• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK Forums Ticket Gallery Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamybrian

Established Member
A further selection of London Travelcards from my collection from a bygone era.

Attachments

• scan0010.jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Peter, do you have any idea what type of machine it was?

Sorry, no - but there must be a record somewhere of what type was firred at Wimbledon on the date in question? I'd imagine it would have been one of those big vending machine sized NSE era ones?

Hassocks5489

Sorry, no - but there must be a record somewhere of what type was firred at Wimbledon on the date in question? I'd imagine it would have been one of those big vending machine sized NSE era ones?

This machine was an Avantix B8070 self-service machine - an upgraded version of an Ascom Autelca B8050 (the "Quickfare" machines of Network SouthEast fame). Certain Quickfare machines were upgraded from late 1998 onwards to offer a wider range of destinations (about 200) and to accept credit cards. Also, instead of a range of buttons to press for destinations and ticket types, there was a cash machine-style interface consisting of a screen with 5 buttons on each side.

The machines were something of a failure (although a few survived until 2008) - I've attached a technical paper which is a bit dry but which has some interesting observations (and a picture of part of the machine!)

Incidentally, the incorrect loading of Season Ticket stock into B8050 and B8070 machines was quite rare, but it almost always happened at stations in southwest London and Surrey for some reason! I have examples in my collection from Battersea Park, Putney, Wimbledon, Leatherhead and Epsom, but nowhere else...

Attachments

• TVMs Article.pdf
    473.1 KB · Views: 64

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Incidentally, the incorrect loading of Season Ticket stock into B8050 and B8070 machines was quite rare, but it almost always happened at stations in southwest London and Surrey for some reason! I have examples in my collection from Battersea Park, Putney, Wimbledon, Leatherhead and Epsom, but nowhere else...

Out of curiosity, do you have any from the same machine at around the same date as the one I posted? It might help put limits on that particular instance which could be of interest with regard to the project?

Hassocks5489

Out of curiosity, do you have any from the same machine at around the same date as the one I posted? It might help put limits on that particular instance which could be of interest with regard to the project?

I'll have a look next time I go to my parents' house - unfortunately my "Errors and Misprints" box is still there :lol: All being well, I'll be able to post a list of all examples I have seen together with dates.

Class 66's

I've got some on my desk, East Midlands and a couple London Midland, although one has black marker pen on.

BurtonM

At last, found my APTIS tickets! Typically my laptop charger is now on the blink, but when I can find a scanner (probably Monday - I'll be back at uni) I'll scan and upload what I have.
I see I've been beaten to the Olympic travelcard, though mine has a different date, and the green late 1990s one - mine is Euston to zone 1-3 though so I'll add for good measure. I also have a receipt from the Metrolink I can add.

matthewluck

Possibly this brightly coloured one may be one for the collection, can't see an example of one so far

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 150

Billy Hicks

This London Capitalcard is from the day I was born. My father kept it as a sort of souvenir as he rushed to the hospital.

I have a few more dating back to the early 1980s when my parents first visited London, not sure if any are particularly unique though.

hallamhash

the key smartcard

(hope this is of sufficient quality! I might be able to scan it in later next week if that's preferable?)

Attachments

• the key.jpg
    the key.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 92

BurtonM

At long last, andfter a fight with multiple broken scanners, here's everything I could do - in a .zip for convenience. Didn't really want to use my camera because there's a seemingly uncleanable mark on the lens.
Contents of the .zip:
  • 2011-12 Family and Friends Railcard
  • three British Rail Charter tickets from 1989
  • an APTIS Saver Return from 1998
  • a Travelcard from 1997
  • London 2012 Travelcard
  • Metrolink sales voucher
  • an old Supertram Dayrider

I was going to scan the back of a charter ticket (the magnetic stripe is quite big and there's charter ticket-specific stuff written on it) and the Wayfarer Supertram ticket I have, but the scanner packed up completely.

Done

Attachments

• tickets.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

Ash Bridge

Established Member
These were all tickets issued to me, including the LMS one issued in 1969! If of any use I will get them properly scanned, there are lots more too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 116

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The university library scanner is broken.
:roll:

No worries. Whenever you get a chance next.

the key smartcard

(hope this is of sufficient quality! I might be able to scan it in later next week if that's preferable?)

It does seem that some modern image editing software automatically crop images that end up being without a little of the borders. If you can get one with the borders intact then great. If not, I am happy with it.

These were all tickets issued to me, including the LMS one issued in 1969! If of any use I will get them properly scanned, there are lots more too!

That is awesome. I will need to do up a new section for historical tickets I think.

steamybrian

Established Member
That is awesome. I will need to do up a new section for historical tickets I think.

I have a large collection of historical Edmondson card tickets so please advise me of your requirements and I will check...
Pregrouping/ prenationalisation /closed stations /platform tickets catered for...!!!

Last edited:

ag51ruk

I have a large collection of historical Edmondson card tickets so please advise me of your requirements and I will check...
Pregrouping/ prenationalisation /closed stations /platform tickets catered for...!!!

I can offer pictures from a huge collection from the 80s and early 90s (many bought by me but some collected from my ticket office training days and some from friendly revenue staff) - includes many I don't know the names of but lots of INTIS and APTIS, Edmondson, pre-PORTIS on train tickets, London Underground of various types, original DLR/Tyne & Wear Metro/Metrolink and some unusual specials (boat trains, charter trains, etc). Thousands of individual tickets, possibly hundreds of different types. PM me if you want any examples.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't have a comprehensive list of tickets required but if anyone has scans of the following, please let me know.

• New style tickets (any);
  • EMT/ScotRail GroupSave;
  • Chiltern Small Group;
  • Network Daytripper Plus (West Midlands, £2 and £1.20 versions);
  • Void tickets (either already printed on or blank);
  • Inclusive tour tickets;

If you have anything else which is not already in the ticket gallery, please do get in touch. Your continued support is very much appreciated.

Edit: The updated list is now shown in the opening post.

cool110

Here's a pair of Merseyrail Day Savers in both the old "single" and the current "travelcard-like" formats.
EDIT: Better cropped versions

Attachments

• MEnew.jpg
    MEnew.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 136
  • MEold.jpg
    MEold.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 142

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Will you be able to upload one without the edges cropped? For some reason this seems to be a common theme with scanned images from many people and I have no idea whether this is due to the image processing software that comes with the scanner.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I think the DLR stock, change of ticket type XS, Advance change of journey are particularly of interest.

I only have two designs of Travelcards from Avantix machines, this and this, but both from fairly early on by today's standards.

Hello.

I've sent the the DLR stock one. Didn't get the "change of ticket type" excess in the end, however the Advance change of journey I'll scan soon, and I've just scanned the Avantix-issued travelcard (complete with PF warning at the back :D).

Others that I'll be scanning soon (or have just done) which I haven't mentioned before:
nNetwork Daytripper on the Network West Midlands stock, as well as the standard RSP orange stock.
South Pennines Day Ranger.
LUL-issued boundary zone extension.
Plusbus printed from different machines.
Car park ticket on orange stock.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Have a Permit to Travel from VT at Euston. Doesn't appear to be one in the gallery yet. Happy to contribute it.

Status
Not open for further replies.