• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Don't know if it's a covid thing, like only a hour before departure now (was it 2 before?), but they are hoping to bring back the lounge service back at Euston for arrivals 'soon'. .. so they say.
It used to be 2 hours before and an hour after.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Avanti's desecration of the 1st Class Lounges and service onboard has been a great disappointment (particularly the increase in fares).

They said they were moving towards an Airline type experience in terms of Lounges and Onboard Service.

Which Airline - Ryanair ?

Sitting in the BA Lounge at T3 sipping complimentary Moet Pink Champagne - will that ever happen in one of their Lounges ?

To be fair even the current parsimony of their lounges still knocks LNER's "Tea and Biscuits" Lounge experience into touch :E

Butts

Veteran Member
It's currently closed due to "staff shortages", for who knows how long.

Perhaps Avanti will hand out vouchers to spend at other outlets to compensate 1st Class Passengers :idea: :idea:

Currently in the First Class Lounge at Birmingham International all on my own awaiting a Train to Edinburgh.

Entered bang on time exactly one hour before my Train is due.

Hot Drinks Machine, Cold Drinks in Fridge, Fruit, Banana Bread, Pitta Chips, Cakes and of course UGLIES !!

Just had to let two people in as the buzzer system has failed.

Still no Newspapers despite what it says on their website - unless they have all gone :( :( :( :(

Birmingham New Street lounge closed until Wednesday 18 May according to a notice on the door.

Birmingham International Lounge open - how weird is that ?

Last edited:

Are EMR planning on reopening the St Pancras lounge at all? I don't travel first class that often but I arrived quite early for my train today and it would have been nice - especially considering LNER over the road have theirs
I sent an email to EMR about their lounges and got this reply

I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment that the first class lounges being closed during your recent visit.

We have taken the difficult decision to close the first class lounges at the moment, and use the space as additional break out rooms for our staff to utilise. The reason for this is to prevent mixing of staff in confined areas, reducing the spread of Covid-19 and the risk of staff needing to isolate, meaning we can still operate planned services without disruption to our customers.

We do regularly review our current policies and procedures, and as soon as we feel it is safe to reintroduce the lounge for customers to utilise, our website will be updated.

I am sorry, in the meantime for any inconvenience and disappointment that this may cause.

Thank you for taking the time to get in contact with us.

Butts

Veteran Member

I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment that the first class lounges being closed during your recent visit.

We have taken the difficult decision to close the first class lounges at the moment, and use the space as additional break out rooms for our staff to utilise. The reason for this is to prevent mixing of staff in confined areas, reducing the spread of Covid-19 and the risk of staff needing to isolate, meaning we can still operate planned services without disruption to our customers.

We do regularly review our current policies and procedures, and as soon as we feel it is safe to reintroduce the lounge for customers to utilise, our website will be updated.

I am sorry, in the meantime for any inconvenience and disappointment that this may cause.

Sounds like Penny Pinching to me !!

Is GWR's Lounge at Paddington open ?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Bearing in mind the current rapid rise in infections it makes a lot of sense to help staff spread out on their breaks and hopefully reduce the number off sick.

Blinkbonny

Good - but somebody should try telling the Avanti Website that!

Birmingham International06:00 - 20:0006:00 - 18:0010:30 - 18:00Up the stairs from the platforms. Lift access available
Birmingham New StreetClosedClosedClosedLocated in the blue zone
Get Directions

Tester

Good - but somebody should try telling the Avanti Website that!

Birmingham International06:00 - 20:0006:00 - 18:0010:30 - 18:00Up the stairs from the platforms. Lift access available
Birmingham New StreetClosedClosedClosedLocated in the blue zone
Get Directions

How silly!

premier01

Does anyone know if the shower facilities a EUS are open? They have been closed on recent visits tbf

ScotTrains

The Manchester Avanti lounge was also closed at the weekend due to "unforeseen circumstances".

Last week I used the Glasgow lounge in the morning. They only had porridge pots and apples! No pastries, cakes, bakewells, muffins, yogurts, bananas, biscuits, popcorn, uglies etc that they always used to have when it was Virgin.

Expecting a cooked breakfast onboard, followed by light lunch I then find out 1st class is declassified on both the two Avanti trains to get me to Birmingham! They couldn't even give us water onboard!
Hungry and thirsty, I then I find out the lounge at Birmingham is closed! Luckily there is a free water machine just outside the lounge.
Avanti 1st class service is getting ridiculous.

Avanti were meant to be opening new 1st class lounges. One at Preston and I think a couple elsewhere. Does anyone know if this is still the plan?

Butts

Veteran Member
The Manchester Avanti lounge was also closed at the weekend due to "unforeseen circumstances".

Last week I used the Glasgow lounge in the morning. They only had porridge pots and apples! No pastries, cakes, bakewells, muffins, yogurts, bananas, biscuits, popcorn, uglies etc that they always used to have when it was Virgin.

Expecting a cooked breakfast onboard, followed by light lunch I then find out 1st class is declassified on both the two Avanti trains to get me to Birmingham! They couldn't even give us water onboard!
Hungry and thirsty, I then I find out the lounge at Birmingham is closed! Luckily there is a free water machine just outside the lounge.
Avanti 1st class service is getting ridiculous.

Avanti were meant to be opening new 1st class lounges. One at Preston and I think a couple elsewhere. Does anyone know if this is still the plan?

They had most of what you describe in the Lounge at Birmingham International when I was there last week.

At least you should get a rebate on your Ticket if 1st Class was declassified.

Some guy

They had most of what you describe in the Lounge at Birmingham International when I was there last week.

At least you should get a rebate on your Ticket if 1st Class was declassified.
Apparently it should still be going ahead it would be interesting to see where they put it

Blinkbonny

New Street closed until further notice, due to "unforseen circumstances!"

Let's hope the hordes at Rugby have better luck.

Butts

Veteran Member
New Street closed until further notice, due to "unforseen circumstances!"

Let's hope the hordes at Rugby have better luck.

Although ironically International is open.

However that is unmanned and they let you in via a remote buzzer on production of your ticket to the camera.

When I was there the other week it was broken and Station Staff had to use a code on the panel to let you in.

A point of interest there were a couple of young "Spotters" in situ who had Child 1st Class Tickets from BHI to Sandwell & Dudley. I only know this as they were helping me with the meltdown in services which resulted in me going back home and travelling the next day.

My £68.50 BHI-HYM ticket from that day (11th July) has just been approved for Delay Repay.

raveon

Anyone know if New Street is still closed? (Before I waste my time trying to access it today). Thanks

Tester

Anyone know if New Street is still closed? (Before I waste my time trying to access it today). Thanks
It's entirely unreliable at the moment. It has been open during the current period of nominal closure (sample of once), but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Interestingly I saw one of the regular lounge staff working a New Street gateline - she said that that was being prioritised at the moment.

Edit added:

If it happened to fit, Birmingham International lounge is much more reliable.