• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Symbol 2 (the double arrow logo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
IET 802114 has had a Br white arrow on the cabside at one end since about 2021. I wonder was this some kind of trial that will eventually see the double arrow on the side of all stock on the network.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Has somebody managed to get paid to reprint the BR Corporate Identity manual? Great gig for those who can get it.

RailWonderer

Established Member
On page 20 it disallows the use of the symbol inside a circle, which I am surprised is not allowed. London Midland enclosed the NR logo into a red circle and it looked very modern and I would like to see more TOCs use it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 09.40.14.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 09.40.14.png
    528.5 KB · Views: 449

Lewisham2221

Established Member
On page 20 it disallows the use of the symbol inside a circle, which I am surprised is not allowed. London Midland enclosed the NR logo into a red circle and it looked very modern and I would like to see more TOCs use it.
I agree, the circle would have been my choice for an "updated" version of the logo too.

The document also only permits the use of red or black background for the white arrows.

The NRE website, both the old and new versions, enclose the arrows in a circle and use the wrong colours (blue on the old site, purple on the new version).

Edit: just re-read it and whilst it first states "The symbol may also be ‘reversed’ in white out of a red or black background." it then goes in the instruct how the logo should be shown against a different coloured, or photographic, background.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Has somebody managed to get paid to reprint the BR Corporate Identity manual? Great gig for those who can get it.

That was already reprinted a few years ago, crowdfunded as I recall. I managed to get hold of a copy, very interesting for people who appreciate good design.

zwk500

Veteran Member
That was already reprinted a few years ago, crowdfunded as I recall. I managed to get hold of a copy, very interesting for people who appreciate good design.
Indeed- and copies appear to still be available on some websites. From what I remember seeing of the manual, the NR document linked above is functionally identical to it. Could you do a brief comparison?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Indeed- and copies appear to still be available on some websites. From what I remember seeing of the manual, the NR document linked above is functionally identical to it. Could you do a brief comparison?

There really is no comparison - this new document runs to 30 pages, exclusively dealing with the double-arrow logo.

The Corporate Identity Manual (reprint) runs to 472 pages and features all aspects of BR lettering, symbols, trademarks and design including Sealink, Rail Freight, Rail Air Link, Motorail, Inter-City and so on.

It includes the entire Rail Alphabet in upper and lower case and relative dimensions / designs for all station signage such as platform, toilet, buffet and left luggage symbols, as well as BR liveries and how they should be applied to locomotives and coaching stock. Also BR uniform description and drawings, stationery and clocks. In summary, pretty much everything you could possibly imagine, in full colour and detail.

zwk500

Veteran Member
There really is no comparison - this new document runs to 30 pages, exclusively dealing with the double-arrow logo.

The Corporate Identity Manual (reprint) runs to 472 pages and features all aspects of BR lettering, symbols, trademarks and design including Sealink, Rail Freight, Rail Air Link, Motorail, Inter-City and so on.

It includes the entire Rail Alphabet in upper and lower case and relative dimensions / designs for all station signage such as platform, toilet, buffet and left luggage symbols, as well as BR liveries and how they should be applied to locomotives and coaching stock. Also BR uniform description and drawings, stationery and clocks. In summary, pretty much everything you could possibly imagine, in full colour and detail.
Sorry, I should have been clearer - the NR document appears to only have copied information from the BR Corporate Identity Manual. Obviously the BR one goes into more detail around everything else, I was just wondering which pieces of information in the NR document were substantively different from the equivalent in the BR manual, or entirely new.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Sorry, I should have been clearer - the NR document appears to only have copied information from the BR Corporate Identity Manual. Obviously the BR one goes into more detail around everything else, I was just wondering which pieces of information in the NR document were substantively different from the equivalent in the BR manual, or entirely new.

The new document goes into a lot more detail about the logo itself than the previous design manual, and of course the information about how the relative dimensions of the double arrow symbol have been changed are new. Also section 1.6 showing a digital version of course did not feature in the original document and section 1.7 regarding incorrect use goes into much more detail this time round.

In essence, the new document is far more detailed than the original, no doubt necessitated by the increase in scope for changing the appearance of the logo since the advent of computers, desktop publishing and so on.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The new document goes into a lot more detail about the logo itself than the previous design manual, and of course the information about how the relative dimensions of the double arrow symbol have been changed are new. Also section 1.6 showing a digital version of course did not feature in the original document and section 1.7 regarding incorrect use goes into much more detail this time round.

