• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Puzzled about the popularity of Trainline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The DJ

Maybe I am old fashioned but I have always booked my rail tickets on official TOC websites and conducted my Railcard business on the official Railcard website . Trainline apparently charges fees either on occasions or routinely that TOC websites don't charge. So what is the attraction of Trainline? I do understand its usefulness in the case of companies including blue chip companies but I cannot see any benefits for the general travelling public over the TOC's own websites.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
It seems to be a triumph of marketing and very carefully worded marketing materials - along the lines of “save x% with Trainline!!!” when in reality the saving is an advance vs an anytime.

Good marketing. Does everyone remember the catchy jingle “choo choo choo, make savings with the Trainline…”

Deafdoggie

Established Member
They have a very easy to use website which a lot of people like. People are used to paying fees for things. People on here don't mind paying trainsplit fees, "normals" don't mind paying trainline fees.

gg1

Established Member
User friendliness is one. If ever I want to check train times but not actually make a purchase I use the Trainline. Also if you're only an occasional rail traveller, you may not know the same ticket can sell for different prices depending where you purchase it.

When I do make a purchase it's usually from the TOC.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think you have to look past the fees issues for booking tickets via their site.
Trainline provide the back office system for many TOC web sites, so thy collect revenue on your tickets even if you avoid their own web site.
They also bought Captain Train in France (Trainline Europe) and so now also provide a booking service for European tickets via various national operators.
They also have a significant corporate travel service operation, and are leaders in developing retail travel booking systems and apps.
My guess is that they are "trusted" by the public as much or even more than the train operators.
When GBR starts up it will be interesting whether Trainline still has a role in UK ticket retailing.
It's not impossible that they might end up providing the central booking engine for GBR.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it's a mixture of first mover advantage (it was, I believe, first out of the gate for online ticket sales), excellent marketing and, recently, a very slick app (no TOC comes close) along with a slick website. Giving it a fantastic advantage when it comes to name recognition and a solid points for usability. Couple that with people generally expecting to pay booking fees (they crop up in almost every other walk of life) the disincentive of the booking few is significantly reduced. Especially on high value ticket sales. If I'm spending the thick end of £100 on a ticket for long distance journey do I care that much about £1 or £2 booking fee? Well, I do to be fair ! But I'm sure for many they don't. They also have the advantage of the fragmentation of the industry for instance I wonder how many people think you can only buy tickets for TOC A from their website and you can't buy tickets for TOC B but if you use the Trainline they can sell you tickets for anyone! As well as the catastrophic state of ticketing in general feeding into a sense of consumer confusion which I'm sure helps the Trainline with their slick marketing to emphasise the 'benefit' of their service.

That being said I am a Trainline customer! I use their app to buy tickets for on the day travel for which they charge no booking fee as I still find their app to be by far and away the best designed of anyone from TOCs or third-parties for ticket retailing and presentation of e-tickets.

Dave W

Try buying a ticket with them vs buying a ticket on National Rail (which even once you've navigated through the faff sends you to a TOC website). Their app is really very good.

It'd almost be worth the booking fee for that alone if I wasn't a confident user. As it is, I've only ever used Trainline once because I feel confident to get around TOC sites and find the best deal, so in that regard I *do* resent the booking fee but there are many people out there to whom that doesn't apply.

Begrudging good luck to them, I say.

Trackman

Established Member
User friendliness is one. If ever I want to check train times but not actually make a purchase I use the Trainline. Also if you're only an occasional rail traveller, you may not know the same ticket can sell for different prices depending where you purchase it.

When I do make a purchase it's usually from the TOC.
Same here.
I also echo the sentiments about the user-friendliness, some TOCs booking engines are dire and hard-work.
That being said I am a Trainline customer! I use their app to buy tickets for on the day travel for which they charge no booking fee as I still find their app to be by far and away the best designed of anyone from TOCs or third-parties for ticket retailing and presentation of e-tickets.
Well, I never knew the app had no booking fee, just for e-tickets I imagine. Shame they cant do this on the main website.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Consider that even when you tell people other sites have no booking fee, yet they carry on using the Trainline, it tells you something.

