• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Damn ! He was a doctor, wasn't he? -- gave his life in treating victims of an epidemic of something nasty. If this is right, and I were to qualify: open floor, please.

341o2

Established Member
Not quite. We have established that the bridge is named after Dr Daniel Carrión, but he did not die directly treating patients. Yes, there was an epidemic in the railway construction camps causing illness and death, so to complete the question, what was the disease and how did Daniel Carrión die?

341o2

Established Member
The disease in question was Verrugas or Oroya fever, it was argued at the time they were seperate. Likened to VD, it was believed to be a good sign if sores erupted on the body of the infected. It is now known to be a virus spread by mosquitoes (reminds me of Covid in people gathering in what was once a remote area). The Chilean Rotos were particularly susceptible and Mieggs needed them for construction work.

Can anyone give the cause of Daniel Carrión's death?

xotGD

Established Member
Forgive me for being picky, but "What was the cause of death of a doctor?" is rather stretching the topic of Railway General Knowledge! :smile:

Anyway: Pulmonary Embolism?

341o2

Established Member
Actually he injected himself with contaminated blood to study the effects of the disease which proved fatal
As Calthrop came the closest to the answer, on his request declaring open floor

SteveM70

Established Member
If I may....

Which short lived railway started in a place known as Dawson City, travelled about 5 miles, and terminated in what was pretty much the middle of nowhere?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
If I may....

Which short lived railway started in a place known as Dawson City, travelled about 5 miles, and terminated in what was pretty much the middle of nowhere?

Agh I can’t remember the name but someone told me about this when I worked in West Yorkshire (the county where I think this is?)

SteveM70

Established Member
Any more for any more on this? I’m really struggling to find a way of giving a meaningful clue that doesn’t give it away

DerekC

Established Member
My guess is one or more of the reservoirs between Todmorden and Ripponden - Withans Clough, Warland, Light Hazzles, White Holme and Blackstone Edge. I have no idea when they were built!

SteveM70

Established Member
My guess is one or more of the reservoirs between Todmorden and Ripponden - Withans Clough, Warland, Light Hazzles, White Holme and Blackstone Edge. I have no idea when they were built!

Getting closer. Try looking the other side of the valley

DerekC

Established Member
There's just so many! I am looking at the OS map trying to see any obvious railway traces. There's Widdop, Gorple and Walshaw Dean in the valley of the Hebden Water? Gorple looks a likely candidate, with maybe Dawson City in the outskirts of Hebden Bridge?

SteveM70

Established Member
There's just so many! I am looking at the OS map trying to see any obvious railway traces. There's Widdop, Gorple and Walshaw Dean in the valley of the Hebden Water? Gorple looks a likely candidate, with maybe Dawson City in the outskirts of Hebden Bridge?

I think we’ve got there in the end, and the floor is yours

This is the Blake Dean or Hardcastle Crags railway, an absolutely bonkers undertaking built to support the construction of the reservoirs at Widdop. Dawson City was on the edge of Heptonstall, roughly where Slack Bottom is now, and the railway - which was 3’ gauge - ran from there, along the top of the side of the valley, before crossing Hebden Water on a 100 foot tall pitch pine viaduct at Blake Dean, and continuing up to where the reservoirs were being built.

The engines and everything else required for the railway had to be brought up from the valley bottom by man or horse power - locos from Hebden Bridge via the road through Lee Wood, sleepers up from Gibson Mill in Hardcastle Crags. That’s about 550 feet of climb.

Once the reservoirs were built, of course, that was it. There are still some signs of it - the abutments of the viaduct and some of the earthworks.

This is a good page about it complete with photos - https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hardcastle-crags/features/dawson-city

DerekC

Established Member
Wow! That's a new one on me. You would have thought they might have put a cable worked incline in.

Staying in roughly the same area, what did Progress and May do to help Harrogate Corporation, and what was odd about them?

Whistler40145

Established Member
The Nidd Valley Light Railway was used to carry men and construction materials to the construction sites for the building of Angram and Scar House Reservoirs