• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

4F89

Going to be starting for FLHH next month, just wondering if I will have to have another medical for the PTS even though I just did one for FL? Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pete C

If your medical was to Network Rail standard (which I'm sure it will have been) then as long as it's less than 6 months old when they put you in for your PTS it'll be fine.

Stigy

Established Member
PTS is PTS isn't it? My current employer do all the PTS stuff internally, you still get a Sentinel card.
No, PTS isn’t transferable between TOCs/FOCs unless it’s done externally I believe (Or by obtaining a Sentinal card?...you have one of these and it’s internal so maybe it varies?). I have PTS through my TOC, but if I was to leave and join another company (fingers crossed), I’d have to redo it as it was done internally through our operations trainers (I don’t have a sentinal card).

I think the idea of Sentinal is that the holder could be working on any track and need a transferable system, whereas I’d only be working on certain infrastructure? Hence why it’s mostly engineering companies who use Sentinal. Also, my PTS was (until very recently) only valid on DC lines. Now there’s an audition for AC too due to a lot of areas having overhead power these days.

The medical however that one takes when joining a TOC or a FOC for any safety critical role should cover you for your PTS as well. Can’t think why it wouldn’t?

Last edited:

The One

I was told this too as it’s internal PTS it covers you on track but you couldn’t go and work on track maintenance with it as it’s not Sentinel.

DoubleO

You may well not require a new PTS but most safety crit roles require a medical as part of the job offer, irrelevant of how recently you last had one.

Elecman

Established Member
You may well not require a new PTS but most safety crit roles require a medical as part of the job offer, irrelevant of how recently you last had one.
Not necessarily If it’s recent, but it will require a new Drug & Alcohol screen though

Status
Not open for further replies.