PeterC

Established Member
Top ad on Google search plus number 2 on organic results! That is all that matters when it comes to capturing the custom.

Ediswan

Established Member
Consider that even when you tell people other sites have no booking fee, yet they carry on using the Trainline, it tells you something.
Ther is no accounting for people. Local to me, some pay to use an ATM outside the newsagent when the Co-op, almost directly opposite, has an ATM inside which does not charge.

Dave W

Ther is no accounting for people. Local to me, some pay to use an ATM outside the newsagent when the Co-op, almost directly opposite, has an ATM inside which does not charge.

I don't doubt that there is a user base that just don't know that booking fees aren't applied by other rail ticket sellers, but the difference is here is that an ATM which charges does little - if anything - to enhance the experience over one that doesn't. That simply isn't the case for Trainline.

I'd love to see their user research findings.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

People have a "thing" about going into certain shops not for the purposes of buying anything.

(Our local SPAR doesn't bat an eyelid about people walking in only to use the cash machine)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, I never knew the app had no booking fee, just for e-tickets I imagine. Shame they cant do this on the main website.
On for on the day travel though to be clear! If you tried booking for tomorrow it would charge a fee again. I'm also not sure about e-ticket versus paper but as TVM collection has a higher cost of fulfillment I wouldn't be surprised if the booking fee came back at that point.

SteveM70

Established Member
Even a fee free ATM for the customer earns commission for the operator and landlord.

Which is why ATMs repeatedly ask if you want to check your balance (for free), because there’s a commission for that too

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Which is why ATMs repeatedly ask if you want to check your balance (for free), because there’s a commission for that too
And if they can get you to agree to printing a ministatement then cha-ching! The ATM operator can really rinse your bank with the fees :lol:

FenMan

Established Member
Trainline was also very astute back when online ticket sales were just starting to be a thing.

Their main competitor was Qjump, which I used as it had the best web interface by far. In 2004 Trainline acquired Qjump, grabbed a lot of of its software and then dumped the brand.

Cdd89

Established Member
Even though I sometimes think their service is money for old rope, the fact they have the best app by far suggests that good app design is not as easy as they make it look. I book same day tickets with TTL (I get a 1% discount with them via my card which makes them the best value) though nothing else; however I use the app all the time for viewing departures.

RJ

Established Member
Marketing. Thetrainline is generic and the masses know they can get tickets for any rail journey from there. Whereas people might not realise that you can do the same on a TOC specific website.

Also ease of use. Recently someone I know was travelling to Plymouth and went onto the GWR website could only see fares for £100+. But then went onto Thetrainline and found the Advance fares for a much better price. Whether or not they made a mistake on the GWR website, it clearly wasn’t easy enough to find the cheap fares so they lost the sale, whereas there wasn’t an issue on Thetrainline.

Of course I’m far more disappointed they didn’t consult me before making their purchase, not like they didn’t know ticket sales has been my profession for 10 years but there you go!

People may have their issues and gripes with Thetrainline but people are using them for a reason.

TUC

Established Member
Maybe I am old fashioned but I have always booked my rail tickets on official TOC websites and conducted my Railcard business on the official Railcard website . Trainline apparently charges fees either on occasions or routinely that TOC websites don't charge. So what is the attraction of Trainline? I do understand its usefulness in the case of companies including blue chip companies but I cannot see any benefits for the general travelling public over the TOC's own websites.
There are plenty of competitors, as set out above. Mind you, there's nothing special about using a TOC's site either. Surely all that matters is who offers the best functionality and most accurate information.

HST274

As a previous user I didn't know the abnormality of booking fees until I joined and found this forum. I certainly wasn't aware that none of the TOCs charge one.

mirodo

For me:

* Ability to use Apple Pay in the app
* Can add e-tickets to Apple Wallet directly from the app
* Can print an expense receipt directly from the app without having to go through the website

I have tried a number of other apps, but none I have found can do all of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.