In essence, the new document is far more detailed than the original, no doubt necessitated by the increase in scope for changing the appearance of the logo since the advent of computers, desktop publishing and so on.
Good point about the digital version, hadn't twigged that had never been incorporated into BR (showing my age there, assuming computers have always been around)

12LDA28C

Established Member
Good point about the digital version, hadn't twigged that had never been incorporated into BR (showing my age there, assuming computers have always been around)

The original Corporate Identity Manual was produced in 1965, a good 20 years before home computers became commonplace.

zwk500

Veteran Member
If there's a lack of consistency in the manual then real world applications will be.. interesting. Though I struggle to think where double arrow flags would need to be positioned en masse!
Yes,
Fig 1.2.4 The top arrow always points to the right to reflect the two track UK system with left side running. The only exception to this rule is in the case of flags where the top arrow always points towards the hoist.
and
Fig 1.5.2 The flag should be produced from a single sheet of synthetic fabric. The top arrow of the symbol should point towards the right on the front (obverse) face of the flag.
Would seem to be difficult to meet in practice as the hoist is traditionally on the left of the obverse.

whoosh

Established Member
But if the hoist is on the left, and the top arrow pointing to the right, then the symbol is the right way round.

Or am I missing something?

zwk500

Veteran Member
But if the hoist is on the left, and the top arrow pointing to the right, then the symbol is the right way round.

Or am I missing something? 
If the hoist is on the left, 1.2.4 says the top arrow should point left, but 1.5.2 says the top arrow should point right (the hoist is normally on the left of the obverse, exceptions are for things like flags with right-to-left writing like Arabic).

I suspect the confusion may have arisen because in situations where the flag is mounted to a moving vehicle, like ships or cars, the hoist will be leading and therefore the flag should appear to point 'forwards', but where the flagpole is stationary it is usually meant to be read left-to-right.
So 1.2.4 should only apply to flags mounted on Ships, trains, planes or cars, and 1.5.2 only to buildings. There was a minor bit of tabloid panic when Boris had the ministerial plane repainted because the convention that the hoist is at the 'leading' end of the vehicle was applied to the livery, making it appear the wrong-way-round on the starboard side of the aircraft (the effect is most easily recognised with the American flag on Air Force One).

BR further confused matters as the Sealink flag (where the situation of 'hoist leading' was more common) was the inverse of the BR flag, as ship traffic runs 'port-to-port' or righthand running but obviously BR trains ran (generally) lefthand running.

HarryL

Worth noting the new symbol is made by the person who runs the Double Arrow twitter account (@_doublearrow). The details and changes will have all been deeply considered.

Their flag in fig 1.5.2 contradicts their rule in fig 1.2.4
Having said that, this is a good spot. Seems like the second sentence of 1.2.4 is an error. I imagine they actually intend flags to follow 1.5.2 and the former is an accidental copy paste from an old version or something. It's possible they're both true and that it neglects to mention specific applications too to be fair.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
So white on BR Blue isn't allowed any more, neither is the RR version!
Thinking back to the launch of the BR corporate livery and the launch of the XP64 stock I think the expected standard application of the logo was white logo on red background typically needing a red coloured patch to "host" this. That soon fell by the wayside, might a similar pattern follow now?

dd1

The symbol is enclosed in a circle on every paper ticket. And the colour is not red...

BR further confused matters as the Sealink flag (where the situation of 'hoist leading' was more common) was the inverse of the BR flag, as ship traffic runs 'port-to-port' or righthand running but obviously BR trains ran (generally) lefthand running.
Was the Sealink version officially an inverse of the BR logo, therefore indicating righthand running? I'm thinking of letterheads etc. Or was it only an inverted BR logo when used on flags or 'near-flag' circumstances such as when painted on funnels, therefore indicating hoist leading?

If always an inverse then it would resemble a proper BR logo in a hoist following situation when used on a flag, no doubt generating further complaints.

When watching TV news reports I'd often wondered why US military personnel would sport backwards Old Glories on their uniform sleeves. I suppose this 'hoist following' convention may have something to do with it. Rather than someone buying a job lot of mis-printed badges from the army surplus store.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Was the Sealink version officially an inverse of the BR logo, therefore indicating righthand running? I'm thinking of letterheads etc. Or was it only an inverted BR logo when used on flags or 'near-flag' circumstances such as when painted on funnels, therefore indicating hoist leading?

If always an inverse then it would resemble a proper BR logo in a hoist following situation when used on a flag, no doubt generating further complaints.
It isn't easy to find examples, but a google image search does return an enamel cap badge with the top arrow pointing right (i.e. the 'normal' BR version), on a Blue field and Sealink wording underneath.
When watching TV news reports I'd often wondered why US military personnel would sport backwards Old Glories on their uniform sleeves. I suppose this 'hoist following' convention may have something to do with it. Rather than someone buying a job lot of mis-printed badges from the army surplus store.
I'm fairly sure the American Cavalry regiments use the convention. not sure about infantry.

Status
Not open for further replies.