, but pubs and clubs have a general right to refuse admission so not sure how much this changes things.

The ID policy is often driven by Trading Standards/Police sending underage people in to make test purchases - which can result in the loss of a premises licence if successful. I'm sure many publicans and corner shop owners couldn't care less if they served the odd 17yo by mistake...

Last edited:

Daniel

Established Member
Really simple suggestion but would a passport holder help?

I'm grateful for any and all suggestions! However we've tried this one, she's been using one already :)

Not a hugely useful suggestion in the circumstances of this case but personally I found that growing a beard made all questions of my age go away.

Even if I could convince her, I'm not sure I'd be too pleased!! ;)

I did email the DVLA asking if a photocard licence could be issued with no driving entitlement, explaining the situation. They've just replied refusing - so it seems the only form of official ID she can apply for is a passport, at a price of £72.50!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, nonetheless.

Monty

Established Member
How can a driving licence be a "more valid" form of ID than a passport? The whole point of a passport is that it proves who you are. :?

I can confirm this also, when on a trip to California a few years ago a local sports bar refused my passport as an acceptable form of ID. When I asked them how do I prove my age they said I needed a drivers licence (which I did not have at the time), I tried to persuade the chap behind the bar (I even present my MOD 90 army ID too) but they were having none of it. I left in the end and went to a bar who did accept my passport! :roll:

TEW

Established Member
I've worked in a Supermarket, and our policy was to accept a Passport, Driving Licence or any ID card with the PASS logo, which includes the Citizen Card. I must say though that I was hardly ever presented with a card with a PASS logo for proof of age, probably only seen on once or twice. 90% of the ID we saw was driving licences.

Eagle

Established Member
The only people with PASS cards in my experience tend to be those too young to get a driving licence. Their main use is to get you into 15-rated films at the cinema :P

TEW

Established Member
And I guess anyone ineligible for a driving licence for other reasons. Interestingly on a side note, in the supermarket where I worked we did accept foreign photo driving licences, provided we could understand the date of birth. Now, I probably couldn't tell the difference between a fake and genuine foreign driving licence, which makes the argument against Citizen Cards because they are easy to make fake copies of less compelling. I wonder if places refusing to accept Citizen Cards are happy to accept foreign driving licences.

richw

Veteran Member
And I guess anyone ineligible for a driving licence for other reasons. Interestingly on a side note, in the supermarket where I worked we did accept foreign photo driving licences, provided we could understand the date of birth. Now, I probably couldn't tell the difference between a fake and genuine foreign driving licence, which makes the argument against Citizen Cards because they are easy to make fake copies of less compelling. I wonder if places refusing to accept Citizen Cards are happy to accept foreign driving licences.

When I was 16 the easiest fake I.D to obtain was a foreign driving licence card.

The only person I know with a citizencard is visually impaired so not entitled to a driving licence even as a provisional

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I know this won't help the OP but can anyone confirm that certain States in the U.S. issue non-driving driving licenses so people who can't drive can still have an acceptable form of I.D.?

As an aside a young female colleague of mine (over 18 & possibly over 21 too at the time) was refused alcohol at a branch of Tesco when I happened to be at the next till. I offered to assist by verifying that she was over 18 and producing my Police warrant card & other bona fides. Was this acceptable? - No, it was not! Also I was informed that I personally was being refused the sale of any alcohol (I did not wish to purchase any so the point was moot) in case I later supplied my colleague with it. It was all rather surreal.

Eagle

Established Member
But sadly, entirely within the law. Vouching for someone is never a valid form of ID, no matter who you are.

And it's now common for the cashier to ask for everyone in a group (and yes, by saying you knew her you might as well have been in a group) to show ID even if they're buying separately; if one person doesn't have ID no one will be allowed to buy alcohol. It's because the shops are so terrified of a hefty fine if they are discovered to have supplied alcohol to a minor.

NathanPrior

I've been barred from many a pub who refuse my Citizen Card despite them having a sign on the door saying they accept it. People just don't have a clue now days.

Bungle73

On Moderation
But sadly, entirely within the law. Vouching for someone is never a valid form of ID, no matter who you are.

And it's now common for the cashier to ask for everyone in a group (and yes, by saying you knew her you might as well have been in a group) to show ID even if they're buying separately; if one person doesn't have ID no one will be allowed to buy alcohol. It's because the shops are so terrified of a hefty fine if they are discovered to have supplied alcohol to a minor.

Why sadly? Vouching for someone else doesn't prove anything, no matter who you are. Or are you saying at the immigration controls at an airport someone should be able to walk through with no passport because someone else "vouched" for who they are?

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Because in the USA, which the poster mentioned, many people do not have Passports, people do recognise what a UK Passport looks like, and a Photo Driving licence is one of the most commonly used ID items in the US.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
So by that logic, if someone has taken their kids to tesco they shouldn't be served alcahol...

...which is exactly what happened to a colleague of mine who went to Sainsbury's with her daughter.

I've seen this happen! The mother raised her voice, and most of the customers around all the tills were staring in disbelief at the cashier in question. You should have seen the face palm expression on the Manager who turned up to resolve the situation!

TEW

Established Member
It's because the shops are so terrified of a hefty fine if they are discovered to have supplied alcohol to a minor.

It's not just the shops either, the colleagues who sell the alcohol will themselves face either a fine or potential prosecution for selling alcohol to a minor, as well as disciplinary action within the company. It's always the better option to ask for ID and refuse the sale if none is provided, and the management will back you up.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So by that logic, if someone has taken their kids to tesco they shouldn't be served alcahol...

It is against the law to sell alcohol to someone if they are purchasing it on behalf of someone under 18, and it's something drilled into colleagues when they are trained. That said if it's a parent and child normally a simple check that they are purchasing the alcohol for themselves would suffice, it certainly isn't policy to ID children with their parents as standard. It is policy to ID a group of young adults though, it's simply too hard to tell who the alcohol is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.